Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Whats a hotdog?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:02 Go to next message
Hey
I did a search and didn't really find much but a few pics etc. and was just wondering what the difference between a hot dog and a normal muffler is and someone referred to them as old technology so are there better hot dogs now lol?
Thanks
Troy
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... they're like a tube with a surround that kinda looks like a hotdog, and the outer part acts as a chamber, and there are little directional holes on the inner pipe. One way will help silent the exhaust, the other will just keep it loud but sounding different. I think anyway, I hate them Smile
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dude! Why do you hate them? lol.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sound like crap Smile Just get a proper muffler (not a cannon, not a hotdog)

But it's personal choice I guess
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cept I want one, that will sound quiet but not restrict flow? ANy ideas lol!
Thanks
Troy
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a trade-off; If you want a higher flow rate, more noise is made, and vice versa. You can counter the noise with a resonator however...
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. So youd recommend a hot dog up front and then a resonator at the back Confused I've only started learning bout exhausts today! Embarassed
Thanks
Troy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most quality mufflers will not restrict flow, lukey mufflers are good imho. They are straight through and have a fair bit of noise killing packed into them.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/celixx/pipe/gtepipe07.jpg

Single Lukey + Redback Cat = nice on a 1G-GTE Razz
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet! I take it Redback is a brand Confused ANd lukey is hotdog? Sweet! Thanks guys. So what doyou reckon 2 hotdogs would be like? Would it be able to get RWC?
THanks
Troy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img241.echo.cx/img241/1958/Image045.jpg

from left to right and what thay cost me..

lukey 3inch hotdog $70, lukey race series stainless 3inch strait thru muffer $100, 3inch cat $170
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
So whats the purpose of the Race Series straight through as apposed to just having another Hot dog? And what does the cat do? ANd does that restrict flow alot? Have a good one!
Thanks
Troy
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boofis wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 17:26

Sweet! I take it Redback is a brand Confused ANd lukey is hotdog? Sweet! Thanks guys. So what doyou reckon 2 hotdogs would be like? Would it be able to get RWC?
THanks
Troy

Razz

redback cat = a cat with a red back
lukey = his brother that puts the cat on the exhaust (heated by the running 1g-gte) and burns its back, hence creating the redback cat!!!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img205.echo.cx/img205/4781/image0486ac.jpg

another view of the hotdog
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boofis wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 17:46

Hey
So whats the purpose of the Race Series straight through as apposed to just having another Hot dog? And what does the cat do? ANd does that restrict flow alot? Have a good one!
Thanks
Troy

race series mufflers are just fully welded rather then pressed seams (lasts longer) and basicly the bigger it is the quiter it is / the more restrictive it is the quiter it is.

as it is on a XR6 au falcon thats not enough, sounds GREAT but a little loud so ill be fitting another race muffler.

as for the cat being restrictive ill let you know when it go's on, another 2 weeks till the headers arrive Sad
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou! Enjoy the wait lol! Laughing Thanks for your help man.
Thanks
Troy
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a "hotdog" is a term often-mistakenly used when describing a resonator. a resonator is an exhaust component, used as the first muffler in an exhaust system. it takes that initial "bark" out of an engine's exhaust note, for the note to then be dampened further by a real muffler later down the exhaust path. if you run just resonators on your exhaust, it sounds like crap. depending on muffler, an engine without a resonator usually sounds crap too. on a loud engine, some say there is benefit in running two resonators

you can see a black resonator in Allan's pic above

"hotdog" is actually a brand name of mufflers, which are red. i don't think many car enthustiasts who use the term have ever seen a REAL hotdog muffler
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah thankyou for clarifying that! Honestly dude I couldn't care less what my car sounds like I just want it to perform, so if they let the exhaust flow more I'm up for it, as long as it passes RWC with them. Thanks for your help man!
Thanks
Troy
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Whats a hotdog? Mon, 25 April 2005 11:44 Go to previous message
I've just replaced my rear muffler after the last one rotted out.

I've just put a redback on as well. I ran the car without rear muffler for a couple of days while I was waiting for the new one. Interesting thing was the car had a heap more poke and sounded like a race car without the rear (its an AE82 twin cam).

The muffler I chose was the same size (16 in) and less restrictive. Less restrictive means less inner baffles (2 rather than 3).

The muffler does what it says - muffles. Basically exhaust enters through intake and is diffused by the inner pipe which has perforations all over it. It is also filled with fibre which I assume aids with the muffling.

Its quite simple once you've had a look inside one.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:22R Engine mods
Next Topic:wolf 3d iginition pulse problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 01:13:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065178871154785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.