Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Re-Use piston rings?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 09:39 Go to next message
To cut a long story short, my engine needs to be pulled apart after only doing around 91km's.

The rings to be replaced regardless right?
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure that you have to.
but why wouldnt you.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well from what i've been told, as long as the ring gaps are still in order, and i get the cylinder re-honed they should be good to go.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but why oh why?
you are going to this much trouble, rings arent that expensive.
with 91000 done, its not like they are brand new
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no, this is a brand new rebuilt engine...

with only 91km's on the clock, not 91000.... ninety-one.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So why are we pulling apart?

If not touching bottom end or removing from bores I'd probably tell you to keep them but if it was me I'd change them if pulling the bottom out regardless.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Tue, 26 April 2005 20:25

If not touching bottom end or removing from bores I'd probably tell you to keep them but if it was me I'd change them if pulling the bottom out regardless.

What we thought was a spun bearing, and the metal has gone thru the entire block. So we need to pull it down clean it all up and start again.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yea, whats happened?

i had to re-use a set of rings in my mates 4agte in a quick rebuild. honed the block and they bedded in great. these rings had done quite a lot of k's.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
long story cut short
91km's into run-in, came home and went to hunt down an oil leak i had. Pulled the sump off only to find metal in the sump.

http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Repair/Engine/Rebuild/metalinsump.jpg

A whole heap of buck passing has occured between the engine builder and myself. As to whos to blame. I'm past the point of caring and getting the thing rebuilt at whoever's expense (yet to be decided). A whole list of reasons of why its happaned.

The mystery is, that none of my bearings have spun, but all show signs of lack of oil pressure. But still there is metal in the sump that has come from somewhere. And has gone thru the whole system, as evident by the now stuffed oil pump and the oil filter catching most of the debris.

All fingers (personally)pointing is the sump i purchased, and failing to clean it out properly, as it was a sump off an engine with a spun bearing. So it appears the ball is in my court.

Now i don't wanna soudn stingy, but the rebuilder says i can re-use the rings fine after the bores are re-honed. I'm after a 2nd opinion before i go there though. Since the whoel thing is being torn down, thats a whole new gasket/seal set, new oil pump, etc...

Personally i'd like to replace the rings, but if there isn't a need to, then i don't see the point.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if some that metal has made it's way up onto the bores then you may have damaged/scored the bores and piston lands.

i'd wait til the engine is apart (you'll need to strip and dip it to ensure all the crap is gone from the oil galleries) before deciding what to do with the bores/pistons/rings.

hopefully the filter let enough oil thru so you don't have wear on cranks surfaces, gudgeon pins, cam bearings and other wearing surfaces.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errrr the oil filter should of got it, worst case your oil pump should be shaged, that could of caused low oil pressure and your barings to suffer, have you plasti gauged the crank?
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 26 April 2005 22:34

errrr the oil filter should of got it, worst case your oil pump should be shaged, that could of caused low oil pressure and your barings to suffer, have you plasti gauged the crank?

visually there is no major damage to the crank/rods and should linish out. I don't have the engine at the moment the rebuilder has it and is tearing it down as we speak.

Well i had 2 options, either clean up the bearings/crank/rods and stick it all back togther, or pull the whole lot down. I went with the latter. Cause it might save me rebuilding it a 3rd time int he long run.

So as to my rings question?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cost of rings is fuck all
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... maybe I can be off assistance.
I have a brand new set of rings that I don't want with the following specs:
Brand: Perfect Circle
Bore: 86.5mm
Top ring: 1.5mm
2nd ring: 1.5mm
Oil Ring: 3mm

I also have a spare oil pump... the spare oil pump has done ~47,000 JDM km's.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Tue, 26 April 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks toobs, but i've already purchased a new pump. And my pistons are 87mm bore.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace the rings. Get him to split the cost, note his cost.

Ok so the sump should have been clean but as the builder he should have done this regardless. FWIW Pm me his name so I know never to use him. Not that I use anyoneelse anyway.

I'd look hard at the bearings to as they are sloping around in the unfiltered oil.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wasn't the engine builders fault at all. The only thing he rebuilt was the bottom end and the head. I bolted on everything else (sump included).
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this feeling well!!!

My first rebuilt engine did 9kms and died. Well it didnt die it just lost oil pressure. So i threw it all out got a new motor and started over.

In my opinion.

Get a virgin block if you can. And use the 86.5mm pistons.
Make sure you have a new oil pump aboove all else.
While its apart get the new rings for sure.

If you have the money buy forged pistons in 86.5mm, h beam rods and Metal head gasket. Toughen it all up!!
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perhaps you would understand if i told you this was a worked engine.

-arias 87mm pistons
-shotpeened rods
-fully balanced
-kings bearings
-ported head
-arp studs everywhere
-cometic 1mm mhg
-new everything (oil pump, water pump, seals, gaskets)

so im not just gonna 'chuck it away' that would be stupid money wasting process.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure its not your cam journals that have started to be damaged?
Personally I would check out the cams before pulling the head right off... if the cam journals are totalled you might as well go find a new head and start again.
Obviously if this was the case you could re-use your pistons etc.

Also why did you go for 87mm pistons?
I would have bought 86mm forgies for mine if they were more commonly available... I figure such a small increase is not going to make any real power difference.
I would rather have the ability to go a few oversizes if one day the bore is damaged and needs to be bored out again.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Re-Use piston rings? Wed, 27 April 2005 20:42 Go to previous message
I didn't even bother taking the cams out. Thats for the rebuilder to do.

And as to why i chose the 87mm pistons. 86mm pistons on a 14year old block probably wouldn't be a good idea. and 86.5mm pistons were another $400 ontop of the price of the 87mm pistons. So i just went the 87mm pistons.

Sure i won't be able to reuse the black later if it comes down to that, but i don't intend to keep this engine forever.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GZE problem
Next Topic:2ac question !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 15:04:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007166862487793 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.