Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
icon5.gif  clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 07:31 Go to next message
Hey guys, this is my problem;
When i take off from a standing start and turn i can hear a clunking noise, once or twice usually, usually only when i turn, or change gears while still turning i hear it. So what could it possibly be? It didnt do it when i first put the diff in the car, this is 2 weeks later... so here's the details;
Its an aus spec sprinter, has a t50, and the second half of the tailshaft is from a t-18, the diff is from a t-18, late model (with sway bar mounts). The diff centre is a brand new Cusco rs 2-way lsd. the gearset is from the t-18. 3.9, axles are stock from the t-18, my friend (the mechanic that put it together for me) said the axles fitted no probs. The diff got new brake shoes, cylinders and drums machined at the time of the centre going in. So whats going on, i heard the diff's were noisy, but this doesent sound right, it didnt make this noise for the first 2 weeks the lsd was in. And the diff hasn't been given a very hard time yet, i.e a few spirited corners, but no track day.

Any idea's.. im thinking axles but my friend said they fit properly and it shouldn't be them, anyone else with the same setup care to comment on what their diff sounds like. Or what this clunking sound actually is?

Regards, Chris.

edit: forgot to add... obviously the diff was filled with fully synthetic LSD oil b4 use.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2005 07:55]

Send a private message to this user    
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds to me like it is diff slop...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 ways are often referred to clunkers as they tend to clunk alot at low speeds and when reversing.

chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 19:31

Sounds to me like it is diff slop...

and how exactly would i get rid of this "diff slop"

it does lock at low speeds and when reversing, when u turn a little.. but thats fine by me, but this clunking didnt exist when the diff first went in. But id be more than happy for it to be normal, just doesent sound right to me.. yet anyway....
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will clunk its a tight lsd
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: clunk in diff Mon, 25 April 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool, anyone else care to comment on the sounds their cusco 2-ways make?

Note the diff still does its job properly thats for sure Evil or Very Mad
loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: clunk in diff Sun, 26 June 2005 09:47 Go to previous message
Battle has been weiged!!!

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=72383&rid=7715&S=f22082b33de2c2ba7995c0e db5ec7fd5&pl_view=&start=0#msg_684206
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:r33 GTS-t calipers with Z32 rotors
Next Topic:Balancing Flywheels (warning: massive pics)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 08:10:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052831172943115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.