Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 04:31 Go to next message
Whootage....

first drift on TrackSide...(Channel ten) today...

footage from the Toyo Nationals at Calder Park....

Whoot....

Guess that means drift is getting mainstream acceptance....
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just finished watching it and GODDAMN! IT WAS AWESOME!

show your support for the sport and give channel ten a call and let them know how good you thought it was too see such a fantastic sport on television finally!

numbers are below:

Qld: ( 07 ) 3214 1010
NSW: ( 02 ) 9650 1010
VIC: ( 03 ) 9275 1010
SA: ( 08 ) 8239 1010
WA: ( 08 ) 9345 1010

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I actually thought it was going to be worse than it was. was pretty impressed with the quality of the footage etc..

Only complaint I got was it was all Nissans Sad

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i missed it F%*K!

on my way into work early Sad
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone catch the black wagon that smacked into the wall? For a second I thought it looked like an AE95 but I highly doubt it

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 05:11]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha I called Ten, the lady had almost no idea what I was talking about... It must have been a 30second phone call tops...

It is really good to see drifting becoming an actual motorsport...

One quote that brought a smil to my face "this is perhaps one of the most exhilerating motorsports ever"

And its so true, so much more happens than the F1 or V8's... The cars are always on the edge, its always close... what more could you want???
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:11

Anyone catch the black wagon that smacked into the wall? For a second I thought it looked like an AE95 but I highly doubt it

the wagon was a subaru legacy/ liberty RS turbo ot GTb whatever that has been converted to RWD.
Watched it was great though reeckong would be better without commentators, better than the SBS footage cos you actually got to hear the cars but most of the commentators know juack say the same shit all the time and just irritate me,less talk more action i say but never the less is good to see it getting mainstream tv coverage.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:21

Conquest wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:11

the wagon was a subaru legacy/ liberty RS turbo ot GTb whatever that has been converted to RWD

Thanks for the clarification Cool Not too many small RWD wagons on the market, though an AE95 turbo RWD would make for an interesting conversion I suppose (if the driveline stood up to it). Anyway back on topic...

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was the gayest thing i have seen in awhile
tho my standards must be to high
stupid option dvds Razz
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thing that gave me the shits with it (while still being stoked drift was on telly) was that the commentators didn't seem to know too much about drift....

example:

every time someone was sideways they talked about using the handbrake...which as far as I know is only one of the ways to get a car sideways.....

someone should send the TrackSide commentator team the drift bible Razz

other than that I was stoked to see Drift on mainstream TV.

sponsorship for drifters a plenty soon Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear people enjoyed it Smile

cant wait for the next round now Wink

DRIFT ROCKS! Very Happy
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its great but they definatly need more cluey comentators
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^ it will happen, do not fear Smile

they should really get jason up there as contrary to what people say, he does know his shit, he knows the drivers and he could talk his way out of a hostage negotiation!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy from drift nats is damn good now.

he used to suck but hes up with the knowledge now
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:43

good to hear people enjoyed it Smile

cant wait for the next round now Wink

DRIFT ROCKS! Very Happy

I SECOND THAT IT WAS AWESOME
DRIFT ROCKS! Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all of you that liked it please ring channel ten and let them know as we want too see more of it Very Happy
go_the_datt
Regular

February 2005
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was great. except at the start when interveiwing one of the competitors the competitor says how he uses drifting to get away/out run the cops. even goes on to say hes only been caught the once.
not the shit to say on tv when we are all trying to get it onto mainstream tv and help raise its image.
my 2 cents
ben
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what fuckhead said that?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was some on sports tonight last week. Totally bogan guy interviewed, VB in hand, singlet and thongs, missing teeth etc saying it was totally awesome but would be better is there were more V8's Rolling Eyes

Was on RPM today as well with lots of non drift type vehicles, lots of laughing at dunnydores (incl one Wankingshaw VL) loosing it at every opportunity.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 17:11

what fuckhead said that?

before you jump to the extreme conclusions you have, maybe you want to hear the full story...for starters it was taken completely out of context by the media, believe it or not the media often misconstrew things to the public, he was actually reffering to the days when there were no public track days for sliding and the streets were the only place it was possible...
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dam what time was it on??

totally 4got
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 18:54

what fuckhead said that?

before you jump to the extreme conclusions you have, maybe you want to hear the full story...for starters it was taken completely out of context by the media, believe it or not the media often misconstrew things to the public, he was actually reffering to the days when there were no public track days for sliding and the streets were the only place it was possible...

i see

but still.... not good
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh caught tha drift, although didnt expect it.....just heard it on Tv and was like sweet, taped it...was good to watch......cant wait to see more action....keep toymods up2date of upcoming drift events that are due to be broadcast....(for anyone that knows).

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad :: :twistedtwisted: Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Razz Razz Razz Razz Shocked Confused Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just finished watching in on tape , as channel ten has way to many adverts for my liking . All i can think was the footage from the non factory guys that is floating around the forums is way better than the level of the top 16 . If they are serious about making it grow on TV they better think about adding some of the action , maybe the finals from the private level . Just because they payed the big money to enter doesn't mean there have the best cars or driving . But as a example of the non factory drivers skill look at this guy :

http://www.snowpics.net/media/websized_movie.wmv

Really if you also look at the national and state round racing on SBS in bloody shit hot at the moment , lots of action , and there not just focusing on the people paying the big money to enter . The people up the from are paying the same as the guys at the rear of the field , and the end result is people trying bloody hard . And the viewer gets exciting racing to watch .
And there getter 265+ cars at those events now over three days of racing .

But maybe the better comp was in SA at the time as well , with the events crossing over , because it was like watching paint dry really.
screech
Regular

February 2005
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe some toymods guys should make like a mini episode for channel ten and send it in, that way we could put the right twist on it to make it sound like the maddest sport that it is!!

all we need is a good camera man and acces to good filming areas at the next drift meet, then get cluey computer bloke to put in some voice overs and add a few driver interviews

easy!
then send it to channel ten with a letter sayinbg that this is how drift really is.

(Just an idea though)
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go_the_datt wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 17:13

it was great. except at the start when interveiwing one of the competitors the competitor says how he uses drifting to get away/out run the cops. even goes on to say hes only been caught the once.
not the shit to say on tv when we are all trying to get it onto mainstream tv and help raise its image.
my 2 cents
ben

Me and Des and Johnny were literally on the floor laughing at the comment..
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One was a channel ten commentator and the other was Travis Dunstan who actually does know his stuff about drifting as he is one of Australia's top drifters [sponsored by Whiteline] however I believe he doesn't drift now or as often due to helping to run the Drift Nats series.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Drift on TrackSide Sun, 24 April 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I watched the drift on Trackside & on RPM.
I was a bit disappointed in the amount of footage shown but I enjoyed what I seen. I gave Ch 10 a ring and told them I would like to see more drift coverage on TV and got about the same response as 79rollaboy got,but if they get enough calls it might make a difference.

I think Drifting here in Australia is only young in race terms. Give it some time to grow and grow I think it will.just be patient. I for one will be keeping an eye open for any further TV coverage of the sport and trying to get to a drift meeting.

That "how he uses drifting to get away/out run the cops." comment even taken out of text is not good for the sport.Remember the general public has a bad impression of young 'P' drivers,these cars used in drifting are what they see hooning around on public streets & in car-parks.

PS. If anyone is interested check out this link.
http://www.rpmlive.tv/pitboard/forums/9/ShowForum. aspx

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 23:38]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Drifting was MAD Cool, i cant beleive its on channel 10. The more main stream drifitng gets, the more amateurs will be buying silvias and 180's and street drifiting, thinking its easy killing themselves and others. I could name 10 people that own silvias who have crashed them within 1 year of ownership. Anyway where are the sprinters?, i was expecting to see some sweet sprinters Very Happy .
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 21:06

But as a example of the non factory drivers skill look at this guy :

Firstly that video is awesome. Well shot and well edited. Notice how he only ever steers one handed and just lets the wheel spin to where he wants it. Very nice.

However it is better suited as a personal promo or a piece for the drift maniac (like me). Drift coverage on TV needs to be a bit more informative and exciting for your regular TV viewer. I think it was great the nationals made mainstream TV and I've rung several times to tell Ch10 that. Sure it will hopefully become a bit more informative and have coverage of the street class, but you can't expect them to get it perfect straight off the bat.

Hen
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed that the video is awesome!

I also believe that drift must be presented in a light that the everyday motorsport enthusiast.

Channel Ten has introduced it to the Australian public as a new sport that is unknown to the majority of the people in this country.

Its like when they started showing rallying as a mainstream presentation on TV. It began as a very basic telecast and now is much more detailed as the public's knowledge of this sport has increased.

Travis Dunstan who was commentating knows more about drift than most of us and has the intelligence to realise that the australian public knows very little and has really shown very good commentary skills in making his comments very basic.

Anyway, Drift is great.

Jezza

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 11:57

improvedae86 wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 21:06

But as a example of the non factory drivers skill look at this guy :

Firstly that video is awesome. Well shot and well edited. Notice how he only ever steers one handed and just lets the wheel spin to where he wants it. Very nice.

However it is better suited as a personal promo or a piece for the drift maniac (like me). Drift coverage on TV needs to be a bit more informative and exciting for your regular TV viewer. I think it was great the nationals made mainstream TV and I've rung several times to tell Ch10 that. Sure it will hopefully become a bit more informative and have coverage of the street class, but you can't expect them to get it perfect straight off the bat.

Hen

and when he switches the cd track mid drift
hahaha classy!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 16:54

what fuckhead said that?

that was jerome kennedy that said that. he said he used to run away from cops and only got caught once but now hes changed his ways and drifts.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was chatting with a mate from a workshop which had two sponsored cars at Calder , and they went to SA with there car .
He called it perfectly , "people seem so court up in the sponsorship and tv coverage that have forgotten the most important aspect" . "There also need to be able to drive" , all the bling is useless without this . I have seen better driving than the top 16 at the Calder drift nights by people with stock cars Laughing

As far as the guy saying he was or ran from the cops , that really doesn't help any motorsport , you might see the police with the books out writing your cars number plates down to send you a epa notice next drift day . Just like the easternats this year Sad . That kind of hero act only end in grief , or a big fine Sad and brings the image of the sport down , maybe to the level of the street drag racers running into shops and power poles all over the place atm .
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 14:35

As far as the guy saying he was or ran from the cops , that really doesn't help any motorsport , you might see the police with the books out writing your cars number plates down to send you a epa notice next drift day . Just like the easternats this year Sad . That kind of hero act only end in grief , or a big fine Sad and brings the image of the sport down , maybe to the level of the street drag racers running into shops and power poles all over the place atm .

exactly. in context or not. stop trying to come across as a hero.

oh and

http://www.fulllock.com/vids/ToyoDriftNatsRnd1-Ten News.wmv

for those that missed it @ 5pm news
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:06

i missed it F%*K!

on my way into work early Sad

bugger, i missed it aswell, never would have guessed chanell ten would be showing drifting Mad its on discovery every now and then but damn!!! the motorsport shows on ten sometimes have races with aussie sprinter in em, thats about as close as ive gotten to seeing it mainstream,,,but a fair few people in the public know about it now aswell,,,,,its all coming together hihihihih Evil or Very Mad
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 15:26

that was the gayest thing i have seen in awhile
tho my standards must be to high
stupid option dvds Razz

haha im with you on that
i got all excited when i saw that R31 thinking there was gonna be more shitboxes going apeshit

no im not calling the r31 a shitbox Razz Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In regards to what Jerome said (about running away from cops) well it's not like he said it was a good idea although I agree maybe it's not in the best interests of the sport - but compared to James Vahoumis' totally average promotion of the sport whilst being interviewed at least Jerome showed some genuine enthusiasm every time he was on camera and he was clever enough to thank Channel 10 at the end (although Channel 10 may have edited James' stuff down a bit).

Having said all that I thought it was some pretty decent coverage and they did a great job for a first time. As long as we support channel 10 and what they do then the sport will only get bigger and better through greater maintsream exposure - this is the kind of thing we need to show our potential sponsors, that the sport is up their with the other top motorsports in Australia in terms of dollar and promotional value.

Now all we have to do is make sure we put on a damn good show at every event we go to.

Improved-AE86 - I sort of agree with your evaluation of the driving, but you are being a bit negative. Some of the driving was extremely good and although obviously not D1 quality - people like Jerome Kennedy, James Vahoumis, JT and Pickering etc did extremely well, and definitely outshone people like Will Orders who used to have a drive in the Pedders ARC team (although my opinion of him has dropped quite significantly with his crap showing in that Subaru Liberty RS wagon) and others.

I think it might be a while before we will see the street class on TV - simply because what's the point? None of them have visible sponsors and hence it's not as big a promotional exercise for those competitors. For those looking to get in to the pro class though I guess a good showing in the street class will always go well in terms of gaining sponsors trust.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Drift on TrackSide Mon, 25 April 2005 13:30 Go to previous message
bogan fuckwit from telly the other night

the cars mate, they're flamin good, seein them go around the track

I like it when they flamin just drift, they come around like sideways

i weant this guys flamin address so i can go and stick my flamin wang in his flamin ear.

has anyone got the footage of the coverage on trackside.

i like the comments the shit scared passenger gave, he was packing Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Desperately seeking MrWizzle?? anyone got a contact no?
Next Topic:Melbourne person WANTED
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:17:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00705885887146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.