Toymods » General Car Talk » Front wheel drives

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enuff honky, fair enuff.

I got teh Sime-Tyres koz they were cheap-as, soft, and looked like they'd throw out HEAPS of water (wide channels). Luckily, I guessed right, and they were great in the wet.

May I suggest U save de pennies for cheapie magz and decent tyres, next time around? U can get decent rimz 4 $200/corner nowadays, and decent tyres for $130/corner. Hmm, that still adds up to a $1320 package. . . Cheap for some (Me), a goddamn fortune for others.
  Send a private message to this user    
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 21 October 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have gone the Bridgestone Turanze Gr50s, i used these on my camry and i can't fault them, cost $120 per tyre, but performed quite well in the wet.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I looked at geting some mags, could have got package from bob jane for around 800-900 but that came with shit tyres. My uncle used to work at alan jones pit stop, and prob could have tracked some down pretty cheap as still has contacts, but I was rushed for time cos I wanted to get it done in the school holidays as I am doing the HSC. I looked at getting some second hand mags off the forum but were none around at the time. The about a month and a half ago some AVANTE mags were advertised of a corona was gonna buy them so next time I could get some wider tyres, but then had a minor accident and have been stock piling money to get the car fixed. But once again my uncle a top bloke has offered to fix the car for me as he reckons he should be able to I'll prob get him case a beer or something but heaps better than the 500-730 I was quoted.
I might save up and get a new car though the rona is starting to cost a bit ie petrol, and the engine isn't really in tip top shape. Still makes heaps of power but is starting to use plenty of oil and blowign bit of smoke(only when cold).
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you drive a blue Corona rt142 5 speed with silver Corona Extra stickers on the side?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats me, where abouts in campbelltown are you, I live there to.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i live in Minto, and if im not mistaken i used to work with u at K-mart, i was a checkout chick but i left there at the start of the year.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 04:26]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats me, which one were you
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keith
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still at k-mart, will work there hopefully a bit once hsc is over, had the last month off, the car hasn't been driven for a while cos of them damage ie smashed indicator, dont wanna risk a fine, so drive me mums camry and my sisters pulsar at the moment, bit more mundane, man I miss rwd and a bit more torque camry isn't too bad but you gotta rev it before it really kicks in
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i sold the camry last month, im driving an 04 Hyundai Elantra now, much better than the camry. Puts out 105kw and its much quicker than the camry being a manual and all. I don't like the stock tyres tho, some traction issues in the wet Sad
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 22 October 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:50

thu187 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:45

Since when to FWD cars get bagged out?
My friend's just like "get RWD baby, drift!"
but never once have i been dissed about owning a FWD car

Listen to your friend. He is wise. Very Happy

I know, I am. Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
icon14.gif  Rear Wheel Drive Sat, 23 October 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Nod Rolling Nod Rolling Nod Rolling Nod Rolling

[Updated on: Sat, 23 October 2004 00:47]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 04 April 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is for Rona_Drifta

Read this entire thread from top to bottom, champ.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 21:55

This is for Rona_Drifta

Laughing
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 April 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 12:27

st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 21:55

This is for Rona_Drifta

Laughing

Well, He did seem quite concerned about what everyone else genuinely thinks on the subject . . . . . Rolling Eyes
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 05 April 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 14:35

Yeah i sold the camry last month, im driving an 04 Hyundai Elantra now, much better than the camry. Puts out 105kw and its much quicker than the camry being a manual and all. I don't like the stock tyres tho, some traction issues in the wet Sad

Why oh why, the only time i would get an elantra is if someone payed me to take it off their hands Razz.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 09:55

Why oh why, the only time i would get an elantra is if someone payed me to take it off their hands Razz.

Is that just a stereotype because you bag hyundais, or have you actually driven one?

You'd be surprised, you know...
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes i have driven Hyundais including elantras, i would not pay money for one, when there is TOYOTA Cool .
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd never believe it, but TRUST ME - Daewoo's are REALLY WELL BUILT ! Shocked

And no, I'm not being sarcastic!

shame about the piddly little motors and econ-o-shyte styling Crying or Very Sad

As for the Hyundai's - I can only comment on Excels - and I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole!
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:54

shame about the piddly little motors and econ-o-shyte styling Crying or Very Sad

They are so well built that you need to give away your st184 to me, and get yourself a Daewoo Cool.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:41

Yes i have driven Hyundais including elantras, i would not pay money for one, when there is TOYOTA Cool .

at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, i'll say OF COURSE I'd prefer a toyota (at least from what I've driven from toyota anyway...)

But new hyundais arent exactly the shitboxes everyone seems to think they are. They have some quality cars!

my old 1997 excel twincam went pretty hard
well, it wasnt mine, it was my parents, but i drove it... A LOT that was a fair while ago now but Smile

seems that the normal ones and excel "sprints" were the crappy ones... the twin cam one is really nice to drive!

i saw it the other day when i went round to visit my parents... its got 195,000km on the clock, thing still starts up straight away at the turn of the key and sounds and feels like it runs brand new Surprised

Still prefer a manual corolla over it though.
Not the one with a 4A-FE though

edit: I'm gonna get burned for saying I don't mind hyundais, aren't I? Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 03:36]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well its been about 9 months since i got my elantra and i haven't had a problem with it. Its not as fuel efficent as i thought, i average about 9.0l/100km.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 06 April 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:57

st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:54

They are so well built that you need to give away your st184 to me, and get yourself a Daewoo Cool.

The SillyCar is sold - Sorry bro!

You can buy My skyline off Me for . . . nope. Sorry, not selling teh skyline. Ever. Cool
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Fuck them up their stupid asses Sun, 24 April 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I officially withdraw everything I've said in front wheel drives defence. E-W is utter bollocks (except I might let a few mid engined cars get away with it) and if you want to know why, well expect to get a barrage of swear words coming your way describing my experiences with these so called wonders of automotive engineering.

Objectively they (FWDs) aren't total crud, but subjectively I think they are piles of dog shit and I can't stand to own one much longer. To use someone elses words -> Fuck front wheel drives, fuck them up their stupid asses.

Long live N-S RWD/AWD (quattro/wrx/gallardo etc style)!!!

None of this is intended as offence to anyone who owns or loves their FWD cars, I can see why and I did love my car for a long time, but the love affair is over. Just like a marriage gone sour, it was good while it lasted Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 24 April 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like someone has seen the light Wink
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 24 April 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This must be the oldest bitch fight in the history of toymods...

Well done!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Fuck them up their stupid asses Sun, 24 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 13:17

Long live N-S RWD/AWD (quattro/wrx/gallardo etc style)!!!

Welcome to the dark side Evil or Very Mad
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fuck them up their stupid asses Sun, 24 April 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 13:17

I officially withdraw everything I've said in front wheel drives defence. E-W is utter bollocks . . . . . . . . .

None of this is intended as offence to anyone who owns or loves their FWD cars, I can see why and I did love my car for a long time, but the love affair is over. Just like a marriage gone sour, it was good while it lasted Very Happy

What was the deal-breaker honky? did you try and change the timing belt with the engine in-place? understeer off the road? hehehe Something must of happened to bring the dream crashing down around you ! Razz
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Fuck them up their stupid asses Sun, 24 April 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I also want to know what could break a man so suddenly...
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 24 April 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There has to be a reason for him changing his mind so rapidly.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 24 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are junk isnt that enough of a reason?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 24 April 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call it an epiphany if you will....I just realised my foolishness Very Happy I'm just sick of working on the things - you can't do anything with the engine in the car (although I have mastered several 'impossible' feats, such as timing belt changes with the engine inside the car). There is of course, the fact that Toyota are absolutely shocking engineers. I'm sorry to say but every time they stuff something up, they just throw money at the problem, make some kind of bracket and add more bolts to the engine. Whoever works on the different components and the layout of the mechanicals don't communicate well together and end up making a prick of a car to work on. At least with a more conventional layout (read: RWD) there is so much background knowledge about how to put the things together that they don't totally botch it.

That and I've spent bazillions on these cars (ST162 and ST165) and I never get to drive them! They cost to much to just get ON to the road, let alone keep them there.

Whereas my shitbox RA65 that I picked up for $250 still goes and provides about twenty times the fun in five minutes that I've experienced in 4 years of owning ST16x.

To be honest, it all comes down to personal experience. I can say that I've been there and toyed with the FWD and AWD cars (E-W only) and I can't say there's alot I *like* about them anymore. At least not enough to make me want to own one. Now it's time to move on to something that is just, simply, better by design.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 25 April 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Haha - Yeeaahh! Laughing

Not wanting to gloat or anything, but I seem to remember saying something along those lines about a year ago, somewhere about page 2->4 of this thread . . . . Sing Halleluja brother . . . SING IT !! Razz

Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 25 April 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I expected you to say that - Mr Gloaty Gloat Razz

The fact is, it's all personal opinion and it's still REALLY hard to say that - objectively - FWD is worse than the others. In my personal experience I have enjoyed RWD more and that's all I can say - that these days I can enjoy RWD more than I can FWD, simply because it's too damn hard for me to keep my FWD cars together and drive them.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 21:33

I expected you to say that - Mr Gloaty Gloat Razz

The fact is, it's all personal opinion and it's still REALLY hard to say that - objectively - FWD is worse than the others. In my personal experience I have enjoyed RWD more and that's all I can say - that these days I can enjoy RWD more than I can FWD, simply because it's too damn hard for me to keep my FWD cars together and drive them.

Muhahahaha - you should get an MR2 : all the joy of RWD, with the whacky, snappy Mid-Rear engine weight distribution craziness, plus all the hassles and headaches of an east-west engine layout! I think owning and working on one would have you in the asylum within 9 months Laughing Laughing

"I hate this ghey cramped engine bay, but I love the razor's-edge powerslides . . . . aaaaggghhhh!!!" hehehe hehehe hehehe

No seriously - get a TURBO MR2 ! Evil or Very Mad

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

Do it.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha - a car would have to be f***ing damn good for me to accept E-W engine layout. Maybe something like a Lancia Delta S4 maybe, of course it would be a bitch to work on, but really who cares Very Happy

Until RWD bites me hard in the arse I'll proclaim my love for it.

Now to get my nick changed.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see you have seen the light FWDBOY, but it is likely i might go the other way at the end of this year if my parents have their say, stupid bums are like you can't buy an import its too risky, so if i want a new car its gonna be either a commodore for RWD or a FWD hatch ahhhhh.
Especially when it comes at a time when i am starting to think of a RWD car for possible drift days, i want a newer car sick of owning a old car that has regular problems, ie my fans died and i don't have time to have a look at it so i have no aircon.

Constant checking for oil, it is using a bit lately ahhh. I want a new car that i will still look after with weekly oil checks etc but just need less maintenance have less things that break on it and be a little faster and safer
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well looks like my nick has been 'corrected'

Corona -> Just buy an S15?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am only 19 so an S15 is 4.5K for insurance just a bit too much for my liking
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD/RWDboy, all I have to say is... I told you so Very Happy

Congrats, welcome to the wonderful world of having a rear diff, oversteer, and a gearstick that sits in the gearbox.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets not forget better weight distributions, 'lighter' steering, less cornering induced oil surge problems, crazy oversteer-inducing engine braking and having to clutch in to use the handbrake on hairpin corner entry.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smeh lol who cares thats why u race on a hiway from 80 give the fwd a fightin chance... ive shown many a rwd wat for on the hiway and from lights with similar or the same power... but who cares lol

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 07:05]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 26 April 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but racing on the road isn't very legal now is it Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 27 April 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was a controlld enviroment but lol Razz

come to think of it it was a m8 driving lol Razz
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 27 April 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
handles better with jic coil overs and whiteline sway bars
http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/SDN16V/ Please disregard the dodgy cable ties around the brake line holding it to the strut im waitng to get a new set made Smile
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 27 April 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know, i think FWD cars corner like they are on rails, only instead of the rails going AROUND the corner, they go off on an angle into a gutter....
Im getting a rwd/awd for my next car.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 27 April 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 20:49

I don't know, i think FWD cars corner like they are on rails, only instead of the rails going AROUND the corner, they go off on an angle into a gutter....
Im getting a rwd/awd for my next car.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 27 April 2005 14:18 Go to previous message
Some ppl mistake good handling with torque steer Smile
Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Initial D Celica
Next Topic:AE86 imported for track/rally only? Approx cost?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:36:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010583877563477 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.