Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
icon9.gif  Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 06:12 Go to next message
hey guys hows it al goin?

im having a problem wif a new reco engine(was put in approx 6,000-7,000kms ago) that ive had put in2 my '86 celica. its blowing shitloads, and i mean shitloads of CO out tha bak Mad , ive had a dyno tuned/mixture test done n found out that it was putting put 5.5% CO (supposed 2 b only 0.5%) and the engine was running lean on fuel as wel.

newayz the mechanic thinks it might b dirty injectors, and he leaned the fuel right off 2 try an at least lessen the smoke, but it has helped a lil but the smoke is still a lil their, an its annoying tha hell outa me cose im very particular about my car. Sad

the engine has a brand new head on it as wel. I hav extractors 4-2-1, 2.5"(i think) piping and sports exhaust 2.5"

any help wot so eva would b greatly appreciated thanx Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So get the injectors cleaned...
I thought that would have been obivous???

Also, ask him how he leaned 2 injectors off, and why.
You just told us it was running lean, and so why lean it out more?

Also, take the car to an EFI DIAGNOSTICS PLACE.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did the oxygen sensor go back in with all the new exhaust bits ?
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys thanx 4 quick replies, yea jst got off tha fone 2 him bout 10min ago n thought id check bak here, he recons that tha computer jst needs 2 reset itself n giv it a week or so

CrUZsida
duno how he leaned off tha fuel but says hes done it n i believe him cose fuel eccon is beta even aftr only 1tank of fuel. il get tha injectors cleaned in a week or so, if the problem is still there.

ra23celica
i had 2 replace the oxygen sensor myself cose my old 1 was dead, did that wen the new engine went in, its a 4sge sensor tho because wen i went 2 bursons, were i get parts quick cose its near me, their sensor had a differnt connector on it, square instead of round, n yea i had a look thru tha catalog myself n found tha 4sge 1 that had my connector on it. would that overly make a differnce?

btw soz bout being so completely clueless on the matter Embarassed , duno a great deal bout cars, jst very basic stuff, but im tryin 2 learn more Smile

btw wen i had the test done it was done on a dyno with a mixture testing thingo, cost me a 6 pack of jack n cola! Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 07:24]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its just that you can't lean off injectors on a Toyota.

Infact, I've never heard of a Toyota motor that runs lean.
Most run rich.

EDIT: Just re-read your first post.
Please don't use leet speak and sms speak on this forum.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 07:27]

nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry about the short hand, habbit i guess... Embarassed

hmmm i'll have another chat to him reguarding it and find out how he did it.

i had originally thought that the car was running rich because ever since the new engine went in, the car hasn't had the same fuel ecconomy, i thought that it was just because the engine was tight, but now that you've said that i'm not sure anymore Confused but yeah i'll get onto him about it. thanks mate, your help is much appreciated Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Fri, 22 April 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are at all worried about the injectors, take them out, and get them cleaned.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Sat, 23 April 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a constant super rich mix is a sign of a dead temp sensor (ECU thinks engine is cold). the injectors can be cleaned on or off the car but it is rarely the problem that all of them are all-of-a-sudden buggerd, so they dont spray properly. if the oxy sensor is buggered from being exposed to certain silicone gasket sealants, then it has to be repalced; but in any case, its 'default' setting , wont cause it to run that rich. hope this helps
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Mon, 02 May 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey terry, what signs should i look for with a dead temp sensor? because my gauge in the dash looks to be working fine...

by the way its been booked in to have the injectors cleaned on wensday so i'll get them to have a look at the sensors just in case.

thanks so much for your help guys Smile its been a great deal of help to me, and i'll keep you posted on how it goes/
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Tue, 03 May 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nath,

I think the Temperature Sensor is seperate to the Temperature Sender.

The Temperature Sender drives your temperature gauge.

The Temperature Sensor is connected to the ECU which calculates the Injector timing buy the coolant temperature.
ie. More fuel when motor is cold.

Best thing to do would be buy the "Haynes Manual" for Front Wheel Drive Celicas. It will show you exactly where they are.
About $40 from Big W.

Cheers
T.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Wed, 04 May 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you ran the diagnosis?
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Wed, 04 May 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys just got back from picking up my car, $210 later. they did a sonic cleaning of the injectors, also checked out all of the sensors -there all fine apparntly, and they've checked all the mixture settings and made sure there right.

anyway its still blowing smoke, the guys at crossmember automotive did a great job, they sat down and explained what they did to the car and what they think the problem is. recomend those guys... Cool

so the car is now going to go back to where the engine was installed and those guys are going to have a look at it, and if they wont fix it, i'll be taking this matter up with consumer affairs because the engine has been doing it from the day i got it Confused

oh yea FWDCelica, yeah i've got one of those, absolutely brilliant thing, its what ive been doing my best to learn about my car from Smile
nath437
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Problem with 3S-GE Wed, 11 May 2005 00:55 Go to previous message
anyway had my car looked at by the guys who installed it on monday, and its not the engine, thankfully! the mechanic thought that it might be somthing to do with the air intake manifold, so we striped it down and pulled out all the hoses, about 90% of them were completely blocked with carbon! so we replaced a few and cleaned others, also we cleaned out the main part of the manifold(also worked out that my EGR valve and my Tempswitch for purge is both shot), and put it all back together again and started it up (got a nice big cloud of blue smoke from the carby cleaner Razz -havn't replaced the ERG and Tempswitch yet, thats in 2 weeks). we burnt of the carby cleaner and then brought it back into the workshop and now its only blowing a small back puff out the exhaust when the car is reved, so its a start.

Hopefully when i get the new parts in it'l fix the problem, or at least its a start Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much brake fluid?
Next Topic:Differential problem.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 00:23:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053770542144775 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.