Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7M-GTE hunting at idle.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 03:51 Go to next message
Ok, my motor is sometimes doing some wierd things.

Firstly, I have cleaned the ISCV, and the throttle body, and as far as i can tell, the TPS was set correctly.

Sometimes when I start the car, it hunts, badly.
Like goes from 500rpm to 1500rpm and back to 500, in a perfect cycle.
If I give it a rev, it comes back below idle, and sits there for a sec, then starts doing it again.
If I put it in first, and let the car idle forward, it will still do it.
It sometimes stops when I turn the car off, and start it again, and it sometimes stops just on its own, but not always.
It doesn't do it very often either.

Now, if I unplug the ISCV, nothing happens.
I haven't checked the ISCV wiring yet, will do that this weekend.

When I had the ISCV and mounting plate off, there was a little blocking plate type thing inside the plenum, is this factory?
What is it?

As far as I can tell, there are no intake leaks, but I don't know if the BOV is leaking.

Also, I can get the car to stall if I rev it in gear to say 5000+, and then just put the clutch in and let the revs down.
It stalls.

I'm sure these are related.

Thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car also did this a couple of months ago, it is an automatic gearbox... if i took my foot off the accelerator whilst doing say 70km/h the car would nearly stall. The problem has since righted itself and hasn't occurred in probably 2 or so months

I'm also interested in any answers that anyone has!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classic symptoms of an intake leak. They can be a bitch to find on a 7M but it's there somewhere!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 13:56

Classic symptoms of an intake leak. They can be a bitch to find on a 7M but it's there somewhere!

Any thing I can use to help find it?
Like a spray powder? or flour or something?
Something that won't hurt the motor if it gets digested.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spraying WD40 around is sometimes useful; if you spray it on a leak you'll be able to see it. However with all the pipes and rubber hoses going all over the place on a 7M you'll probably end up having to pull everything apart and visually inspect the parts, which is what I ended up doing last time I was chasing similar problems on a 7M. Mad
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd use something that is Hydro Carbon based (Like WD40) as when you spray it, and it is digested by the engine, the engine will "stumble"
The best way to do this is to get the revs held at say 2000RPM or 3000RPM and SLOWLY spray up the intake... I say slowly because it might take a little bit for it to be ingested into the air intake...
The main point you'd be looking at IMO is after the AFM... Main reason, because the extra air isn't being counted...

Also spray plenty on so that it has plenty to ingest...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 14:09

The main point you'd be looking at IMO is after the AFM... Main reason, because the extra air isn't being counted...

You obviously havent seen a 7mgte.
There is about 3m of piping after the AFM
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 17:10

Kyosho wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 14:09

You obviously havent seen a 7mgte.
There is about 3m of piping after the AFM

No I haven't had much to do with a 7M... Although I want a MA70 Supra (7M-GTE)
That's the main reason I signed up here...

The other thing is...
Piss the stock ECU off, and buy an aftermarket one, and put a MAP sensor in...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Thu, 25 November 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 14:15

The other thing is...
Piss the stock ECU off, and buy an aftermarket one, and put a MAP sensor in...

Meh, I don't have a spare 2k just lying around, sunbaking on my front lawn.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Fri, 22 April 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you ever solve this problem? I've had an auto to manual conversion done by a mechanic... after getting in the car yesterday it was hunting at idle and running incredibly rich - i'm pretty sure he hasn't plugged a simple hose back in somewhere.

The check engine light did come on for a code 32 (Air flow meter) but I did have the plug to the AFM off previously whilst trying to find the problem.

I'd love any feedback you guys have

Dan
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Fri, 22 April 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you got mods done to the engine sometimes you can be pushing the limits of the factory ecu and this will cause it to do weird things like this.
and dont forget about your brake booster if a diaphram is on its way out it will cause a vac leak causing the idle problems
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Fri, 22 April 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was working fine before the manunal went in... I do have quite a few mods done on the engine but i wouldn't expect a manual box going in to cause this kind of issue unless something unforseen has been bumped off or not fitted correctly??

The brake bosoter is a good idea though, thanks!

Dan
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Sun, 25 September 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 7M also does similar things- when I put the clutch in the revs dive down to about 400rpm, and a second later will rise to around 700rpm (normal idle speed, i think)

It also sometimes does this when I first start it, but after a small amount of time it goes up to 700 again.

Intake leak? TPS? Very Happy Any help would be appreciated. Very Happy
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7M-GTE hunting at idle. Mon, 26 September 2005 01:23 Go to previous message
Friends Celica 3sge had these exact same symptoms. Took months to finally fix it. Actually tried heaps of things with no luck, in the end when we changed the headgasket (for other reasons) the hunting idle dissapeard.

Actually i will just shut up about now.
(talking about BHG in a 7M thread is likely to get my ass kicked)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2T Dieing
Next Topic:ma61 STOCK sway bar sizes ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:47:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054528713226318 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.