Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cooter
Regular

October 2004
going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 02:47 Go to next message
hey guys ive decided to go back to carbs for now on my 2tgeu because of tunability and i cant afford bigger injectors new ecu etc.
so untill i can im just gonna run the carbs. so am i able to just disconnect all the efi stuff from the wiring loom an leave the loom just siting in the engine bay. i know itll look ratty but its just for now.
also ive got intank efi fuel pump (standard TE71 pump)will that be ok to supply the carbs? cause i dnt wanna have to change fuel pump. also are the efi lines up to the task? anything else you know of that ill need too? cheers for any help
craig

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 02:50]

Send a private message to this user    
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel lines will be fine, but your going to want a low pressure fuel pump, rather than swopping i think you can get some kind of fuel pressure regulator ?? :S
ide be looking into putting on of them in, then it will all be plug and play
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a fuel pump on the carbs at the moment. dunno anything about it. just a repco electric ful pump thats on the carbies fuel line
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn't try to use a reg to bring EFI pressure down to carby pressure.. carby pumps tend to be lower flow..

use the crappy repco pump.. it will be fine. the EFI pump will not really be suitable.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not get a TE7x carby fuel tank pickup and run external carby fuel pump?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Going back to carbs! That's music to my ears. Get them properly tuned and you'll wonder why you ever had EFI in the first place.

seeyuzz
river
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cos you can tune EFI with a laptop in real time Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And EFI only needs to be tuned once, it doesn't magically go walkabout over time.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my cars only been tuned once and still running like a dream Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How long has it been?
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a year
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all carbs are notoriously bad for going out of tune, guarantee you aren't making the same exact power as you first did, let alone in a couple of years.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CARBIES GET THE BARBIES
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: going back to carbs Sat, 23 April 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 19:46

CARBIES GET THE BARBIES

sound sliek you have been drinking more than i have!! noice work Wink
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Sun, 24 April 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do i just find which wires + and - on the repco pump and connect that to what? a relay setup or just a switch with posotive and neative battery? the efi pump wont run in its current existing anyway because of the ecu not being connected to the engine. then do i have to get pickup and return into the tank again? if this is the case id rather not do it cause of going back to efi when i have dollars. dont want extra pipes in my efi tank. anyone know if any problems are gonna arrise from just leaving the efi sections of the loom hanging in the engine bay??
cheers for your help so far
craig
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Tue, 26 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: going back to carbs Tue, 26 April 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I'd suggest wiring the electric pump to your current efi fuel pump relay to run off oil pressure(if it curremtly runs of a computer signal or afm signal), or to some engine running signal. Or if you want to leave all that intact then get the same sort of relay (circuit opening relay) from a wrecker to run it. This will be much safer than having a standard relay or a switch.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thats all well and good but i aint the best with electrics. haha. H:\Personal\130401175\pump relay.bmp
is that how i could hook it up?
the pump would be running at a constant pressure then. it that ok?
or does the engine need rising fuel pressure? i have a 3tc siting in the shed with mechanical fuel pump.
my engine is a 88261 2tgeu so would that be able to run the mechanical pump? if so would that pump be sufficient for my stock motor with 40mm delortos
its got the hole for it but just wondering if the lobe on the dummy cam is there?
also if i dont have the efi pump connected electrically but leave it in the fuel line can i just suck through it with whatever other pump i use?

also noone has told me if i can just leave the efi parts of the harness in the engine bay and leave the computer where it is cause i dont want to remove it all.

cheers for your help guys
craig
goonman86
Regular

September 2004
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the gue there is no lobe to run the fuel pump form the dummy cam. only the old 2tg had them like the 220 and the 222
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cooter wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 10:47

hey guys ive decided to go back to carbs for now on my 2tgeu because of tunability and i cant afford bigger injectors new ecu etc.

Can you elaborate on this?
What ecu? what mods?

Coz it sure as fuck doesn't make any logical sense.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ive been told the standard injection on the 88262 2tgeu cannot handle much modifications. basics etc like extractors, pod, CAI are supposed to be much on the limits of modification the standard injection setup can handle. i wanna get cams and porting done real soon but cant because the ecu wont handle it and i cant afford new injectors and new ecu. id really like to keep injection but atm i just cant
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thats true.
The standard ecu will probably handle it, but don't expect much power from it.

However, the drivability, and power delivery of carbys vs efi is like chalk and cheese.
You just can't compare it.

I say leave it standard for the moment, and start buying shit.
Over the next few months, buy the cams, some injectors (you should be able to get 4 injectors for cheap as chips, you'll only need 300cc or so, look into 7mge one), and a microtech/wolf3d ecu.

It will be much worthwhile in the end.

Converting from EFI to carby is just a headfuck.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know efi is alot better and id like to have it but i cant afford it and im sick of the current lack of power. im going to do this and then save for the efi bits. thats why i want to know if i can leave all the ecu and loom etc in the engine bay while running carbs? will it do anything to the ecu still having power to it but not all the sensors, injectors etc connected up?

carbs are more easily and less expensively tuned aswell so it fits my needs for now. later the efi will return.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unplug the ECU completely, and every sensor if you do it (leaving oil and temp dash sensors obviously)

You may have to use a 2T or 2T-G distributor if the EFI one is any different.
Other than that, the fuel side of things is all you have to worry about.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: going back to carbs Wed, 27 April 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 00:02

You may have to use a 2T or 2T-G distributor if the EFI one is any different.

Keep ur dizzy/elec ignition its not controled by the ECU so it will be fine

cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Thu, 28 April 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cheers thats the ecu stuff outta the way. now what about being able to suck through the old disconnected efi pump with another pump so i dont have to run seperate lines. can it be done?

is it alright for the carby pump to just run from the one voltage? such as what would come from a switch sort of setup? (keeping in mind this is only a tempory setup)

cheers for all your help guys much appreciated
craig

The Dominator
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: going back to carbs Thu, 28 April 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed my 2TGEU to 40mm dellortos, all I needed to do was unplug all the electrics going to the computer and bolt on the carbs, remember these engines were originaly designed for carbs so all the efi stuff is just added. The carbs should be running at about 3psi which is a lot lower than the EFI pump which would probly be at around 30-40psi. A regulator may be putting too much pressure on the efi pump and fuel lines so you might have to try bypass the efi pump and run a low pressure electric pump. I didnt have a efi pump as the car i was putting it in was originaly carbed. I just connected my electric pump to the 12v output from the on switch on the ignition so it turns on with the key. Once you hear the music the carbs put out, you won't want to go back.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: going back to carbs Thu, 28 April 2005 14:42 Go to previous message
so i need to run new fuel lines (pickup and return). Can i just put the repco pump on a switch to turn it on? or is in the ignition barrel the way to go?

How do i go about wiring up the circuit if the switch way is alright?

relay with connections to battery and pump?

cheers for your posts its all helping
craig
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ae101 4agze into ae92 conversion - wiring issues
Next Topic:Can Carbon Fibre bonnets get engineered??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:19:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075628757476807 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.