Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
45aken
Regular

February 2004
CA18DET+AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 14:13 Go to next message
ok, after completly dis-owning the sprinter for about 1/2 a year, im finally ready to start getting a parts pool ready for the ca18det conversion for my ae86. i know a few people on here can help me out, and these people have been very helpful in the past.
im going to use this thread for help when i need it, so i dont create useless threads, and others can get info for this conversion.

i know im asking a big favour by saying this, and it probably wont happen, but can we please limit this thread to USEFUL replies (i dont want it to end up in another sr20 vs ca18 vs 4agte, why go nissan etc etc etc battle of opionions thread.)

i know most of what i need to get, but not exactly what type/size etc. im trying to make a list up of what i need so when i have some time i can go and source these parts. so im going to start off first with one simple question:

1] what radiator would be suitable for this conversion? (gtmick??)

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silvia or 180sx ca radiator
r32 skyline radiators, which are a common upgrade for silvias/180sx's dont fit as they are too tall
gtmick
Regular

September 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon simon would be the best bet for that answer? the reason for this is my car does get a bit hot under the collar on 30 plus days,and my car is more of a fun little street hack! he drifts his car which would put him in the know a little more than myself! best do things spot on in the first place cause its saves frustration and $$ later down the track. anthony kellam also seem to know about this conversion and has prefab mounts. i suggest you get the motor and box sitting in first before anything else is done. ive got more diff woes than anything else. this you will have to address as well cause the old t series aint up to the task ! im sick and tired of replacing centres and axles.
regards mick!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtmick

how much power u putting out?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: CA18DET+AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used a Sr20det Radiator, they are twin core and better then the CA one.. also will fit too.

you will need the following

Custom engine mounts
custom gbox mounts
custom Tailshaft
suitable fuel system
motor + box + management system

then its a matter of making it fit.. its really quite easy to wire into the ae86 loom
gtmick
Regular

September 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Thu, 28 April 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hasn't been on a dyno yet, but it has a t28,3 inch mandrel system, stock computer atm and injectors. im running 10 psi which im told is the limit with the stock management.
My goal is about 180-200 rwkw which im told is achivable with computer,bigger injectors and 18 psi???????. but i suppose 120-130 maybe a wild guess atm.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
icon2.gif  Re: CA18DET+AE86 Thu, 28 April 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking sr20/ca18 is a good idea, save a bit of $$$ with the ca anyways (halfcut)
im getting the mounts from anthony, but i didn't know that i needed custom gearbox mounts (unless they are supplied by him also).
simon, what fuel system are you running? if i remember you are running a trd lsd right? have you broken any drivetrain parts?

what price am i looking at for the custom tail shaft?

thanks
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Thu, 28 April 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he provides the gbox mount too

vl turbo pump works

tailshaft is 200+
ninja_86
Regular

January 2005
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Thu, 28 April 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 02:06

i used a Sr20det Radiator, they are twin core and better then the CA one.. also will fit too.

ive tried dummy fitting a ca radiator im my car, i couldnt get it to fit height wise....did you mount it at a bit of a foward angle? thats the only way i could get it to fit, but mine is an auto radiator....any one know if the manual rad is different, wouldnt have tought the overall size would be different just thought it would have the extra trans cooler in it...........anyone?
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Thu, 28 April 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good thread dood. I'm in the middle of getting my shit together to do this conv. too, although I'm turboing a de cos I got 1 for free in good nick and I think the high comp/low psi sounds more like my cup of tea.I picked up a det ex manifold,clutch/presure plate and a fly wheel off nissansilvia.com for $40 the lot, so thats proven to be a good source of info and cheap parts.I also intend to use the gearbox out of a gazelle as the dato 1200 boys use this box when fitting ca's and requires little or no tunnel mods(the shortest fs5 box) so it should be good for the sprinter.Its the same basic box behind the L24 in the r30 skyline and has proven to be prety strong, exept the gazelle one has the ca bell housing.Anthony Kellam belives his box mount should work on this box but wasn't 100% sure.I intend to use his mount kit as it sounds like he's realy worked his shit out on this from a handeling point of view and has a good reputation for quality workmanship.I had a tail shaft shortend and ballanced for $88 a couple of years back and I think the dood still advertises that same price in the Melb. trading post so shop around for price.
If I here any thing new or find anything I've said is bollocks I'll get back to you's
Joe
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Fri, 29 April 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ninja_86 wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 18:34

Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 02:06

ive tried dummy fitting a ca radiator im my car, i couldnt get it to fit height wise....did you mount it at a bit of a foward angle? thats the only way i could get it to fit, but mine is an auto radiator....any one know if the manual rad is different, wouldnt have tought the overall size would be different just thought it would have the extra trans cooler in it...........anyone?

I got mine to fit with custom brackets. It JUST clears the bonnet. It is possible that the auto rad. is slightly larger in the bottom tank.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Fri, 29 April 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hammers are a useful tool in making thing fit. Smile
or custom mounts, either way it's a fairly easy thing to do.
thanks for the help so far ppl
ninja_86
Regular

January 2005
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Sat, 30 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no matter what i could do to the s13 radiator didnt fit the way i liked it, so i said screw it and got something else.....much happier now
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Sat, 30 April 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So.... what else did you get?
ninja_86
Regular

January 2005
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Sat, 30 April 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st162.....fits like a charm after i made up new bottom mounts, twin core, pretty big and its got twin thermos....
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Sun, 01 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well cuz im getting a half cut, i'll try to fit the ca radiator first, then if i cant do it, i'll look for others that will fit and do the job.

how much are the engine/gearbox mount kits from anthony? has anyone got a contact (email etc) for him?
thanks
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: CA18DET+AE86 Sun, 01 May 2005 11:01 Go to previous message
0415185815...$300+gst
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v with a ze Crank angle senor
Next Topic:How to use a Timing Light???
Goto Forum: