Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sat, 23 April 2005 09:39 Go to next message
hey all,
im putting an 18RG into my 1984 celica and was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the things that need to be done to get it in.
also was wondering if the sump needs modifying is there anyone in Adelaide that could do that.
cheers
matt
  Send a private message to this user    
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sat, 23 April 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for starters you will need a ra60 engine xmember as the 2s will be wrong
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sat, 23 April 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool
is there anything else need doing to put the motor in.
cheers
matt
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sat, 23 April 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did 18rg's come out past 84 i thought they were only up to 83?

don't think your allowed a older engine in a newer car
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sun, 24 April 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the 18rgeu;s came out till 85 in some ra65;s. im currently putting a 18rgeTu into a sa63. it involved making up new mounts as i have spoken to a few people and have said that even though the ra60 had a r engine. the mounts were different to the 18rg. therefor i made up plates that bolt to my crossmember then redrilled out the new holes for the mounts. i also opted to go to a w50 insted of using my w55 as the w50 felt better and i was having trouble getting a bellhousing for the w55 to r engine. also differences in the radiator outlets and exhaust on opposite sides. The 2s-c has a inbuilt coil in the dizzy so going to a rg involves wiring up a new cvoil. all the engine loom from the passenger side of the bay has to be moved to the drivers side. its very doable but fiddly and time comsuming. hopefully ill get some pics up of mine in the future.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Sun, 24 April 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it worth it ?

why go with the 18rg ?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you kidding ?

Have you driven a 2SC ?
Do that then drive an 18RG.......

And then be welcomed to the dark side Luke...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got 2 2s-c celica's at my house now.

What car did the 18rg come in ?

I knew somebody who was thinking of putting a 18rg in his RA60 but legally he couldn't do it.

customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont see why it would be illegal it is the same specs as the original motor a carbie 2 litre 4 cylinder dont even have to get it checked by regency.
but ive heard heaps of people have done it.
and i got the 18RG for $200 so ithought it would be worth it to put it in.
cheers
matt
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supposidly the motor should be as old or newer than car.

but 18rg's were made up until 1984 (18r-geu)

go for it; 18rg's have a lot of potential
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why thank you i hope it all works out and i get the car going hard.
Very Happy Very Happy
cheers
matt
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will need to get a R type bellhousing for your w55 gearbox to put the 18rg in.

or you can get a w50 gbox from a earlier celica, like what ben (people100) has done

brett
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Mon, 25 April 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing about older engines in newer cars is the standard of emmissions, not so much the age (but not totally wrong either)

generally a older motor wont be up to the level of emissions that the newer car requires ... hence the legalities.

can be sorted but apparently to prove you need emmissions testing which from what i've heard thru rumour can cost a few K.

Cheers

Nathan
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Tue, 26 April 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think unless its some monster 18rg i wouldnt be bothering. its alot of effort to go to as im finding out right now. basically ive spoken to some engineers and they just go off that the engine must be out of a newer model car or its not legal. ive heard that the 18rgeu's came out until early 85 in some ra65's but since your using a 18rgu i doubt it would even be legal.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Tue, 26 April 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i'm aware ra60-ra65 celicas never had an 18rg in them stock, the aus delivered ones that is
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Swaping 2S-C out of 84 Celica with a 18RG Thu, 28 April 2005 06:48 Go to previous message
yeah the australian ones didnt but japan did.
it was in the japan version celica GT and in the japan edition Corona GT.
so on a different note i have gathered from all you guys that the only mods needed is xmember modified and R type bellhousing is that all?
cheers
matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sr20det conversion
Next Topic:gear knob conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 21:44:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058388710021973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.