Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 17 April 2005 22:18 Go to next message
I currently have the JDM 16v4AGE in my car and I think that it is on its last legs and I am either thinking about rebuilding the 4AGE or putting the 20V in??? Confused

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 17 April 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebuild what you have, for the cost of a conversion you could rebuild what you have, better than fitting another hand engine.
do some mods at the same time.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Mon, 18 April 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed, rebuild it with a few mods (cams for example) then make sure you run it in properly

if you are on a budget just get a low Ks bigport long motor (if you can find one) and swap it over.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Tue, 19 April 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
third that one rebuild, I have done 20v and if i could do it again i would make my old 4age a carb option (only for the exhaust note)..... but a rebuild will do you alot better as then you know what u r getting and doing
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Tue, 19 April 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebuild - you will not regret it (if done right!)
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Tue, 19 April 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebuild for sure, should cost anywhere between $800-$1500 depending on parts and how much you do yourself. You should think about uprgrading your computer too, if you plan on fitting different cams etc..
buttocks
Regular

October 2003
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Wed, 20 April 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebuild the 4age, at least you know what your getting. With the 20V conversion you stil have a unknown which is the Engine, how many Kms etc of the secondhand 20V you bought, not really worth the risk for the small performance gain, use the extra dosh for performance parts for the 4age..
converted1
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Wed, 20 April 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You dont actually need a long time to run a motor in properly. If you are running a good oil in it, eg: Redline, Motul, Repsol. All you should need is about 30 mins @ idle for the cams to bed in. Then go nuts.

I have never had a prob this way.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Wed, 20 April 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idling is the worst thing you can do to a fresh engine from the start.... i suggest you do some more research before spouting such claims.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Wed, 20 April 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 22:52

Idling is the worst thing you can do to a fresh engine from the start.... i suggest you do some more research before spouting such claims.

this has been covered before...

simon speaks the truth,

seek, and you shall find Wink

rebuilt 4AGES rock my world!

Eldar.O.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Thu, 21 April 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a worked 4age will run the pants around a 20v
converted1
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Thu, 21 April 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 00:52

Thats all well and good. But of the 2 engines that have been built in my own garage, we started them, let them idle for about 30 mins then happily drove to my tuner to get them done.

Never had a prob.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Thu, 21 April 2005 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leighp wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 13:23

third that one rebuild, I have done 20v and if i could do it again i would make my old 4age a carb option (only for the exhaust note)..... but a rebuild will do you alot better as then you know what u r getting and doing

n00b question: isn't the pro (exhaust note) outweighed by the cons (having a more efficient engine)?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Thu, 21 April 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EFI and throttles... that way you get the sound AND the control Very Happy

And if you go the 20valve, make sure you get the JDM on, don't want to end up with one of those crappy Aus-Spec ones! Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 15:31]

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while this question is raised.....if one was to get a 20V blacktop and one was sure it was in good condition and then put cams and haltech on it would that not be stronger then a 16V and let u rev to 9500? Rolling Eyes im only asking as im in the same position as I_D....

thanx

Adam
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the reason i said rebuild the 16v above was due to the fact itll be the easiest option, and similar in cost, at the end youll ahve a good enigne you KNOW is good...
from his post it sounded like he was after the best way to get his car going reliably.

sounds like your after more performance, in which case the b/t with cams and haltech would suit you, cost more though!

all comes down to what you are after, but id try and stretch to a rebuild of the b/t. oh and dont try 9500 on b/t rods.....

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

sounds like your after more performance, in which case the b/t with cams and haltech would suit you, cost more though!

all comes down to what you are after, but id try and stretch to a rebuild of the b/t.

My thought exactly, even a s/top which is in need of a rebuild, which the last few I've only paid $400-500. But I have seen a few worked N/A 16V that still would eat a worked N/A 20V!
Quote:

oh and dont try 9500 on b/t rods.....

Yeah, they do get interesting up this end, S/tops and plain old 16V still are a better item.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 00:52

Yes and no. As with all good questions.

Yes, idling is bad for the bores to ring sealing, you ideally want either ramp rising revs or hard thrashing depending on who you believe.
However, revs/thrashing is bad for the cams getting worn in, they need either idle or 2000rpm constant for abotu 20mins to bed in.

The ideal is to bed the cams in on another engine, and then bed in the rest of the engine on the cams...

EDIT: And yes, a 16v at the pointy end of the horsepower field will crap on a 20v with the same specs. Mainly due to the flow, and the squish areas being better on the 16v.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 12:40]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yeah, they do get interesting up this end, S/tops and plain old 16V still are a better item.

id even go so far as to say just the S/tops Wink

if you compare all the rods side by side then look at the integrity of each design youll see why very quickly

same applys with the cranks

damn i still have to find those photos as well!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 01:22

Leighp wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 13:23

n00b question: isn't the pro (exhaust note) outweighed by the cons (having a more efficient engine)?

maybe i should convert back to carbs for a better exhaust note?? wtf?

meh, if he's going to leave the motor dead stock, why not go the 20V?
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

same applys with the cranks

um, what do you mean?
theres only 2 types of crank used in all 4age variants.... the 40mm rod journal (bluetops, ae82 and early aw11) and all the others, as in late aw11, ae92, ae101 and ae111.

Quote:

if he's going to leave the motor dead stock, why not go the 20V?

well if he can have a new (rebuilt) 16v or 2nd hand 20v, i know which id prefer to have!

all these ppl saying the 16v is better for ultimate develpoment than the 20v, i disagree.... you have to do things differently with the 20v, there is no reason why the 20v cant be as or more powerful than a 16v, depends on the application, if exceding 10k for example, the 20v would be my choice... it all comes down to the application, certainly for n/a the black head would be better than the silver.... the most powerful 4agtes here for example, are all 20vs....
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Fri, 22 April 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Revhead wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 08:57

the most powerful 4agtes here for example, are all 20vs....

I take it you mean in NZ?
The MOST POWERFUL? More power doesn't necessarily mean the one with the highest number on the dyno, nor does it mean the one that can cover teh 1/4mi the fastest..rather the one with more power overall (ie the most area under the curve).

For the most effective street engine you would be better off with the small port.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah theres all sorts of different interpretations isnt there.....

so kinda hard to say which would be the best....

like streetable.... all depends what your after, and what you call streetable... there is no reason why a 300hp 20v 4agte cant be streetable, but i bet theres some that arnt...

i say you can use either... look at the budget, the purpose and the how you intent to do it.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

um, what do you mean?
theres only 2 types of crank used in all 4age variants.... the 40mm rod journal (bluetops, ae82 and early aw11) and all the others, as in late aw11, ae92, ae101 and ae111.

well yes there are only two types of bearing sizes on the cranks, but the way the cranks are designed and constructed holds more than those differences, simply looking at the way the balance ends are shaped will show you that.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, theres not, there is only two types... bluetop and all the others.

been althrough the EPC on these, part numbers are all the same.
if toyota change even the TINIEST thing, the part number changes. also no ones been able to show me two stock cranks that are different
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 10:15

a worked 4age will run the pants around a 20v

of course! any worked engine wil beat the same non worked engine.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't use the term streetable, I used the term effective street engine.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://ira11y.qnix.com.au/4ACranks.jpg

heres a couple that are clearly different, sadly i didnt place the silvertop one next to these as visually it looked different to me, the balance weights were narrower again than the 100kw, that could have been manually altered but it looked like a factory casting to me, next time i tear my engine down ill take some pics of it.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 22:41]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird, does look quite different, now ill have to go take pics of mine.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why everyone uses 101 cranks

best one of the lot
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the one on the left looks like a stock 4age, the middle has been lightned and played with a lot, and the one on the right looks like something else alltogether! hard to tell from the pic but it looks as if some of the journals are not 4age size, and wheres the oil galleries?

i vlooked long and hard into the 4ages over the last 2 years, both through toyotas epc and actual engines, apart from the internet myths about ae111 hollow cranks and 4agze being stronger, this is the only time iv heard different.

im afraid there really is ont the one 42mm version, no special ones, none better than others, they are the same
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sat, 23 April 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the r/h one a bluetop? 40mm?
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 24 April 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DOh mates account loged in...

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 04:22]

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 24 April 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm so u guys think that keeping the 16V bigport is the best way of geting power? Also why is the silvertop better then the blacktop? Is the weak part of a b/t only the rods? Im planing on sticking with a NA set up and i had my mind set on a b/t but now i got doubts....its good to hear other ppls opinions on this topic

thanx

Adam

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 24 April 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rods in the black top are the weakest link. but fine for street use if u keep it under 8500.

bets parts comboe would be....

silvertop/late 16v rods, black pistons and head for an n/a engine.
use black t/bs and ecu etc
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 24 April 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Watch out when you set your sights higher, as the 16v heads flow better and have better squish areas than the 20v heads.
That said, for street use i wouldnt aim for too much more than 150hp at the fly.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 12:32]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Sun, 24 April 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

well the one on the left looks like a stock 4age, the middle has been lightned and played with a lot, and the one on the right looks like something else alltogether! hard to tell from the pic but it looks as if some of the journals are not 4age size, and wheres the oil galleries?

hahah lets clear up the picture a bit shall we to save the stupid comment brigade breaking out...

left to right is...

40mm 3 rib bigport crank, 42mm 7 rib smallport crank, 40mm 3 rib 4A-C crank

no shaved or modified crank amongst them Smile

If the EPC says there are only 2 types then id be inclined to agree, perhaps the crank i have in my engine was modified ex japan but as ive allready said it did look different to any 100kw item ive seen previously but not in a custom modified way, still had the factory castings on the sides of the weights. If and when i need to pull the engine apart ill take some pics of it

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 23:19]

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE 16V or 20V Mon, 25 April 2005 00:15 Go to previous message
haha tricky! Laughing

well, they certainly are different!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:710 cap problem
Next Topic:t28 boost