Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what is backlash!!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:07 Go to next message
can somebody please enlighten me on the meaning of the backlash of a diff and how to adjust it
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
backlash is how tight pinion and crown wheel in a diff is meshed
when it wears out, the play gets more, or, backlash

so you shim it up
generally adjusted by moving the diff centre sideways to mesh tighter.
also, pinion can be shimmed forward or back, if its in wrong place on crown teeth. but thats set at factory (or diff place) and generally dun need resetting.

diffs that pull out on carrier (come out from front of housing) have 2 rings with holes in them, either side of centre. adjust them.

diff that come out back of housing have shims either side of bearings that hold the centre in place. change them to adjust. Smile
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alriggght sweet, well ive got a ta22 whiney diff centre that is gettin the dodgy weld done to it, should i set the backlash on that or it should be right as its never been dismantled
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suggest to always measure the backlash (the free play between gears, both crown/pinion and spider gears contribute) befor einstalling a diff, that way you can rule it out later as a cause.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay so im pretty sure i know how it works/how its adjusted now, how would you go about measuring the backlash?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take to a diff shop
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the method is usually detailed in the relevant toyota green/yellow books, and sometimes in the 'lesser' manuals..

typically you use a feeler gauge between the crown and pinion gears, and then also between the spider gears and the centre housing.. there's not much you can do for the latter, but for the crown/pinion, some diffs allow you to move it around a bit to take up slack...
then there's pinion preload, which is often a cause for pinion bearing failure..

i typically just set mine by feel and they rarely break, depsite the abuse (and lack of power Wink )

or take it to a diff shop and get them to set it for you to the factory specs... Smile

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 12:02]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: what is backlash!!? Sun, 24 April 2005 12:59 Go to previous message
You ideally need to set pinion height/preload first. This should be done with a new set of pinion bearings and a variety of shims to suit. Takes a vice, some way to hold the pinion to tighten/remove the nut. Some diffs use a collapsable spacer to set load and a tension wrench to tighten the pinion nut.

Then you need to fit the centre. Again should have new bearings, should stop part of the whine. There should be a large nut that will adjust the crownwheel bearings L/R. This will set backlash as the teeth mesh together closer.

Then you need to check the lap of the gears. This is the surface area of the gear teeth that is in contact. Use something like bearing blue or valve paste to check. If this is out then dissassemble entire assy and reset pinion height and repeat.

Of course as it's going to be welded forget everything I just said.
Doing it just takes lots of patience and beer. (afterwards of course)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clonking noise coming from celica
Next Topic:AE92 Corolla Tape Deck Help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:27:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056760311126709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.