Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:44 Go to next message
Does anyone know of a problem putting a W58 in an RA28 with a 18RGU motor. The problem i'm having is that as soon as the box was put in i'm getting crunching noises comming from either the box or the motor. It's not something in the box, it sounds like something on the outside is rapidly hitting metal. It only happens when cornering really hard or when u drop the clutch in 1st 2nd or third.

So i think its just when the motor and box torques in the mounts and the bellhousing or something hits something. I've had the car up on a hoist twice now, and we (me and a 2 mechanics) can't physically see where its hitting. And can't think of any way of testing, apart from strapping myself under car and going for a thrash Evil or Very Mad

Has anyone had this problem before with this conversion? Or am i just unlucky?

Thanks
Ben

PS- i know its a long shot, but i just thought i'd ask, just incase someone knows of a common problem this could be.
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not the exhaust hitting is it?
my friends had to trace a similar noise and thats what it ended up being.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, thats what my thoughts are. The extractors are only 1.5 inchs away from the bellhousing, so it could most possibly be that. Can i ask how he fixed the problem? Dont really want to get new extractors, hehe. Would that exhaust heat wrap do the job???

Thanks
Ben
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first off they used a tar type insulation to dampen the noise and verify that it was the problem, them they pull the extractors off and had them profensionally altered to give my clearance
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought try look for any signs of knocking on the extractors you may see a mark from where they have been hiting..
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, ok.

Thanks for that.

Thanks
Ben

EDIT: Yeah looked for any marks/chips or anything, and there's nothing.
My extractors are pretty expensive, and i dont really want to crack them, so i dont think i'll be launching or cornering hard much more until i get it fixed. Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 December 2002 02:02]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
his uncle did it.
so no idea.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's more likely to be the tailshaft rubbing against the exhaust. I had this exact problem in my RA23 a while back. I just took it to an exhaust shop and had them move it further away from the tailshaft.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58/18RGU Gearbox or motor crunching noise.... Sun, 15 December 2002 10:25 Go to previous message
nah, at 1st I thought that, but my exhaust has been fitted about 6inch's away from the tailshaft (just incase) and i dont think it could move that far. I had a look, and its either my extracors hitting the bellhousing, or the extractors hitting a steering type mount on the car. I think i'll just take it easy till the new manifold and turbo's on Smile Thanks for the help peoples! appreciate it!

Thanks
Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RGU cams
Next Topic:18RG clutch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 03:46:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045468807220459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.