Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » original 4AGE RWD Question?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 13:29 Go to next message
I came across a RWD 4AGE and 5 speed at a wreckers - can anyone tell my what type of toyota it might have come from? It has a silver grey rocker cover with blue lettering on it, and has a dizzy. What stock power would it have been built with, and what's it worth with the 5 speed hanging of the back?
  Send a private message to this user    
katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm.. it could have come from loads of cars.. especially with some of the Hybrid types coming out now..
Most likely a corolla, celica.. something of that order..
though ive heard about the SA18/20DET-T engines being dropped into 86 Corollas/Sprinters..

So like i mentioned.. could be anything.. but the rule with toyotas.. for the most.. is that you can probably dump it in another model..
you can fit celica shifts into Corollas, i just dont remember what condition it was under.. i think its same year..

But you should be able to drop a 4AGE into any toyota.. coupes and sedans will feel its effect the most.. small cars.. nothing big.. those ones already pack enough that putting a 4AGE in would be a waste of money. though my guess is that it came from a Corolla or a Sprinter..

Just what i remember anyhow.
Hope that helps some..

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more interested in working out the approximate age and power of the motor. Also interested to know if anyone has ever used either a 2TGEU or 3TGTE factory computer and sensors to run one?
katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine power should be standard..
as for the year.. thats one that you would have to find out.. it should be on it somewhere.. there are usually serials or the like on parts.. just gotta find out what year they were..
most are still fairly new.. you wouldn't be doing bad with a 4AGE either... Smile
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, but which standard power rating - we all know there are about 20 different types of 4A's, all with different features and power outputs! This certainly isn't a newer style engine, besides they haven't used RWD 4A's for a long time in Japan.
katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Mon, 16 December 2002 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Point taken.. ill see if ia can find out.. i dont have them imbedded in my head sadly.

and the 4AGEs are still used in japan.. but there are a lot of the hybrids i mentioned .. the SA20DET-T engines being dropped in..
not as nice sounding as the origional.. unless your partial to the nice hiss of the turbos...
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Tue, 17 December 2002 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this would be out of a japanese ae86. I can't think of anything else which came with a rwd 4age. i think one model of celica may have come with one of these, but i think that was in the USA.

being a bluetop this would (most likely) be a smallport 16v TVIS version, turning out (approximately) 86-88kw at 6600rpm, redline around 7700rpm. trying to run one of these on a t series ecu would be futile. don't bother. as far as age goes, this would be from the mid 80s. pull the timing cover off and there should be a little stamped roundrel date thingo...

would be ideal in any rwd 'rolla. celicas/supras are a bit heavy for an engine like this, but it was literally made for the sprinter.

any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

katsuchiyo

[Updated on: Tue, 17 December 2002 00:53]

katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Tue, 17 December 2002 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
froodogs wrote on Tue, 17 December 2002 08:47

this would be out of a japanese ae86. I can't think of anything else which came with a rwd 4age. i think one model of celica may have come with one of these, but i think that was in the USA.

being a bluetop this would (most likely) be a smallport 16v TVIS version, turning out (approximately) 86-88kw at 6600rpm, redline around 7700rpm. trying to run one of these on a t series ecu would be futile. don't bother. as far as age goes, this would be from the mid 80s. pull the timing cover off and there should be a little stamped roundrel date thingo...

would be ideal in any rwd 'rolla. celicas/supras are a bit heavy for an engine like this, but it was literally made for the sprinter.

any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

katsuchiyo

why is my name there?? did i miss something? LOL
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Tue, 17 December 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
am i missing something? what is katsuchiyo talking about?

as froodogs said its a from a ae86 sprinter whith the specs he provided.

as for costs. well depends....did it come with ecu and loom aswell?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Tue, 17 December 2002 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Froodogs is pretty much on the money, the only thing Ill add is that they also came in rwd format in a few very rare corona's as well
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Wed, 18 December 2002 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know shedloads about the 4ag... but i have a couple of questions....

Arent the import sprinter 4ag's 96kW TVIS? is that bigport or small port?
I thought the big port was the TVIS and the small port was the non-TVIS 100kW?

Just thought i'd ask, just for knowledge's sake!
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Wed, 18 December 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah witzl thats right, they are bigport, not sure about what is going on above Rolling Eyes
there were a few tvis small ports that came out I belive but I thought they were in the rollas

can you guys explain?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 December 2002 08:07]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Wed, 18 December 2002 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget the AA63 Celica, buggered if there would be many of those!

http://www.endless.ne.jp/~rayjack/car_bike/aa63/aa 63.htm
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Wed, 18 December 2002 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The jap AE86 with 4AGE is claimed as 96Kw, the AE86 only came with the bigport from the factory, the extra HP is rumored to be from different mapping, having compared my aus spec fwd and Mos's rwd jap computers there are differences but on the dyno were almost the same so I dont know where they get the extra KW's from ( and that was before I ran an O2 sensor so I was down a bit of the mark in response)
osiris
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Fri, 20 December 2002 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clintgodde wrote on Tue, 17 December 2002 00:29

I came across a RWD 4AGE and 5 speed at a wreckers - can anyone tell my what type of toyota it might have come from? It has a silver grey rocker cover with blue lettering on it, and has a dizzy. What stock power would it have been built with, and what's it worth with the 5 speed hanging of the back?

*fumes*
which wrecker/ Surprised

im in perth, i have been looking for a rwd 4age for my ae71 and they are like hens teeth.

faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Fri, 20 December 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
extra kw is more likely from better fuel
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Fri, 20 December 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would say that faulksy is right i saying that it is the fuel as we only ran at the time the best of 95 RON when the Japs had and Have 100RON. theres the difference
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: original 4AGE RWD Question? Sat, 21 December 2002 06:48 Go to previous message
Osiris,
Don't bother - it's stuffed! Gave it a compression test and came up as 30, 70, 30, 0 psi on the four cylinders. Despite having sat around without sparkplugs (I've since discovered!), the wrecker still wants $1500 for it! Was also told the compression would come back once run, it was about that point I thought I'd heard enough crap and was too sober to listen to any more - so I left.
There are plenty of RWD 4AGE's floating around but they all need work (no compression), maybe there's an inherent problem with them once they sit around (have found the same problem with the 1G series of engines).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTE Boost guage - location?
Next Topic:AE82 4age master brake cylinder
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 07:50:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062949657440186 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.