Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What power air compressor for home spray job?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Doylie
Regular

May 2004
What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 06:56 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I've been looking into doing my own spray job in the near future, and i'm wondering what size/power air compressor would be necessary? Obviously the bigger the better, but does anyone have any experience with what readily available options give the best result?

Cheers,
Mark.
  Send a private message to this user    
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12 to 15 cfm should do the trick
use 2pac paint no harder than acrilic but ten times the finish
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it illegal to home spray 2pac?
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not if you dont tell anyone your doing it Laughing
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acrylic can come up just as good, you need to use a 2 pac iso clear over the top..but most of the metallics are acrylic based..a 2 pac clear will give you the same "shiny off the gun" finnish..
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2pac clear over acrilic is not a good idea as i the sun the heat and cool at different rates and the paint ends up with crows feet after a while
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just kinda don't breathe while spraying the 2 pac - the isocyanates in it will you know, kinda shorten your life span.

i did my ta22 in acrylic - came up great!]

and yeah - 10cfm plus will be fine.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 07:09]

Doylie
Regular

May 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great, thanks guys! Gotta look around for a decently priced air comp now!
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iso Free paints are available, which reduce environmental and health problems.

PPG Cobra, is a clear over base system, which is effectively an acrylic, with a 2Pac clear.

2HP, 14CFM compressor is what you need, any lower, and the damn compressor will be running non stop!

cheers Chuck.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i sprayed the feral in acrylic (my favourite as it easy to use and fix up the bodgies) Laughing anyways came out great after a buff.

Quote:

14CFM compressor is what you need, any lower, and the damn compressor will be running non stop!

yea, i used a 12cfm 50 liter tank compressor and i had it running 'nearly' non stop.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Thu, 21 April 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bauer-kompressoren.de/pics/produkte/atemluft/stationaere_kompressoren/mv.jpg

My new compressor.Ok so it's for work, but 18.5CFM @ 400bar/5880psi max pressure. Stores 120,000 litres/4310 cf of air.

You may now have compressor envy. Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shit what are you planning on doing with that monster ? inflating the worlds largest baloon ?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mainly scuba cylinders. But we have a number of 70 litre cylinders/6000psi storage (28,000 ltr) thinking about regulating output to say 20psi and foregoing the turbo. Just refill at work.

OR just imaging what you could do with that much NOS. Shocked Razz
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I now officially have compressor envy..

I bought a 2.5hp one from uber cheap, its pretty wimpy, next time i'd get a bigger one.. it was ~$160ish the cheapo 2hp ones must suck pretty hard...
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive only got a 2.5hp 40L unit just a cheapo unit and for home jobs ive never had problems. never had to do major spraying jobs with it though. but great for air tools etc.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same as mine.. i find it runs alot though..

the guy at bunnings was raving too me about how important it was to kinda 'run them in' eg, let them run against no pressure for a minute or two, then let the tank get right up to pressure, and sit for a while, then repeat..
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uber cheap hav a 2hp unit for $89 atm.

recomend purchase?
spec are:
-2hp, 1500w direct drive (thank god Razz)
-7.27 cfm (abit low)
-21L tank

would it be enough for home job spray, ie skirts, various metal bits, bumpers, car primer, etc.

or should i not be tight and get a 3hp or something?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For that price, buy a pair and chain them together.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too small to run a die grinder or anything.. tank is a bit small.. i'm thinking about getting an old gas tank to run as extra storage..
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats why you chain them together. Works grouse.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever you do don't forget to get a water trap for it.

Ask Ed Laughing
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will linking them in paralell together actaully work???

coz i guess if it does.. damn cheap 14cfm kit.

guessing hav to change all the hoses to cope with double the pressure...

but interesting theory...

water trap???
wtf is that?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 12:58]

bored
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, it will work. It won't double the pressure, but it will double the flow rate, and the tank capacity. (Assuming you only connect two... no reason you couldn't use even more in parallel).
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah

yeah, no reason to not by.. say.. 6

except for the looks you will get, the area it will take up, and the noise it would generate Razz
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a little uber cheap model,fairly useless.thing is,once you have a compressor you discover how useful they are and start to add on to your air tool collection etc.It takes very little time to realise that you need the best/biggest one that you can run on home power.[17cfm] still this size runs down real quick when using a die grinder etc.eg.you can buy a sand blaster for $20,but if I have sand blasting to do I run my 17 cfm and the neighbours 17 cfm through a t piece and its still necessary to have 2 things on the go so you have something to do while they fill up with air.You would get about three minutes blasting from the two and then wait.
I advise adopting the same recipe for all your tool requirements,buy what you need,dont lend them to unreliable people [all people that dont have their own tools fall into this category] and you will have them forever! Laughing
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3HP will do, it doesnt matter if you have 25litre tank or 50 since it will be running constantly anyway, but 3hp is powerful enough to keep the pressure up, so you dont have to stop letting the pressure build up again, but it will take a long time to paint a car with thoose small compressors, it makes it easier tho if ur not a pro, nothing is worse than having a big azz compressor and applying too much paint and watch is slide down the sides of the car...

using acryl base paint and 2pac clear coat is no problem, thats exactly what most of the pro car painting places do,and it has some advantages, it covers better with a thinner coat, and the paint is cheaper, it also makes it a lot easier to apply since you dont need a thick layer to cover up everything, wich again reduces the risk of having to watch the paint starts sliding down ur car when u think ur done...

On the other hand i did paint my ta22 for a few days ago, with 2pac all the way.. it took 3,5litre of basepaint and 2 litres of clearcoat, but the result was some of the best i ever seen,all the paint got pretty expensive, but with the final result im happy i went this way.

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BEWARE-ESSAY APPROACHING........

Yeah-as someone mentioned before in the thread (and I was also told many moons ago) that a 12-14 CFM (Cubic Foot per Minute) compressor was the go. A min flow ability of 12-14 CFM seems to be the accepted rate required to keep most air tools/spray guns running contiuously without needing the air compressor running 100% of the time. Once you have the comressor running 100% of the time it means that the comressor unit itself cannot supply enough air at the required pressure to run the tool/gun at the pressure for which it is designed.

Examples-

1. If you are running a die grinder almost constantly whilst doing a port job, or a spray gun for a re-spray, and the compressor unit is turning on only occasionally for just a short time, it means this:

The compressor you are using is of a good size and only has to run for a short time every few minutes to replenish the compressed air (potential energy) that you have used up to drive the tool/spray gun.

2. If you are running a die grinder almost constantly whilst doing a port job, or a spray gun for a re-spray, and the compressor unit is turning on shortly after you start and stays on the whole time you are using the tool-whilst the speed of the tool/paint delivery rate and spray pattern of the gun slowly decreases/degrades, it means this:

The air flowrate at the required (tool) pressure of the compressor you are using is too low.

However, The shaft speed , (ie. diegrinder-airdrill-airgrinder-rattlegun etc RPM), or the flowrate(paint gun, blovac, air bower etc), of the tool you are using will not drop to zero if the driving air compressor is running 100% of the time. (providing of course the compressor is capable of flowing a least a bit of air-ie a fish tank compressor is no good-derr Smile Smile Smile Smile )

However, as the (small and shitty Chinese/Gook Machinery Company-GMC) compressor, when running flat-out (100% of the time), is only capable of delivering say 2/3 the volume of air at the required pressure, or say the required volume at only 2/3 pressure, needed by the tool, then if the tool is run 100% of the time, and the compressor is on 100% of the time, then the tool speed/flow will fall to probably only 2/3 of what it would have been running with a compressor either of required minimum or larger size.

Having said all this-of course there are realistic ways around having to buy a $$$ 12+ CFM compressor.

1. Buy two (90-110 bucks each) 6-6.5 CFM GMC ones and hook them up in parallell (pressure is the same-but flow is 2X) - that will give you 12-13 CFM for 1/4-1/5 the price of a Clisby and 1/10th the $$ for an Atlas Copco brand one, etc.

2. Learn to live with a smaller CFM compressor unit by-
2A Fitting a supplementary reservoir (old LPG tanks are good)
so that once it has filled the bigger reservoir it
takes longer for it to empty and trigger the comp again.
(you are also waiting longer for it to fill back up though)

2B Being careful with your spray nozzles when painting so that
when you are blowing on the coat, you are blowing on with a
pretty small paint orifice/nozzle. This means you are not
using big flow rates, but rather small rates at the normal
pressure so the small compressor can keep up. It does mean
that you take longer to spray a given area, but that you
get proper atomisation and a smooth finish. (albeit with
more coats)

Case in point for patience, common sense and being stingy-
I have a story on a 290HP L28 240Z Datsun in an old Street machine with an AWESOME midnight blue paintjob that was applied using a tiny Beaver spray gun............

It took him longer than with a big 14 CFM compressor, but as a pretty inexperienced painter, had he used a (high flowing) professional spray gun he would have ended up with runs galore.

Anyway dude-thats my essay on the subject (prettymuch everything I know the subject really).

In closing though, as for acryllic and 2-pak, my advice (generally taken from a few sprayer friends I have) is Acryllic all the way.

Reasons-
1. 2Pak has cyanide compounds (as mentioned before-isocyanates(sp?))VERY VERY BAD when airbourne, and looks the best the day it's done-awesome for show cars that are garaged all the time-but degrades over time.

2. Acryllic is easier to spray on, is not a 2-part system, requires a buff once done to shine it right up, but once you get the clearcoat (also accryllic will do there) and buff it up only a pro can really tell-and the more you polish the acryllic the shinier it gets-even 10 years later.

Sorry for the essay-but thats it from me-I know nothing else about paint!

Sean

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Water trap and regulator usually come as a paired unit. Regulator allows you to reduce you pressure to your tool thus avoiding excess pressure and paint flow at the gun. This stops runs.

Water trap captures water in the air. As air is compressed it heats up and moisture is forced out of the air. This is why you need to drain the tank (thats what the valve underneath is for) regularly. If running for painting on a warm day this could mean every 5 min conceivably.

On the compressor pictured above, there is an inlet water separator/filter, cooling coils between stages. There are 3 cylinders each pushing progressively higher pressures. These tubes allow the moisture to condense and drain away. Then the final separator where every 15mins the lines are blow out with 400bar through a cyclonic separator. Mounted on the left side (looking at the pic) there is a 20lt drum to collect this. We usually drain once a week of about 10lt. And thats operating it in a temp and humidity controlled room (18deg ambient 20% humidity)

Imagine whats going through your compressor cylinders. Not to mention whats coming out through the paint
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Fri, 22 April 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 20:50

For that price, buy a pair and chain them together.

that is what i did to paint my hilux click on my link to see how it came out. (2pac not buffed)
im extreamly happy Smile
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Sat, 23 April 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone tried any of the HVLP guns? Really interested in them but I've never tried one. And if you can afford 2pac and afford to be able to rub bugs out on such expensive paint go for it. Acrylic all the way though on old cars! It looks so tough lol!
Thanks
Troy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Sun, 24 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a supercheap $160 unit and it worked fine for just the bonnet/ roof plus the fade i wouldn;t use it for air tools or anything tho .

Also i had to buy a water trap as they aren't included.
le_angel
Newcomer

April 2005

Re: What power air compressor for home spray job? Tue, 26 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous message
you NEED an inline filter to do it

also make sure you drain the comps cylinder before you start
and take out any in line oilers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine BBQ'ed
Next Topic:7M GTE, 1JZ GTE into Cressida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:05:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079128742218018 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar