Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 04:45 Go to next message
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Joyce-wants-am endment-to-student-bills/2005/04/10/1113071845036. html

Not only are the student unions going to be abolished, they're gonna make sure all students keep paying for their sports facilities.

I love the irony - They abolish the compulsary unions supposedly because not all students use them (or because they fight against the govt trying to fuck over students, either way... those of you who think student unions are uselss for most students shouldn't be at uni), but they're going to keep all students paying for their sports facilities, when I'm pretty sure a decent portion of students couldn't give a flying fuck about the uni gym.

First year or younger people are not permitted to reply to this thread unless they have decent knowledge of what I'm talking about, and can articulate an intelligent argument for or against.
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"The essence of this legislation, and this primarily very good legislation, is to get rid of compulsory student unionism and the militant aspects that it represents, and no one's got an argument with that.

Mad i want to climb a clock tower.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And which dumb fuccs voted Howard back in!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 16:00

And which dumb fuccs voted Howard back in!

Don't look at me dude. I voted Labour 1st, Liberal last every federal election since they said they were gunna bring the GST in. I even went to the trouble of working out the preferences of the minor parties to make my vote count as much as possiible.

After the GST came in, people I knew said: "Damn, I'm worse off now than before the GST, even with the income tax break. And I voted Liberal coz I thought I'd be better off!"

To which I'd reply: "What did you THINK was gunna happen? Politicians bring in new taxes because they want MORE of your money, not LESS!"

People seem to take about 3 years to forget how bad Howard screwed them over at the last election. The sad/annoying part is that more than half the country is this retarded. The Liberals have been trying to get rid of compulsory student unionism ever since it came in, because they know that most of the uni kids involved lean heavily to the left, politically. They had to wait until now to do it, coz they've got such total control of upper & lower houses of teh parlaiment.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it should be fair game to hit-n-run student liberal club members ... it's their mates in power that have led to this...

how about the first clubs to be disbanded or stripped of financial support are the liberal student clubs...

as a former treasurer of a student union in Brisbane and an editor of a student magazine at another, i can assure you the money and the services and the support that every single student club or association needs at some during the academic year will be gone if this gets up - and also gone will be the support that the union would offer for academic appeals, representation to uni admin, greivances, security, decently priced second hand books, accomodation support, health and legal services/advice ...

let's not forget who started this anti-union pogrom - Tony Abbott and Brendan Nelson - two fine examples of extremist, neo-nazi conservatism .. bastards.

anyway - this forum's not to cover political issues so this the end is my 2c worth.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok dont shoot me yet, i dont go to uni i just wanna understand...

i have many friends at uni, who've been there for 3 years or more and they are agaisnt compulsory unionism. ok, so you think they shouldnt be at uni if they think they dont need the uni, i just wanna here both sides. i know someone like my girlfriend for example, who works full time while at uni, goes there for the lectures and turtorials then goes home, she doesnt use any sporting facilities etc, so whats in it for someone like her?
and if the union is as great as you guys are saying, wouldnt people join it on their own accord?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck it, i'll add another 2c

evosti: the unions are there to provide a voice for all students, to advocate students and their welfare (both social and educational), to create the whole environment you take for granted (e.g. on campus facilities like bookshops, food, childcare, sporting clubs, medical clinics, banks, social clubs) - they come courtesy of the student and staff unions not the uni admin.

all that stuff and more that you take for granted has mostly been won thru hard work, effort, lobbying, campaigning, by student unions and student and staff associations.

for instance, the after hours security you take for granted (like courtesy buses, safe carparks, etc) was mostly provided or won by student unions in opposition to uni admins - for years, the only after-hours security buses at UQ and griffith were provided BY THE UNION.

the resources you girlfriend relies on - like after hours acccess to the library or high volume, low cost photocopying - were often won by Unions working with library staff to get access hours and services enlarged beyond standard business hours

at GU and USQ, it took action by Unions working with Unis and staff associations to get better public transport to these places - they had to lobby the uni admin to get it to lobby the city council to improve services afterhours and on weekends.

at USQ, the union ended up providing photocopier services in the library cause the Uni would't put enough money into the library.

the courses your girlfriend does may have been peer reviewed or had contributions or criticism added to their development by Union education and post-grad officers.

If one of her lecturers treats her poorly or unprofessionally, it will probably be the union acting on her behalf that has any affect/improvement on any complaint she lodges.

If you take the Unions out of Uni's you'll be left with lecture theatres, workshops and computer rooms - the whole communities that make up tertiary institutions will be lost and it'll be like a big sausage factory/school.

if you dont want any union involvement Evosti, then don't use anything from the Uni except the classrooms. And when you have a complaint or lodge an appeal - don't expect any help at all. none.... that's what the ending of compulsory unionism will result in - universities that achieve and contribute nothing.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in summary - people are dumber than posts, and just as lazy... they rely more often than not on OTHER people doing shit for them. when they finally get off their asses, its usually too little, way too late...

with compulasory unionism the people who DO bother to stand up and try and get stuff done, can say they have the backing of financial members in EXTRAORDINARILY large numbers...

unfortunately with this gone, student/administrative political influence etc has VANISHED

thats an enormous number of people the govt has just wiped out... funny how it comes hand in hand with the introduction of higher HECs fees Rolling Eyes

AS IF any student will voluntarily join the union. money upfront for unsorseeable future benefits?? huh!!

i dont agree sometimes with how well the union is run, or how well some services are subsidised, but meh, good with the bad.

and yes, im a life member of the usyd stud union

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's just it - first year entry I bitched and whined about this "union" crap and how it woudln't help me. years later, I see the folly of my ways and am bloody glad I could contribute to everyhting the union helps support, create and subsidise - but of course the govt is banking on most first years being like me, which will effectively cripple the student unions.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Sun, 10 April 2005 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, im a 4th year student

a. i voted liberal

b. i think there SHOULD be a student union

c. id rather not pay for it, but, id rather pay for it than not have one at all!

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 02:35

a. i voted liberal

c. id rather not pay for it, but, id rather pay for it than not have one at all!

Open your eyes dude - The federal Libs (at the moment) are all about not spending money where they don't win many votes (Universities in this case) and bulldozing people/organisations who make their job harder, by asking for a fair deal (student unions in this case).

I don't wanna make this personal, but perhaps you're a little slow catching on to this sorta stuff . . . since you're AT UNI and all . . . . . . . DON'T TRUST JOHN HOWARD ! ! Shocked

That said (rant over) :

Student Union is grouse 'n stuff. They do all the things "TheChuckster" listed and more, which you don't notice or think of until you need it.

or until it's gone . . .
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flip side....I spent 3.5 years at hospital as a student, yet had to pay FULL union fees. I had to buy my books from a non uni bookshop, bought my meals at non uni cafs and was never at uni (always in hospital) such that I could avail myself of the union facilities. I had/have nothing but contempt for the arts students with 3 contact hours a week that wroughted the system - the dole bludging, pot smoking, tree hugging hippies that they were.

The one facility I used - the Car Club - became a non union affiliated club!!!

And what the fuck is it with the "Womyn's Room" at the Monash Union? Did those bitchez forget about discrimination? The irony is delicious. Rolling Eyes

Good riddance to compulsory unionism. Oh and I voted Labour. Yes, I'm an angry man.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i here you GT my bro is doing medicine at the moment and is in final year its a crock, six weeks at the uni per year for like 6 grand and then the union fees.
I am kinda of the same opinion myself, i started uni this year as a part time student. I work fulltime so i go to uni wednesday and thursday night yet still pay the bullshit fees i mean i am at uni 7 hours a week, will never use any of the union services or the subsidised gym etc. And just for the note i vote liberal, cos the day labor actually bring policies to the table that are actually finished i'll think about it.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with GT in a way.

I attended uni as a part time adult entry and resented paying for the stuff I could never use/had time to use.

The only thing I availed myself of occaisionally was the diner, but that was it as i was working full time.

I mean after paying over $1.5k towards them, I even had to hire the grad gown, the union couldn't even organise that ?

That said, it is probably going to be worse without them for a majority of students.

I voted Democrats - yeah yeah I know Rolling Eyes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I view student unions a bit like the tax system. The Govt has made a big song and dance about all the services that unions provide which lots of students don't use. However, the Govt takes my tax dollars and spends them on a shitload of things I don't use/need either. So I support VSU as long as there is a Voluntary Taxation bill as well.

Plus, the students are going to pay the money ANYWAY. Uni's will just add admin fees and charges to cover the stuff student unions won't do anymore. So on one hand, you pay the money and have a tiny tiny insignificant say (by voting in student elections) about how it's spent. Or you can have no say.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im giong to put forward my personal views.

I believe that the Student Unions do a whole world of good for the university lifestyle and for the provision of services that would otherwise NOT exist without the co-existence of the student union and their student funding.
I feel upset that compulsary membership is to be abolished as this will see the death of so many services, clubs, support networks etc etc that the unions provide....

However, there is a large level of polarisation when it comes to the social groups represented and majoritively supported by the Union leaderships.
Arts students, lesbians, gays, ethnics, etc etc.... EVERYONE but your average 18-25yo white hetrosexual male studying eng/science/medicine (the backbone of of the modern world, none of this wishy washy bs that the other disciplines teach - sorry to those who study the others).

At UTS, it was unbelievable the level of support and representation the minority groups received, and NOTHING was given to a person such as myself, studying engineering. I am of course talking about things such as the "women's room", "gay week" (or whatever its called) and all of those other useless direct supporting things that the unions do....

But i cant really complain, the union DID silently provide a number of services for me....
# Uni Bar
# Bar games
# competitive beer prices
# Cheap lecture notes
# On campus food
# special events and security for these
# 24 hour access to computer labs and security for such
# many many more that i cant imagine.

So its a case of good with the bad as said before.
Myself i cannot see a resultant good from the abolition of compulsary union membership.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, pretty much what teh Witzl said.

I can't complain about the good run I've had as a white hetero male - let teh gays have de massiff pride parade widt teh devaschtating aidzz and teh rainbow kolorzz and what-not. I'm not too worried about compulsory s.union fees going towards a REASONABLE amount of minority groups and activities, because it's these people that REALLY NEED the support on offer.

I don't like the "screw everyone without money" policy approach that's resulted in this move - and I've got money! It blows because now less people will have "a fair go" at getting a tertiary education. The great thing about having a democratic union is that if it REALLY pisses you off that much, you can run for a position and CHANGE IT ! - No such luck when services are being handed down by government or university.

Sorry for the militant pinko-communist ranting : I'm done now! Embarassed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh....if kids want to protest land rights for aboriginal gay whales, go for it. However, the money spent should represent the proportion of population they represent - fuck all.

What about the funds going towards subsidizing a better health system or better legal aid or better/cheaper food rather than having some fucking discriminatory Womyn's room where 3 dykes can choose from an armamentarium of dildos to probe themselves whilst they're not at their 2 contact hours per week (only to fail and cost society more anyway). Rolling Eyes
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well its good to see both sides of the argument.
i spose it is a lot like tax, noone likes to pay but as a whole its needed, the majority pay for the minority.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 11:08

lang wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 02:35

a. i voted liberal

I don't wanna make this personal, but perhaps you're a little slow catching on to this sorta stuff . . . since you're AT UNI and all . . . . . . . DON'T TRUST JOHN HOWARD ! ! Shocked

yeah, but i really dont care that much about the governments stance on university fees, its my opionin that a well run economy will be more beneficial to me, than marginally lower uni fees. and since liberal has been in term i really cant complain about the economic performance of australia, even more so when compared to how we were when labour was last in power.

86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:30

However, there is a large level of polarisation when it comes to the social groups represented and majoritively supported by the Union leaderships.
Arts students, lesbians, gays, ethnics, etc etc.... EVERYONE but your average 18-25yo white hetrosexual male studying eng/science/medicine (the backbone of of the modern world, none of this wishy washy bs that the other disciplines teach - sorry to those who study the others).

At UTS, it was unbelievable the level of support and representation the minority groups received, and NOTHING was given to a person such as myself, studying engineering. I am of course talking about things such as the "women's room", "gay week" (or whatever its called) and all of those other useless direct supporting things that the unions do....

A-fucken-MEN to that

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 12:16]

eroticar
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys.. n00b here.

I too strongly support teh witzl's points - they seem to have a whole lot of that stuff at my uni (griffith) - queer clubs, women's clubs etc.. and I'm yet to hear about a whole lot of the other stuff that goes on at the uni (sporting clubs etc - I don't think we have many Mad ). I mean..there are several pages in the Student Union Diary that goes around dedicated to this. Also of annoyance to me, is the large role that the union has with International Students - seemingly, alot of OUR money goes towards providing services for them? Here is a little summary of the services provided by the Union@Griffith taken from the Union Diary:

• 5c photocopying (1 photocopier in union room)
  • Free Legal advice
  • 2nd Hand Book Shop (really a shelf) on each campus
  • Free tax help
  • Funding Internation Student Ass.
  • Release 'gossip' like CDs
  • O Week Party
  • Other Parties/Events (usually nights out)
  • Representation when dealing with uni
  • Store on Mt Grav campus (smaller campus)
  • Free Diary Confused

At our university, the Uni doesn't even play a part in subsidising food prices as far as I know - it is all by a catering company (chosen via tender by the university I guess?). This has lead to not too much being available below the $3 mark.. brings back Tony Abbott's argument about the Sausage Roll I guess! Surprised

Anyway, yeah..I'm all for student unionism - I just feel the the union could be doing more for the majority of the students who attend the uni every day. A hard job I guess..

-Luke.
Toymad
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 11 April 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 22:16

THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:30

A-fucken-MEN to that

The polarisation that you speak of is largely a result of the complacency of the average 18-25yo white heterosexual male studying eng/science/medicine. As a science student at UTAS i must say i like most of my colleagues was very slack about voting and hence the majority of reps on the union were from minority groups who care enuf to vote! I considered running coz i saw a lack of representation on our union by science students but realised how futile it would've been coz its too hard to get all of the science/med/eng students to care enuf to vote...

Better representation from each of the major disciplines would result in more effective unions and hence more ppl would want to pay the compulsory fees!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically, They provide a shitload of stuff that minorities use, therefore financial outlay vs no of users is disproportionate = not very good value for the rest.

I did go for some time, externally, still had to pay fees while not seeing any benefit for it. Wife is at uni at the moment, working as well, not using anything. Only benefit to us is alleged subsidised child care which when you work it out we'd still be better off not paying fees as the outlay is more that the subsidy.

I agree with GT. The dykes room needs a webcam.

I agree with Witzl, when you're white, straight and study something normal you get fucked.

Ed you're a life member. Do you still pay fees for that?

EDIT: it wouldn't matter who you voted in. They will still say what you want to hear before the election and screw you afterwards.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 01:09]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a reason why the student union provides for the minorities is cos they run it, the arts students are really the only ones taht have time and could be fucked running it. Hence they make the decisions on what they do with the money.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toymad wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 09:10

The polarisation that you speak of is largely a result of the complacency of the average 18-25yo white heterosexual male studying eng/science/medicine.

bingo

and then who's the first to complain ?

witness this thread
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i voted at every union electiony thingy i could other than in first year.....

Thankfully at UTS we had/have SECSME (society of electrical, computer, software and mechanical engineering) which helps represent the silent majority and act as a sub-union for the average whitey. They were awesome, running social nights, helping with things to do with the bar and things i cared about.

The women's room used to give me the shits, and same to many other engineers/scientists at the bar..... and when beer bingo was canned thanks to the union president being heckled for complaining about the cheavanism we lobbied in retaliation that we (as 18-25yo hetro males) had no representation in the student bodies and no other social group/place/activity where we could be the people that we were..... a year later we got bingo back, and in a couple of the gay/lesbo/arts newsletters it warned that beer bingo was not for the feint hearted (ie, stay away).

In my mind, the 18-25yo hetro male is not lazy, he just does not ask for much. We just want a bar, some bar games, drinking nights and a good social environment. We couldnt give 10 5ths of fuck all about much else...... and that is why we dont represent ourselves further.

ed... sometime i wonder if you are an arts student deep down inside....... Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 14:04

ed... sometime i wonder if you are an arts student deep down inside....... Razz

ugghhhh, i feel so dirty
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Tue, 12 April 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, I'm complaining about paying union fees full stop.

If union fees actually went towards sensible stuff, then I'd not complain at all. Unfortunately the system is biased towards being hijacked by arts "wind power to save the gay whale!" pink haired retards with 10 contact hours and political aspirations (because their gayass degrees qualify them for nothing more than a trainee burger flipper at MacDonalds) and enough intellectual merit to fill out a dole form.

Just like to cram in some more stereotypes.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 08:19]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Wed, 13 April 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the micro-democracy of student unionism is a fairly effective self-levelling playing field. Most of the time, the only people pissed off enough to put effort in and run stuff are those getting the sh!tty end of the stick, or at least those who THINK they are . . . Confused

Since teh hippie/pooftah/lezzo/greenie/lebbo/whatever minorities ARE minorities, it only takes a tiny percentage of the "silent majority" to "get involved" and haul-back some resources for teh white hetero slob/stud.

Want more cheap beer and somewhere to drink it? Step up to the plate next uni elections, and get all your drinkin buddies to vote for you, and their drinkin buddies, and their drinkin buddies . . . .

Well, at least until Mr. Howard takes the choice away from teh kidzz.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Wed, 13 April 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or abolish union fees.

That way, I spend my money drinking beer, eating pies and doing up cars, not sponsoring some anarchist, solar powered, gay pride rally.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Wed, 13 April 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread has been a rather good read, interesting views/opinions/experiences from everyone.

I probably fell towards the WITZL stereotypical student whilst at Uni (ANU). Apathy reigned supreme during first year as a science student. I couldn't give flying f$%k about whatever the hairy lesbian in the refectory was trying to hand me a pamphlet on.

I think I made good use of my Student Union Fees during my time as an ANU student though.

I used the gym, ate the subsidised food in the refectory, attended events run by the Union, drank cheap beer, made use of the facilities etc etc.

Oh and as for the Womens room, what a f$%ken crock!! Aren't the toilets good enough any more? I sourced the keypad code to the womens room at ANU back in the day (I was at ANU when the Womens room was constructed) and my mate and I let ourselves in. A stench hung in the air even though no feral beasts were present, my mate even helped himself to a cup of tea and some biccies!! He thought they owed it to him Rolling Eyes

There was a huge amount done by the ANU Student Union, for most students it was just a matter of whether or not they chose to make the most of it.

I can see both sides of this argument people are generating, there are valid points for each side. The lesbanians, gheys, obese left handed red headed rat rooters and what ever other minority group you can think of are what gives Student Unionism a bad wrap.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Wed, 13 April 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the two universities i have been involved with (ANU and UAdelaide), both have provided significant services through the union. Sure some were targetted at shutting up the vocal minorities, but a lot were targetted at your average Joe/Jill Bloggs student.

My GF sees your point of view though GT, as a med student at UAdelaide, EXCEPT that through the union she gets subsidised vaccs, insurance, and other things which she needs for her prac stuff.
Personally the clubs which UAdelaide and ANU runs/ran are quite substantial, including the FSAE club (UA) and also provides subsidies on many of the things i use, i.e. coffee, beer, CS stuff etc.

I support the student union entirely and oppose VSU.

*Disclaimer* Yes, im a mac user, and may one day be a tree hugger. But only if i hit a tree in the rally car, and end up wrapped around it Laughing
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 25 April 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at Latrobe uni melb, which is my only experience of uni life....

students are at uni to be bled dry...

1.) photocopying is 11c per page ...... its 7c at officeworks!!!!
2.) parking tickets are regularly handed out - why do we have to pay for parking??? its 20km out of the city!!
3.) we have to pay for photocopied lecture notes (not all classes)
4.) I had to pay $2 to rent protective glasses in a lab class
5.) excessive library overdue book fees (revenue)
5.) there is no cheap food on campus whatsoever..
6.) there is no 2nd hand book shop

now I dont see the union really having any impact financially for me - BUT I WOULD NOT BAN IT

when the student union IS(not if) shut down will I get the extra cash? THIS iS THE CRUX - how deluded do u think I am - I WILL NOT SEE THE MONEY!!!!GUARANTEED...

the Howard is so concerned that union is ripping me off - ha what a joke - when the union is gone who will be ripping me off next? and will he still be concerned??? IT IS ENTIRELY POLITICAL - HOWARD DOES NOT CARE ABOUT STUDENTS
this society is going down the toilet - bigtime...the level of interest about how this country is run is almost zero amoungst the general population......

clubs at latrobe : labour - approx 8 members
liberal - 0
greens - 2
socalist alternative - ~12
ROLE PLAYING CLUB - 40+

out of 20,000 students 20 are concerned enough to join a politial club (1 in 1000) - theyre so LEFT wing, NOT!!

I have no faith in this society....

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2005 06:07]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: All you uni students better lube up and prepare to be penetrated Mon, 25 April 2005 06:12 Go to previous message
chrisss wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 16:01

at Latrobe uni melb, which is my only experience of uni life....

students are at uni to be bled dry...

1.) photocopying is 11c per page ...... its 7c at officeworks!!!!
2.) parking tickets are regularly handed out - why do we have to pay for parking??? its 20km out of the city!!
3.) we have to pay for photocopied lecture notes (not all classes)
4.) I had to pay $2 to rent protective glasses in a lab class
5.) excessive library overdue book fees (revenue)
5.) there is no cheap food on campus whatsoever..
6.) there is no 2nd hand book shop

1. Yeah that sucks. But there is free printing in the biochem student computer lab on physical sciences 4 (?).
2. Just buy a parking permit, or park at carpark 2a.
3. Really? I never paid for any of it.
4. Never had that happen to me either, but if you get clear sunnies or something, they are allowed to be worn too.
5. Never borrowed a book from the lib.
6. Hehe thats where you bring your own food Razz
7. You can get them from the book shop early in the year. Just gotta get in bloody early.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Seen many coppers?
Next Topic:Damn, i like this car!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:32:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091829299926758 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.