Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 06:53 Go to next message
hey lads,

i dont really post on here all that much, more of a reader and searcher. anyways, i have finally saved up some cash for an engine coversion for my ke26 wagon $8000 to be exact and am now trying to drum up some ideas for conversions. I was going rotory but i got quoted 11g's for a 13bt so i decided to keep it as a daily and put something a bit less harsh on the petty cost as i drive 80k's roundtrip for work.

ive been reading up on 4age's and 4agze's and it seems that these are the two most popular, i was wondering if anyone tried a supra engine into a ke20 at all? anyway the basic question is with a workshop doing the work (not including brakes or diff) what kind of package do you think id be getting out of $8000?

cheers luke
  Send a private message to this user    
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd never get a supra engine registered in a ke20 on that budget. expect at least double that to have your car certified as an ICV

if you can get away with a plain 4age conversion (including engine, decent driveline with lsd, interior, brakes, etc) for under 8 grand then go for that. last drive-in-drive-out gze conversion i heard of, with all that except interior work, was $11500
Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i was thinking of just doing diff and brakes later. was the 11k for diff and brakes as well or just the gze?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if there exists someone who will engineer a 165hp gze with stock ke20 brakes, they shouldn't be in business

hell, my car just has a worked 4k and i thought they were crap enough to upgrade! you could get away with the stock diff for a little while, but the first time you launch it anything but very softly, or do a burnout, you'll be calling a towtruck

the conversion was a stock 4agze, converted to rwd, plus gearbox with new hd clutch, shortened and resplined r31 lsd diff, and s13 180sx front struts. it was in a 1200 ute. i can't see a ke26 being much cheaper

if you don't want to engineer your car or change too many things, consider spending your money on handling and a warm 4k, you could get away with a decent package for as little as $3000 if you do your research and do things like build the engine yourself

to date, my car has cost me about 5 grand, that includes buying it. i'm putting twin SUs on at the moment, so the webpage is not totally accurate
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why does it have to be 13bt?

just install a 13b bridgeport, or, if you can find it... 20b... if its legal Confused

Eldar.O.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Thu, 21 April 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
13b turbo = power and reasonable economy
13b bridge = triple your current fuel bill. at least.
Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh like SuperJamie said ported rotary's are highly inefficient with petrol so id be spending all the money i earn from work on petrol to go to work.

the rolla already has a 5k in it but i havent seen alot of power put out from these thats why i wanted the 4agze. anyone one here modded a 5k with a decent power output?
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SFGTE would be a great mod for a corolla
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
angela in SA has a 5k that makes like 160rwkw
hks 25/40 turbo, avcr, custom inlet plenum, etc
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Jamie, again. My KE26 has a tiny fat-rimmed steering wheel*, warm 3k, a 5speed, and some exhaust and suspension work (still in progress, and hugely rewarding!), and it's a hell of a lot of fun! To date I've spent around $1500-2000 on it, including a heap of bits I haven't fitted yet (F&R swaybars, 13x6 jellybean mags, 4K-E dizzy)

My next mods are new shocks, and twincarbs. I have nearly-ready-to-fit twin setups of both SU HS4 and the stock carbs, not sure which I'll go for at this stage. SUs could be nice, but I'm not sure I can be arsed stuffing around for weeks with the needles to find the "perfect tune"

* this made a huge difference to driving enjoyment, much more than I thought it would. It feels a lot more "darty" than the stock item, and is plenty more comfortable too

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 07:43]

JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could always go an 18RG with some work, a race preped 2TG, or even twin spark 3T-GTE. A 2ZZ-GE would even give a huge kick in the guts.

$8000 is a fair amount of cash to drop in an old Rolla.
Here's an article of what looks like a KE25 (correct me if I'm wrong) with a 3T-GTE conversion. http://www.netwiz.net/~tcar/c74sr5.html

jordan
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indigoid wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 17:40

not sure which I'll go for at this stage

/me is halfway thru installing twin HS4 SUs as we speak Smile mine spent several hours on the dyno, being tuned by carbtech in brisbane, to suit rob's rally car, so the tune should be perfect, if not a little rich, for my car. apparently hot cooper S needles are good for a mild K motor
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFAllen, Tom's car is about the worst example of a "low budget corolla" that you could find, though it is a lovely piece of work Sad It's a TE27, by the way, not a KE25.

A lot of people seem to consider T motors are too heavy to stuff in the front end of early Corollas. This doesn't mean that they are right, of course, but T motors are rather heavy, the 3T-GTE especially so. (I have heard figures in the 180kg region - WAY more than a K motor!) The extra weight could (and probably should) be balanced by heavier front springs, but that could introduce another whole set of problems.

I guess one must look at the bigger picture, which to his credit the original poster was doing. A carefully spent 8k should get you an extremely well sorted K-powered Corolla that could be a lot of fun to punt around, whereas you might be rather less satisfied if more of that 8k had to be spent on just the engine and its ancillaries. I bet you could fit a mild blowthru turbo setup for that kind of money, and still have plenty left for well sorted suspension, tyres, etc.
Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Fri, 22 April 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys thanks again for your replies its helping me alot, do you have any more info on the 5k making 160+ rwkw at all or pics?

the main reason for a 4age or 4agze was so there is room for modifications later on down the track, and although the 5k looks like it can make some decent power im sure alot more than 8k was spent on that.

so heres what im thinking (maybe Smile ) 4age it for now with new diff and brakes etc, for my 8000. then later on down the track turbo it and do more mods to it later. is that the best option or just spend a bit mroe now to 4agze it?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Sat, 23 April 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T motor too heavy, pfft! there's a ke20 at my local hillclimbs with a 327 chev in it, and it turns just fine. i've always said if it's sprung weight, you can control it. just depends how much time and money you want to spend Wink

angela's 5k ke10 was in zoom a few issues ago, or you can usually find her ("jet ke10" i think?) on club-k.co.nz. trust me, you won't get power like that under 8 grand unless you can do the whole thing (including tuning the microtech) yourself. then you'd have no money to spend on suspension

think about what you want to do, do the suspension and brakes and wheels and tyres first, then see how much you left over to do an engine. a worked 4k is pretty fun, it just won't beat many things on the street
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Sat, 23 April 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sell the rolla add that money to your 8000 and buy somthing fast already done. lots easier
or stroke and turbo what you got Shocked
or toyota supercharged v8 Shocked
flyinwall
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Sat, 23 April 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or drop in a 1GGTTE and have a blast
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Sun, 24 April 2005 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sell ke26 for $1000

$1000 + $8000 = $9000

work: earn $4000

$13000.... will get you a very clean, very quick, very DANGEROUS 4AGTE Sprinter.

nuff said.

Eldar.O.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Mon, 25 April 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have got to be kidding! anyone who pays 13 grand for a 1985 toyota corolla is an idiot. a 4 thousand dollar car with a rollcage and coilovers and motor is not worth over 3 times that price
Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Mon, 25 April 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
right lads i think we've gone a bit off track here. i dont want a sprinter i dont want any other car, i have my ke26 wagon and thats it and im not selling it. i think ill just to the 4age then turbo it later on down the track.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Mon, 25 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously, don't underestimate the fun you can have with a K motor Smile

Stewie took me for a drive in his car this afternoon, it goes like stink and didn't cost the earth. it has injected and warmed up 4K and some mild suspension mods. sounds awesome too!
Toycrash
Regular

June 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Mon, 25 April 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 03:06

$13000.... will get you a very clean, very quick, very DANGEROUS 4AGTE Sprinter.

Who needs sprinters if you got a KE26 Wink
Old-school rock's and AE86 ain't old-school.. yet..

My KE26 is under some modification.. dumped old 3K, K40 and stock rear end.
Some T stuff, with G parts and auto tranny will be going in.
Must add a bit of E and Z, then a little r&p and bigger struts and calipers. Cool
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on where you are, I could have done a 430rwhp 1GGTE with everything drive away for that, I have all the bits left from 2 upgrades of my KE70 and access to about 15 1G's and associated parts, I could even do a brake upgrade and fuel system with mod plate for the lot. Don't suppose you are in brissy or want to bring your car up here?? Hell, you can even not pay for it till its finished for your own security and happiness, it would only take a week or so and I have everything.

Give me a buzz on 0410 730 598 if your interested.

Cheers....................6BOOST
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long is a 1G? how wide would it be with all manifolds and such?

ke26 has a rather smaller engine bay than ke70.
680OST
Regular

August 2004
double post Tue, 26 April 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure they are the same except the rad support, I have put one in a KE30, is that the same??

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 07:44]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 08:23

you have got to be kidding! anyone who pays 13 grand for a 1985 toyota corolla is an idiot. a 4 thousand dollar car with a rollcage and coilovers and motor is not worth over 3 times that price

your not serious are you?

you realise that some of the sprinters on toymods put out well above 250 rwhp?

and do you have any idea how insane this is in a car that has the ability to weigh 750-800 kilos?

i think you need to step back and revaluate what youve just said.

considering in order to get this kind of power you need to completely build the engine from the ground up, forged pistons, blueprinted etc. etc.

if a sub 11 second car is not worth 13k what is?

you realise that all of the fastest cars lately have been the rx3's and the old corollas, since they are light and hold engines that produce insane amounts of wattage!

Eldar.O.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mi[d]dO,

Your biggest problem here is labour ! Getting a workshop to do the work will cost you BIG $$$ meaning you want to allow about 2/3rds of your budget as support parts and Labour charge. That doesn't leave allot of $$$$. By support parts I mean all the stuff that adds up rather quickly, EFI fuel line, Hose clamps, weatherproof connectors, fuel pumps, surge tanks, electrical consumables, exhaust mods and improved engine cooling etc etc.

Allot of people don't allow for these items or the time to fit them and allot of workshops wont tell you about them until your project is underway Sad Keep in mind a Quality performance workshop isn't your local BP (No offence to your local BP) so expect a labour rate of $90-$120 per hour !

For the KE26 you want to maintainthe weight balance, Sure a Tuff 2TG or a 3T-GTE would be an awesome package, old school power in an old school ride but a 4AGE or 4AGTE would give you a lighter, smaller option. The T series twin cams are NOT 180kg like mentioned above but an EFI 2TGEU is 145kg so still heavier than the later model 4AGE.

If I were you I'd be taking the much less fun but more sensable approach. Your KE26 Diff, brakes and suspension are not gong to enjoy a massive power increase. The wisest move really is to upgrade the Diff, brakes, suspension and wheel and tyre package BEFORE you do the engine swap. $8K will cover it if you dont get carried away. Mind you my wheels and diff alone was more than $8k so its horses for courses.

muv12a
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, $8000 doesnt get you far at all unfortunately if you are thinking of an engine conversion ( even if you did a lot of work yourself, 13BT,1G,4AGE-doesnt matter, you are always going to have to pay others for parts and/or services)
Best bet, if thats all you want to spend and want fuel economy with a bit of zip- work a 4K/5K.
Good luck in what you decide.
muv
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Tue, 26 April 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1g fits in ke20, you'd probably have to move the radiator to underneath or in front of the radiator support though. and you'll never get a W box in the ke20 tunnel without mods

i'd expect something like that from you eldaro. sprinters are overrated.
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Wed, 27 April 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on what someone has sitting around as to costs though. I have vertually every single component to build a corrolla with a 1G left over from building my own KE70 twice, from fuel system to brakes to driveline and clutch, even half the exhaust, computer, injectors, everything. I was going to buy a shell just to drop it into and sell, but then I actually have to buy something Very Happy 430rwhp KE20 would have to run easy 10's on slicks, what do they weigh?? 900-950KG? Only thing I don't have is a diff, but I'm sure you can baby it for a few weeks while you save up for the diff.

6BOOST

[Updated on: Wed, 27 April 2005 01:07]

frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Wed, 18 May 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate of mine got a quote from racecraft, a performance shop in Melbourne, to put a standard twin turbo 1GGTE and W55(?) gearbox, into his TA22, and they quoted that the drive away package would be 5-6 grand! i think thats a great deal! it included fuel system and computer too, not sure what it was, EMS i think...but his car had a 3TGTEU and W55 already, don't know if that would make any difference.
unless my mate is spinnin bull twang.
heres racecrafts web page, give them a call, and check out the MORBST TA22! it does a 10.8 with a 1G!
i read somewhere that they intend it to be a circuit car, but was too nose heavy and handles like a bucked of crap, don't know though, something to think about!

http://racecraft.com.au/
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: KE26 $8000 gimme some ideas Wed, 18 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous message
don't forget brakes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S head conversion of bucket and shims
Next Topic:KYB inserts into st185