Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 04:16 Go to next message
hey, has anyone had retreads done on their tyres in Sydney? Cause ive bought a set of 16's with bold tyres and im after some retreads. 205 45 16 and 195 45 16.

Wheres the best place to get them done in Sydney? and how much did you pay?

BTW. this is not a thread to debate the worthiness of retreads.
  Send a private message to this user    
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry but i thought retreads illegal on the front?
ive seen singes for retreads for $45.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terrykoun wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 14:16

Laughing good idea! probably wont stop some people, though...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terrykoun wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 13:46

What is the load and speed rating of the factory fitted tyre, as this will determine whether they are legal or not.

Still, they aren't worth shit. Retreads (except truck tyres) are not worth your life Rolling Eyes
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry don't know where to get them but try remoulds not retreads they are safer and not much more. mate had low profile remoulds actualy good tyres raited to 140kph although he did 200+ chassing a motor bike Shocked
just my 2c
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
81LOWLUX wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 15:17

sorry don't know where to get them but try remoulds not retreads they are safer and not much more. mate had low profile remoulds actualy good tyres raited to 140kph although he did 200+ chassing a motor bike Shocked
just my 2c

Reality is that they are VERY low quality.

They are speed rated to 'S' for a reason.

Lowlux, your mate is a goose, a0 for having retreads and b) for going that fast on public roads with reatreads.

As mentioned earlier, unless you car came from the factory with S rated tyres or lower, it is illegal for you to drive a car with them fitted, and moreso, for the tyre place to put them on in the first place.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
o i know he is a goose smashed on pot 24/7 go figure
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way i understand is that they just give you a whole new tyre with a retread they don't just chuck a tread on ur bald tyre.
Personaly i don't mind retreads on things like trailers but car wise anything other than a ford laser or a AE corolla i wouldn't use them.
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there,

Just my two cents here...

Well think about it this way. Tyres are the only thing that is keeping your car on the road well. One mistake with poor tyres can at least cause an accident with other cars and pedestrian and even cause a death or someone else and even yours. It is understandable that some people may be tight on money but it is not a good excuse to buy retreads for your vehicle. Just save a bit more or spend a bit more for proper tyres and Im sure you wont regret it.

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Retreads in Sydney Thu, 21 April 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 18:09

The way i understand is that they just give you a whole new tyre with a retread they don't just chuck a tread on ur bald tyre.

umm, no, a retread is exactly that, a tyre that has had more tread stuck on it. your much better off buying 2nd hand tyres then retreads, they are cheaper ($20 each) and better.

i will never, EVER run retreads, or ride in a car with them on Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Fri, 22 April 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes i know it's a blad tyre with a tread stuck to it but.......

I'm pretty sure they put them on a lathe and mill thenm down so they are even and look like a slick. Then I'd assume they do some sort of testing to make sure it doesn't have any holes and things like that. then they might stick the tread on i'm sure it would take a while for the glue to dry.

But what i'm trying to say is that if i walk in with 4 bald tyres they won't just stick a tread on them for me.

terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Fri, 22 April 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=skellator wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 15:08]

yea... worth a try.....

Ok wheres the best place to get 2nd hand tyres in Sydney?
Last time i bought 2nd hand tyres they costed 55 bucks each (195-50-15). They wore down pretty quickly. I just wanted to try retreads.
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Retreads in Sydney Sat, 23 April 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=terrykoun wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 12:55]
skellator wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 15:08

yea... worth a try.....

Ok wheres the best place to get 2nd hand tyres in Sydney?
Last time i bought 2nd hand tyres they costed 55 bucks each (195-50-15). They wore down pretty quickly. I just wanted to try retreads.

dont even contemplate retreads. as someone has already said a 1000kg car travelling on the road at 60-80kph only contact with the road is 4 patches of rubber the size of the palm of your hands. make sure those 4 patches are the best u can get. some food for thought.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Retreads in Sydney Sat, 23 April 2005 05:18 Go to previous message
i had retreads on my car when i bought it and in the wet they were absolutely shocking and scared me on quite a few occasions. if you look around you'll find a 2nd hand tyre place somewhere. when you do find one send me a pm Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My V6 Celica
Next Topic:Playin GT4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 01:37:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068440437316895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.