Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86guy
Newcomer

April 2005
icon5.gif  SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 01:29 Go to next message
hey guys n girls,

im new to these forums and i wasnt sure whether to put this thread in technical or track, sorry mods!

I have recently acquired a AE86 aka Sprinter AUS SPEC 4AC.
My previous car was a 150rwkw 180sx which went alrite for a CA18det but anyway when i had that car i got into drifting.
CA18det arent really the greatest engines for serious comp so i sold the 80 and bought an AUS SPEC Sprinter for $3000.
Now more to the point i really want to get to a serious level of drifting, maybe the next B.Yates or S.Michealmore?, and i want to do it in the 86'.

I wrote down a list but it needs some modifying and thats why im writing.I want a competitive car but i want it done cheaply/budget:

STAGE ONE, get all handling aspects first
-lsd [what kind??? thinking a kaaz or a JAPSPEC 86 but i heard they are getting pretty old]
-stripped interior,nardi wheel [just front seats and dash left]
-suspension [but i dont have a clue. I wont it done cheap but still good quality][or how about just springs n swaybar?]
-upgrade front brakes [not sure because of power, look stage two]

STAGE TWO, the go!
-4agze [i was also thinking black top / silver top 4age, but the 4agze has more potentional without going over the top].
- 2nd hand supra cooler
- oil cooler
-exhuast
-clutch
-pulley
* im not sure go front cut or juz engine because the front cut would have brakes,loom/ecu,gearbox,engine [the lot] but i also heard that the 4agze bolts upto the 4AC gearbox! HELP

im not going BODYKIT until i got the funds to!
rims - defianlty get them but not sure what kind [clearance of brakes]

What you guys think?
Help me decide what parts etc please, the more i think the more cofused i get!
Thanks heaps callum

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 01:33]

Send a private message to this user    
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u shold've kept your 180

if u want a competive hachi your goin to have to spend at least $20K on it these days (unless you can do all the work yourself)especially if its in stock form.

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should be in tech talk..
but nevermind. firstly, you shouldv kept the 180, but whats done is done. be prepared for a lot of work and headaches.

basically depending how much money you have, you could go for either 4age, 4agze or as id reccommend 4agte..

stock gearbox, trd/cusco/kaaz lsd doesnt matter (id go cusco)
upgrade clutch, exhaust (note; youd need a t18 rear end or jap-spec diskbrake rear end for an lsd)

suspension is just all about choice, something easily aquirable... koni yellows (adjustable), 8kg front/ 6kg rear springs

thats it basically, but theres a lot of detail to go into use the search function.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a good FAQ thread on Sprinter suspension etc.. Might give you some ides.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=35782&rid=92&S=9cedaddd10e823383283f778b 39fa99c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_316747

(oh, and I'll move this to the Tech section).

Agreed with bathurst-91 though - There's SOOOO much information on these forums covering what you're asking.. You really need to read up a bit more.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 13:41]

4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nightdevil wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 18:56

u shold've kept your 180

if u want a competive hachi your goin to have to spend at least $20K on it these days (unless you can do all the work yourself)especially if its in stock form.

20K Shocked

It shouldnt cost no where near that much, even to pay to get alot of the work done. Here is a quick breakdown of cost for a decent hachi drift car:

Stock Junk - 3000 (in your case)
Suspension - 2000
LSD - 1500
Engine conversion - 3000
Other stuff - 1500

Roughly around 11k.

In saying this, the main thing that you cant buy is skill. Many people think that money is a substitute for skill.

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ageeza wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 23:04

u shold've kept your 180

20K Shocked

It shouldnt cost no where near that much, even to pay to get alot of the work done. Here is a quick breakdown of cost for a decent hachi drift car:

Suspension - 2000
LSD - 1500
Engine conversion - 3000
Other stuff - 1500

Roughly around 11k.

In saying this, the main thing that you cant buy is skill. Many people think that money is a substitute for skill.

Laughing

Eldar.O.
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Fri, 22 April 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 04:06

4ageeza wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 23:04

u shold've kept your 180

20K Shocked

Suspension - 2000
LSD - 1500
Engine conversion - 3000
Other stuff - 1500

Roughly around 11k.

Laughing

Id say it would cost more than 11k easy. Also the word that should be concentrated on is DRIFTING you break things at the start and so and so..
Like everyone said i would have sticked with a 180sx more parts at a cheaper price which is easier to access. Also has a longer wheel base making is easier to start drifting.
Any how good luck with it all

Eldar.O.
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86guy wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 10:59

My previous car was a 150rwkw 180sx which went alrite for a CA18det but anyway when i had that car i got into drifting.
CA18det arent really the greatest engines for serious comp so i sold the 80 and bought an AUS SPEC Sprinter for $3000.
Now more to the point i really want to get to a serious level of drifting, maybe the next B.Yates or S.Michealmore?, and i want to do it in the 86'.

First of all, those first two sentences are the most contradictory and funniest things I've read in my life.

Second, with a 4AGZE you can be the next Crab-86!!
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skein wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 11:11

ae86guy wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 10:59

First of all, those first two sentences are the most contradictory and funniest things I've read in my life.

Second, with a 4AGZE you can be the next Crab-86!!

w3rd

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should've kept your 180 dude.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, there is a reason everyone drifts 180s/Silvias. They are relatively cheap and easy.

However, now you have your Sprinter your going to have to work with that. I agree with almost everything written above. Do your suspension (bushes, swaybars, springs and shocks) and see how it feels and handles. Then brakes and wheels/tyres (15" Elantra steelies are good for the rear, wrong offset, but cheap and plentiful). Then do the engine. A good seat helps a lot too.

If you're on the cheap just weld your diff to start with. And the stock sprinter box will cope, you may lose your synchros but just learn to double declutch.

And there is LOTS of info on each of these topics around the place here.

Hen

Oh yeah, if you're serious about drifting, just get to every event you can and practice lots.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ageeza wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 01:04

u shold've kept your 180

20K Shocked

Suspension - 2000
LSD - 1500
Engine conversion - 3000
Other stuff - 1500

Roughly around 11k.

3 grand for an engine conversion my ass. Motor these days cost $750 at least. Plus i wouldnt risk putting a jap motor in with out changing gaskets, seals etc Labour costs these days arent cheap and u have to allow teething problems too.
2 grand for a competitve suspension set up?? yeah right Rolling Eyes
what about aftermarket computer??
what about exhaust system?
what about fabrication??
wiring???
Tuning??
When u say 1500 for other stuff which shold be competitve you looking at stuff like sports seat =$400, short shift= $380, the guy wants a nardi wheel include that with a boss kit and spacer thats almost = 600, gauges = $300 = wheels = at least 1500 for good wheels and tyres, thats almost 3 grand already.
If u want competitve gear, no time for tight asses here!

Its just reality on how much it costs these days. Unless u source the parts and get great bargains and do the stuff all your self u can prob get sumthing decent for 11K.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 09:38]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a price comparison, if you look at Sparky (my Sprinter), it cost me $10200 approx sofar, not including maybe $300 of gear i already had. Including shipping from Canb>Adel.
Seriously, to make a competitive car isnt that costly if you can do everything yourself.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for all the people that said "you should have kept your 180" stfu, the less nissans in drift the better...someone on these forums used this term the other day, "idiot proof" when describing how easy it is to drift an S13 and thats becuase they are, the thing is, you take a very good 86 driver, supra driver, soarer driver basically anything other than a Sivlia/180 and they can drift the fuck out of a nissan when they are behind the wheel, do the reverse and give the S13 driver the the keys to your toyota and the tables really do turn...(obviously this is not always true)

dude, drift the fuck out of your 86 and have a blast doing it Very Happy
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the less nissans in drift the better? fuk that! Every one would own 86's which would fukkin turn these cars into commowhores!! Its bad enuff as it is with too many tite ass boy racers owning them. In my point of view he shold've kept the 180 cuz he obviously had the power and there wouldnt be that much to finish his 180 off for it to become a competitve s13.
86LIFE
Regular

September 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 19:20

LMFAO so true.

although i havent tried drifting my 86 yet, i can say that it would be a shit load different to a 180 so id suggest just going out and practicing before you go crazy on it.

jus weld the diff, get harder springs/shocks and learn how it reacts when sliding, then you can build on that.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
however that being said, 86's are becoming awfully common on the track nowadays Confused
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey what's wrong with common? common is good!

and for tite ass boy racers? I'm one of them, so.. I guess, I should say, a big get a life! Smile

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sat, 23 April 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 19:50

for all the people that said "you should have kept your 180" stfu, the less nissans in drift the better...someone on these forums used this term the other day, "idiot proof" when describing how easy it is to drift an S13 and thats becuase they are, the thing is, you take a very good 86 driver, supra driver, soarer driver basically anything other than a Sivlia/180 and they can drift the fuck out of a nissan when they are behind the wheel, do the reverse and give the S13 driver the the keys to your toyota and the tables really do turn...(obviously this is not always true)

Laughing

refers to drift bible american commentary of tsuchiya:

"you've heard people say they can drift in a skyline... or a supra... but they cant always go sideways in a hachi roku"

Smile
bbq_chickenwing
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sun, 24 April 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome to the club.

I suggest doing alot of research on toymods, club4ag and google as you need to familiarise yourself with Toyota 86 language. With an ADM 86, you are pretty much touching/upgrading every area of the car from;

- Chassis reinforcement (seam welding, strut towers, roll cage)
- Fuel System (Fuel Hard lines, Tank with baffles or Surge)
- Engine (Wiring to suit EFI fuel delivery to connect fuel relay, tacho, fuel pump, clutch, exhaust), since 4AGZE came in 86 then it make it an easier fit if you get everything.
- Suspension (at least T-series rear disc-disc axle + drive shaft, front ventilated discs, coilover front strut conversion, brake bias proportional valve to suit brake changes, higher final gear ratio, bushings, tie-rods, sway bars, quicksteer...endless)

You have a large range of aftermarket parts for almost every part. There are more parts you upgrade in an AE86 than other cars imo which makes it such a toy/customisable car)

I would start researching and learning more before you go out and buying stuff or commit to anything.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sun, 24 April 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i speak for everyone when i say you just got yourself into a shit hole.

Quote:

I want a competitive car but i want it done cheaply/budget:

your fucked! forget about buying everything new. but your gonna learn a crap load.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sun, 24 April 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbq_chickenwing wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 00:37

With an ADM 86, you are pretty much touching/upgrading

WRONG. The chassis of an Australian 86 is EXACTLY the same as the Jap equivalents. Why would he be upgrading everything with an ADM as you say?

bbq_chickenwing wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 00:37

- Engine (Wiring to suit EFI fuel delivery to connect fuel relay, tacho, fuel pump, clutch, exhaust), since 4AGZE came in 86 then it make it an easier fit if you get everything.

WRONG. the 4AGZE NEVER came in the AE86, it only came in transaxle equipped FWD/RWD Corollas and MR2s. Rolling Eyes

At least get the facts right before you spread misinformation all over the forums.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Mon, 25 April 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who cares what car he drifts with

drifting for fun is cheap

drifting for winning is expensive

by the time this guy gets good at it

it will be expensive

look at what happened to hq racing

started cheap then it became expensive

drifting is becomin a popular and major sport

soon people with big dollar budgets will be driving in

this sport and anyone with little money is goin to miss out

the main thing u need is a super tough driveline

you can have a car and thrash the shit out of it on the road and it wont cause as much stress to it as drifting

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Mon, 25 April 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 09:35

who cares what car he drifts with

drifting for fun is cheap

drifting for winning is expensive

by the time this guy gets good at it

it will be expensive

look at what happened to hq racing

started cheap then it became expensive

drifting is becomin a popular and major sport

soon people with big dollar budgets will be driving in

this sport and anyone with little money is goin to miss out

the main thing u need is a super tough driveline

you can have a car and thrash the shit out of it on the road and it wont cause as much stress to it as drifting

couldnt have said it better my self Smile
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Mon, 25 April 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out "drift battle" magazine issue 03. it has a big feature about the AE86 and contains lot of information. also tells you how to build a budget AE86 drifter.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: SETUP FOR 86' Sun, 08 May 2005 09:39 Go to previous message
and buy drift bible dvd ... love that dvd

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 09:45]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Injector size for 7MGTE
Next Topic:Best place to get 3SGTE Power FC tuned???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:37:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073380470275879 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.