Toymods » General Car Talk » Need some Advice on Insurance

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Spaceboy
Occasional Poster

September 2002
icon3.gif  Need some Advice on Insurance Sat, 14 December 2002 10:52 Go to next message
Okay, I'm looking to buy a Supra at the moment and I found one that I like. But before I buy it, I've been checking out insurance and damn, I'm having trouble. When I first rang up some companies, some would take me but others wouldnt. Now I find out that some of the ones that said they would take me, wont anymore. I'm in QLD and Im 21yr which is one of the main problems. Anyone care to help on some good insurance companies and how much they pay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sat, 14 December 2002 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what model supra?

i have an 84 model (FOR SALE) and i live in qld. i go through Suncorp Metway. i pay about $700 / year on full compo insurance.
i have had the supra since i was 20.

But i have also been through suncorp metway since i was 16.5 yrs old. i'm now 22. so a rating 1 helps.

but try them.

hope this helps.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sat, 14 December 2002 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're under 25 and looking at an import twin turbo, the major insurance companies won't even touch you. Only people to resort to then are Vigil Insurance, Just Cars (13 13 26) or Torque Insurance here in Qld. Phone numbers in the White Pages.

You have to call them to get quotes & an idea of what you're in for. Torque only does comprehensive but their quotes are the best.

I only wanted 3rd party property so I ended up with Just Cars.

rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sat, 14 December 2002 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Young and Cool were fairly resonable with my quote...

http://www.youngandcool.com.au

You can do on-line quotes thru that website.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 22yo friend, who has just written off a 300zx, still got insurance with suncorp metway for his 1993 TT supra, so they might be worth a try
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was talking about a 7mgte engine converstion a short while back. not even suncorp metway would insure me. the only ones that would was unique cars insurance.

best bet is to go to a insurance broker and let them find you the best insurance.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're going a conversion, just cars will take me for insurance on my 1jz ma61 supra, but you pay for the privellage!
I plan to change to shannons as soon as I'm 25
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just cars would do an mx73 2jzgte for a 19 year old at 600bucks third party.

cripes.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely Suncorp Metway is a good one to go for. A mate is insured wth them for his Mistubishi FTO (dunno how much he pays for full compo).
NRMA sucks. DO NOT GO WITH THEM!!
Young and cool I've heard are quite good too. They will insure cars for young people on cars even with factory turboes! So if it's a Supra TT you're looking at, then they are definitely worth a try.
Insurance brokers are good. Insurance companies are barstards!!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely shop around & get quotes. Shannon also insures cars BUT you must prove to them that your car is either a classic or heavily modified / show car.

Don't write off NRMA ... I was only paying $102 for 3rd property cover with them as compared to $150 with Suncorp before I did my engine conversion etc ... so shop around.
Spaceboy
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks alot you guys for your help. I wouldnt have thought about some of those. Although I did ring up Just Cars but the quote they gave me started me off at a quite pricey price. Although I did ring up young and cool and they wouldnt insure me cause I was under 25 or something like that. If its true that Suncorp Metway would insure then I might go with them since they sort of insure most of my stuff. Whats "Just Cars" like for those that are with them. From my talk with them they allow you do unlimited mods. What are the other companies like?

And SupraBOY, its a 95 TT model.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 December 2002 10:30]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just Cars is fine provided you tell them exactly what you've done. At no point did they say they wouldn't insure me however extra security cover would cost $400 more. For that, I'd rather put in the $$$ for a decent alarm.

Torque insurance will cover anything however they only do comprehensive. Other companies will cover an import but I know that not many will cover you if you then do an engine swap ... ie. GTS RB engine into an S13 or something.

Good luck!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Sun, 15 December 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you still haven't told us if it's a mkiv tt supra, or an old one you plan on doing a conversion on.. it makes a big difference.

shannons are by far the best to get insurance with, if they'll take you. being 21, with a turbocharged car, you'll have to have an exemplry record, plus a 3 point immobiliser, plus probably have the car garaged.
just cars are the modifiers last resort, because they'll insure absolutely anyone.

if it's a turbocharged supra of any variety, modded or otherwise, dont even consider nrma as a 21 yo. they wanted to charge me $460 for 3pp, and that was with a discount cause I'd been with them for 2 years. as a comparion, shannons charged me $470 for full comprehensive.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Mon, 16 December 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got insurance through Just Cars. Price was high, but no one else would insure me. NRMA quoted $7000 for a $6000 car. I used a broker who couldn't find a thing for me. After talking to a few people with heavily modded cars (cars I can't believe even pass rego every year), I found that Just Cars was one of the better companies. I can mod my car all I want as long as it's legal.
Ronin
Regular

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Mon, 16 December 2002 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Always get the name of the person you get a quote from and insist on talking to them when/if you call the same company. I have often found that you would get different quotes from the same company for the same car, best way to ensure your not stooged is to keep track of who you talk to and only speak to the person who gave you the better quote within that company.

My first year I went with a QLD company called Insurance Brokers of Australia but dumped them on the second year - When my renewal notice came they gave my car less than market value as well as wanting more than what I paid on the previous year for comprehensive - even with my increased no claim bonus. I rang them up to see if it was a mistake. It wasn't.
Im now with Shannons, they quoted me over $1K less than above company and have a more realistic street value.

I dont think much of Young and Cool. I have had my MR2 GT for two years now and I am over 25. I found Young and Cool to be one of the most expensive, all their quotes were ridiculous (like over 5K for comprehensive) and I did get quotes from them when I bought my car and more recently when shopping around for my 2nd year of comprehensive.

Just Cars - too expensive .

Best advice is to strike up a convo with whom ever you talk to on the phone when getting a quote. I did with the bloke at Shannons and I got a good price, I found out later that the bloke I was talking to gave me a higher no claim bonus than what I was entitled to, yet they stuck with the price after I advised them. Nice people at Shannons.
silversup
Regular

December 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Mon, 16 December 2002 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree completely with Ronin!
All the others quote very highly and even change their quote depending on who you talk to and when you talk to them.
I am currently with Shannons and haven't had any dramas what so ever!
Good Luck!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Need some Advice on Insurance Tue, 17 December 2002 04:21 Go to previous message
shannons gave me 75% no claim bonus straight away... $470 for full comprehensive insurance on my celica, valued at $5000 (agreed value, they never even asked to see the car).
compare that to nrma, who wanted over $400 for 3PP, and it wasn't hard who to pick.
shannons are also really quick with claims, give you salvage rights on the wreck (very important if the car is written off but your prized engine is fine)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Asians
Next Topic:Bargain!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:02:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048980712890625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.