Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » KYB Struts.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
KYB Struts. Wed, 27 April 2005 10:53 Go to next message
Hey all, i was thinking bout buying these KYB stuts, im jus not sure if they are any good. Soooo, i geuss i got 3questions:
Are KYB struts any good? Are they okay to fit King Springs to? About how much are they worth NEW? or how much do they range from...

thanks alot all,
Jason
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KYB Struts. Wed, 27 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are KYB struts any good?
yes.

Are they okay to fit King Springs to?
why not.

About how much are they worth NEW?
normaly not cheap.

go to your local autoparts store, they should be able to give you a price etc.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: KYB Struts. Wed, 27 April 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYB's are excelent, the only thing better are coilovers.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fit KYB's and King Springs to my MX83, the only thing I dislike about the two is the King Springs are too soft (should be progressive damn it) and bounce off the bump stops.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have KYB shocks and king springs and i reckon its a good combo, good luck.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, coool, tahnks everyone. i geuss it is jus about my budget then. i dun think i can afford d KYB but ill deff keep in mind for next time...

do u guys reacons its a waste if i get some munroe's n fit kings to em?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think gettin monroes is definately a waste of time and mula
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa, there are some gross generalisations in here!

1. We have no idea which car this is for, and the damping rates KYB have chosen for car A may be appropriate while the damping rates for car B are totally screwed... so without knowing which car we're talking about how can anyone say they're good or bad?

2. KYB make a range of dampers, and the lower-spec models are pretty shithouse. I know because I bought a set and, well, they're shithouse.

3. "KYB's are excelent, the only thing better are coilovers". WTF? There is nothing magical about coilovers. Depending on brand, model and condition it's quite possible for coilovers to perform considerably worse than a conventional strut setup.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And the only thing better than coilovers are cut springs.
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leaf spring setup is the most advanced form of suspension on the market.
Very Happy just stirring guys!
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"only thing better is coilovers?" what about adjustable shocks?

i'm looking into some of these for the rolla through noltec. price that they've quoted me with the toymods member discount seemed very good. so good that i have to get off my ass and go and buy them along with some otehr susp components hahahha
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a mate with some cefiro adjustable coil-over struts left over from a half cut. I am going to get them and see if I can cut and shut them to fit my ke55! Very Happy

They also have adjust. camber/castor tops. hehe don't like my chances though
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KYB Struts. Thu, 28 April 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive just spent the last 4hrs working out spring rates, insert heights, strut height, ride height, etc for my RA28 and im not done yet Sad

Custom suspension stuff aint easy to get right!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: KYB Struts. Fri, 29 April 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 15:56

W H A T ?

The original Monroe GT-gas were excellent value for money (imho), and they're made to fit justabout everything under the sun. Now they've evolved into "dual-rate valved" dampers, which means compliant ride AND supreme spring/wheel control. A buddy's got 1st-series (single rate valving) GT-Gas all-round his Verada, and they're still going strong 80,000km later. They're controlling Peddars sport-ryder springs - the REALLY low & hard variety. I've driven a couple of cars riding on Ohlins adjustable shocks with the dual (high & low speed) valving, and I can assure you it's so far ahead of regular shock absorbers there's no point comparing them!

I've got Mega-stiff adjustable coilovers on teh schkyline (came with it), and MY GOD it's awful over railway lines and big bumps - On the damper's SOFTEST bump-setting ! ! !

They're absolute magic on a smoothish, twisty road though. Long story short, do you homework on ride-height, spring rates, captive spring & damper length (so your springs don't fall out!) etc etc. - Like MWP is.

Are you talking about the KYB AGX adjustable shockers? They look like excellent value for money, since not too many people do OEM-replacement struts with bump AND rebound adjustment. Especially not at that price. I would've gotten a set for the Celica IF KYB MADE THEM TO SUIT ! ! Mad Mad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: KYB Struts. Fri, 29 April 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
strober wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 17:42

Leaf spring setup is the most advanced form of suspension on the market.

What about a VW swingarm setup ?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: KYB Struts. Fri, 29 April 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 09:33

W H A T ?

The original Monroe GT-gas were excellent value for money (imho),

You obviously haven't worked at Monroe/Walker/Tenneco. I have and they are shit. They are cheap and suitable for family cars and people who don't know about ride and handling.

Luv

Michael B
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KYB Struts. Sat, 30 April 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 15:51

st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 09:33

W H A T ?

The original Monroe GT-gas were excellent value for money (imho),

You obviously haven't worked at Monroe/Walker/Tenneco. I have and they are shit. They are cheap and suitable for family cars and people who don't know about ride and handling.

Luv

Michael B

I agree. When I first bought my car as a student years ago I NEEDED to replace the leaking shocks & did so cheaply with Monroe GTs. Later on I put King Springs in, and while they were fine at first, the stiffer spring rate quickly wore them out. I love the balance of the king springs, they're simply way underdamped. Can't wait to install the externally adjustable GABs I have sitting here when I convert the struts to colovers, and install something else suitable in the rear.

Save money overall and do it right the first time.

bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: KYB Struts. Sat, 30 April 2005 21:48 Go to previous message
I just replaced my springs and struts in my AE82.

Progressive Springs - Kings, heavy duty, lowered 30mm.

Boge Struts.

I'm very happy with the result. I used Wholesale Suspension Warehouse at Penrith who had them delivered to Bathurst the next day for $15. Excellent service too - they knew exactly what I wanted and had all the info without any stuffing around.

Having said that, I showed the old OEM struts (Monroes) to my mechanic and he said there's nothing wrong with them. Not bad after 240,000 km and 17 years.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:St162 electrical fault?
Next Topic:15 year rule cut off official date - for real now
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:08:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061688423156738 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.