Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 05:22 Go to next message
Hi, was putting the r32 gtst brakes on my soarer today and we had them all on all was dandy, bled the brakes.. but for some reason now, the brake are stuck fully on.. the pistons are pushing the pads right against the discs, we cant figure out why?, any suggestions
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you put a new or reco master cyl on? (recently or with the brakes? )
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are the pistons pushed all the way home in the bores? if they are then you've got some shimming to do to space the calipers off the discs. Otherwise, see if you can open the bleeder valves and force the pads back, umm . . . are you sure everything's square? If the calipers are slightly askew, the pistons can easily jam in the bores - that's bad, . . ..mmmokay
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no new master cylinder
All i changed was the discs, calipers and the lines from calipers to the body, they were pushed all the way back when we put them on.. but obviously now they are not
everything should be perfectly square
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
master cyl might of craped itself tend to die when you bleed the brakes and thay are a bit old
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you overhauled the calipers? There may be some crap inside the piston hole stopping pressure releasing. Can happen if hoses have broken down on the inside and the rubber forced into the (small) holes into the caliper.

Had this happen to me, while driving, locking up a front left at about 110 k's on the M4. In 2 tons of range rover. Managed to take out a few trees pulling it up.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt overhaul them.. i doubt there is anything in the hole.. before i put them on, i could push the piston back in its hole well enough.
poor trees
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doubt it's the master cylinder as fail usually = no pressure but check along the lines. Have someone press pedal after you crack a fitting. Got fluid, move down the line till you find a point you have no fluid.

Or do the same from the caliper end up, while levering the piston to push it back.

Does it have a propotioning valve? May be a problem are but never done anything with them except replace with adjustable.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 18:58

didnt overhaul them.. i doubt there is anything in the hole.. before i put them on, i could push the piston back in its hole well enough.
poor trees

ALLLLLLLWAYS inspect/kit calipers before fitting, recently i had someone come to me with a sticking caliper and it was just a little surface rust in the bore of the caliper, wet&dry sandpapered' it cleaned and off it went

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 11:21]

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 18:52

Managed to take out a few trees pulling it up.

With a username like yours one would think you were aiming for them Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Sun, 24 April 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 21:20

Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 18:58

poor trees

ALLLLLLLWAYS inspect/kit calipers before fitting, recently i had someone come to me with a sticking caliper and it was just a little surface rust in the bore of the caliper, wet&dry sandpapered' it cleaned and off it went

I did inspec and fully clean them up.. they seemed fine
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Mon, 25 April 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay fixed it.. brakes are working.. still grabbing a little but that will go away i beleive
pedal feels a bit spongy.. but ill see how i go
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Mon, 25 April 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When bleeding brakes never go past half way down. Because they don't usually go down that far, it can stuff them up easily.

Also, probably not your prob but, on my car I swapped booster and master cylinder and the brakes were stuck on. Turns out the bolt holding the pedal to the plunger thing was too tight and holding it in. Embarassed
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Mon, 25 April 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 16:50

When bleeding brakes never go past half way down. Because they don't usually go down that far, it can stuff them up easily.

not an issue if you bleed your brakes now and then OR get a stainless steel sleaved master cyl (prefered option IMHO)
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Brake upgrade problem, pistons sticking Tue, 26 April 2005 08:23 Go to previous message
looks like a busted master cylinder
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1978 RT-104 Corona questions
Next Topic:question about modifying a strut.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 10:08:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049369335174561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.