Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kduong01
Occasional Poster

November 2004
1JZ Gearbox Thu, 21 April 2005 11:47 Go to next message
Hey ppl,

I was wondering if anyone has managed to fit up the 6-speed Getrag Supra JZA80 gearbox to a JZX100 1JZ?

I was wondering if this would fit up nicely with minimal work? Has anyone done anything similar like this?

I want to make sure the gearbox doesnt blow on me, once I start making more power. We all know the gearbox is the achilles heel in the JZX100s Laughing

Thanks,
Kei
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Gearbox Thu, 21 April 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blowing out the gearbox might not be your biggest issue - blowing out the cost of putting it in might be!
kduong01
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Thu, 21 April 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

So you reckon a better alternative is to remove the internals of the gearbox and use aftermarket stuff like the OS Giken gear Very Happy ???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Thu, 21 April 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's an old saying: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Seems to apply here.
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Sun, 24 April 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have fitted a Getrag 6 speed to my 1JZGTE VVTi.
Bolts straight on. Used JZA80 flywheel, clutch plate as well so all parts are compatible.

Had the Getrag checked out before I fitted it. Cost about $450 for complete tear down and inspection.

DOn't forget the tailshaft is different. The Getrag has a sq flange mount at the rear. Used Landcruiser fornt-shaft parts to make the new tailshaft.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 02:13]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Sun, 24 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also if its the same trans tunnel as the JZZ Soarer it will require modification to fit ( read Cutting trans tunnell).

The Supra has a raised floor panel section to accommodate it. WHich you cna get with a conversion kit or a wreck.
Apparently not that dear from Toyota either.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Sun, 24 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats wrong with the R154?

EDIT: assuming you are running an R154, i always thought they were fairly damn strong Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 02:45]

kduong01
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Mon, 25 April 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well its a known fact that these gearboxes are not that strong. Apparently the weakest part in these gearboxes is especially the thrust bearings.

I really dont want to be blowing out my gearbox when I start making more power. It will be pretty embarrassing showing up to a meet and then to blow ur gearbox. Laughing
snail
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Mon, 25 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm....1 V160 = 2.5 R154. I have seen many V160 boxes blown without much effort. Alot of money to get basically an extra gear. I think gettin a 2J bottomend would be money better spent. Cheers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Gearbox Mon, 25 April 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snail wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 19:37

mmmmm....1 V160 = 2.5 R154. I have seen many V160 boxes blown without much effort. Alot of money to get basically an extra gear. I think gettin a 2J bottomend would be money better spent. Cheers

yet plenty of people still run 600+bhp without blowing them.
kduong01
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Mon, 25 April 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everywhere I look warns me about my gearbox thats why. Confused
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: 1JZ Gearbox Mon, 25 April 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snail wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 19:37

Butchering will blow any gearbox.

V16x's don't suffer from thrust washer issues (1st gear, which applies to all the other gears as it cops abuse during harsh
changing of gears.

I havn't seen any R154's do 8 second passes in full weight Supras......
snail
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1JZ Gearbox Wed, 27 April 2005 00:14 Go to previous message
All i said is that for what this guy is using it for there is nothing wrong with the R154. I have seen many R154 handling very high HP. All Im saying for kduong is that he can spend his money on other things as V160s are expensive for his purpose, and I dont think kduong is doing 8sec passes. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 27 April 2005 00:16]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age 20v Ae101 swap
Next Topic:Boost problems in st185 gt4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:37:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044620037078857 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.