Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Wed, 20 April 2005 23:38 Go to next message
Hi.

I was just wondering if it is ok to use silicon in worn engine mounts. I know people here have used sikaflex. I want the engine mounts to be fairly soft so that not much vibration is passed to chassis. The guy at the wreckors reckon people just use silicon. Anybody used silicon? Is it almost as good as the sikaflex?

Its just for an auto corolla, i.e. not performance application

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2005 23:38]

Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone? I want to go down at lunch to buy what is needed. Cheers
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used sikaflex on my engine mounts and it was pretty solid, still some movement but fairly hard.

I can't see why you wouldn't use silicon, just make sure you use shit loads of it!

Good luck.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silicon would be a bit softer right?

Cheers
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think silicon would be softer. i also used sikaflex.if your car is fwd, just try the front g/box mount first and see what you think of it.. ie. if its too hard, vibrations are bad..i only did my front g/box thou..

try the silicon though of u want. just experiment!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'll do that - it is the front gearbox mount that is broken.. I'll do it up with silicon first and see!!

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 01:35]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you get the old mount re-conditioned with proper material. This 'fix in a tube' can't be anywhere near as permanent as doing it properly, surely ?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because the polyurethane reconditioning will make the mount very hard = more vibration. Plus I am cheap.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure that there are many different grades of polyurethane that are not as hard as the stuff in the original mounts but better than silicon/sikaflex.
Have you priced up this option and spoken to someone who makes these for a living ?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What model corolla?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its an AE92 corolla automatic. There is a bit of vibration when in Drive sitting at the lights etc. The rubber in the front g/box mount was fully sheared. I have now filled it up with silicon. I just wanted to see if this mount being broken was causign the problem.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you trust the silicon in a tube with the weight of the engine PLUS the vibration?

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea, silicone would squish out prity quickly.

i used SikaFlex 255 or 252 (cant remember which one). i looked up the sika web site at all their grades and picked the one that looked like it had the most stretchy and setting/adhesive properties kinda.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW SIKAFLEX OR SILICON I WOULD USE NEATHER SILCON IS A SELANT OR A CAP FILLER I WOULD NEVER USE IT FOR A ENGINE MOUNT I QUESS THE ONE THAT BROKEN IS ONE THE SIDE WHICH GETS THE TORQUE TWIST AND SIKAFLEX IS USED FOR PUTTING WINDOWS IN AND STUFF LIKE THAT IT MIGHT BE STRONG BUT NOT THAT STRONG YOU NOW KHOW MUCH LOAD CAN GO ON AN ENGINE MOUNT PLUS THE SURACE WHAT YOU ARE JOINING MUST BE SPOT LESS NOT JUST CLEAN BUT SPOT LESS.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Thu, 21 April 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a spare broken mount so I have done it up with silicon, just waiting for it to dry for a few days. The old mount I take out I will probably do up with Sikaflex. I'll see how long the silicon lasts.

The standard mount is a strip of rubber and allowed to flex quite a bit. The mount will be better than being broken atleast. I have heard sikaflex works well but thought I'd try the silicon first to give more dampening. We'll see if the silicon survives the test of time!

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra_28 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 07:47

AND SIKAFLEX IS USED FOR PUTTING WINDOWS IN AND STUFF LIKE THAT IT MIGHT BE STRONG BUT NOT THAT STRONG

there are different grades of SikaFlex that do more than just hold windows in.

Quote:

PLUS THE SURACE WHAT YOU ARE JOINING MUST BE SPOT LESS NOT JUST CLEAN BUT SPOT LESS.

sandpaper and prepsol my friend works wonders. Smile

i left the original rubber in my mounts and just filled the rest with the SikaFlex.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh sorry i forgot about engine mount grade sikaflex silly me boy i would hate to have you guys work on my car. You should go and make engine mounts call them sika mounts much stronger than a new mount .
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmm.. there could be something in that. sika mounts, i like it Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 13:26]

-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And then maybe, if you were willing to spend a bit more, fooly sika mounts??
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the end of the day its only usually a strip of rubber that is inside these mounts. The auto ones aren't nearly as strong as the manual ones by looking at them - I beleive this is to soften the vibration when you are sitting with the car in drive at the lights. I think some model camry's actually had a revised mount that was softer to help reduce vibration. that was a replacement to the original.

Hopefully the silicon won't squish out. It feels pretty solid, but as you say the weight of the engine could be an issue. Maybe try the sikaflex if this doesn't work.

I know the caster rod bushes on some cars are silicon filled. Maybe I need something a layer of something to stop the silicon coming out.

It's going to be better than it was anyway.

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Fri, 22 April 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously this whole idea is dodgy as hell and must have kazillions of engineers turning in their graves BUT who cares right? Shit,if sikaflex is good enough to both cushion the blow of people jumping into my boat [wooden floor held down with the big S] and hold the tiles on the space shuttle then B'me sure we can stop spending hundreds on engine mounts,make a lil receptacle around the shagged mount with masking tape,fill receptacle with sikaflex and your done.Go hit the track,it really is that simple....... OR NOT!!!! Laughing
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Sat, 23 April 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are u F@#king joking????

u guys seriously use silicon and sikaflex on engine mounts to save a few bucks????

do u F@#king buy re-tread tyres too???

do u start ur car with a spoon aswell???

do it right the 1st time idiots!

blake Mad
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Sat, 23 April 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy tiger. Better than a broken mount as it is at the moment.

The engine and gearbox is supported at 4 seperate locations so its not as if this is risky like retreads can be. And if you've ever looked at an engine mount you'd see that if they fail they will only rock around inside.

I'm over it - forget I asked. I have heard some good results with sikaflex -just wondered if people had tried silicon for a softer mount.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Mon, 25 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lobby69 wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 18:12

blake Mad

hey idiot, i filled my already perfect rubber mounts with the SikaFlex to make a budget semi-solid mount. and it worked. Wink
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Mon, 25 April 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW SUCH ANGER OVER ENGINE MOUNTS CALM DOWN ITS NOT YOUR CAR THERE USING SIKAFLEX ON. Cool
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Mon, 25 April 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 14:24

lobby69 wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 18:12

blake Mad

hey idiot, i filled my already perfect rubber mounts with the SikaFlex to make a budget semi-solid mount. and it worked. Wink

same...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Mon, 25 April 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The silicon mount turned out pretty good. Installed it. But the problem (vibration) I think is with the gearbox or the gearbox hydraulic mount at the back. The gearbox is under warranty I think so it will be looked at tomorrow. Will see how long the silicon lasts but it looks ok, just a little dodgy Smile
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gearbox mount rebuilding - silicon or sikaflex Tue, 26 April 2005 12:18 Go to previous message
I was wondering can you partially fill a mount with sikaflex. One of the mounts that was A brand new one has collapsed after 11 months. Hopefully I will get a replacement but was hoping to strengthen it a little so this doesnt happen again.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Torque settings for 2tgue
Next Topic:T/C 20v SilverTop?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 16:38:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077109336853027 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.