Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 15:59 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Well, I finally got it into a driveable state and took it for a thrash. Problem being...it's slow. As in, it can barely level peg a stock auto GZ20 Soarer.

For those that have no idea about the car, it is a 1GGTE in a Celica XX (Mk2 Supra), with a 450mm Hybrid clone cooler, 2.5/3" exhaust and Blitz modified CT12's.

First thing I noticed, was that the boost gauge read around the 0.5 bar mark. This seemed a little low, but was consistent, every pass yielded a solid figure.

Other than that, I didn't notice anything in particular. Was hitting full boost by around the 3500rpm mark.

This was the first time in the better part of 2.5 years the engine has been driven properly, until now, it has only been started, or driven under light load conditions. It did get smoother the more I drove it, but not a great deal faster.

I'm going to try and work out what is going on with the codes as soon as I get a chance to find out what is wrong with that, currently the CEL doesn't function correctly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I'd put it down to boost, had it not been for the modifcations and the fact that given it's current state, I've got at least a 200kg weight advantage over the Soarer.

Cheers,
Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3500? seems late..

probably mega-rich.. anyone following you report plumes of black smoke?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear that you have got it going, but all I can offer is a Very Happy and hope that you get it running better.

Keep us posted.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boost leaks?
wastegate/s stuck open?
timing?
driving with handbrake on? haha Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 06:56

boost leaks?

I couldn't hear anything, and there was rock solid consistency to the amount of boost it made each time.

wastegate/s stuck open?

Could be, but I still would've thought even at 8psi it should annihilate the GZ20.

timing?

Timing has been set to 10 degrees with the terminals bridged.

driving with handbrake on? haha Laughing

Haha...it's not *that* slow.

As for the question about boost, it's making some boost before then, that's around when it makes max. I'm not sure to be honest where it should be, and remember, it does have high-flowed turbos.

As for smoke, it did have smoke coming from it the first couple of runs, and when it's idling it was running uber rich. It did seem to clear up a little after it'd been actually put under load. I'll check with my mate who was there.

Another thing I didn't think of yesterday, it wouldn't idle any lower than around 8-900rpm with the idle screw all the way in, what do you reckon this could be?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Timing has been set to 10 degrees with the terminals bridged.

You mean the timing was locked at 10 degrees throughout the rev range?

This is definitely going to hurt it. Your exhaust temperatures would have been up there.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 28 April 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, I mean the base timing was set to 10 degrees as per factory.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if it was sluggish non advancing timing is definitely a symptom. Have a look if your turbos are glowing Smile

As you say with 8 psi and high flowed turbos it still should romp a GZ20. It is sounding more like timing to me, particularly if it is revving cleanly but slowly.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done on getting it going mate - Project Decade will not live up to its name now !

Don't be too concerned with the idle speed screw on the throttle body, my 1G-GZE does exactly that as well, but I will be cleaning the inside of the ISCV soon and that might make things work a little better.

Does sound like it is running uber rich......

Have you checked for any air leaks?

Is your timing advance working ?

Is every sensor plugged in, working OK, and earthed properly ?
Especially those sensors that do not throw a code at the CEL...

I have a similar problem with my GZE and I suspect the main loom earth under the inlet manifold is playing up ?

Is your cat conv OK and exhaust system not blocked ?

Does the cat get orange/red hot after a short drive in the thing ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 08:06

Well if it was sluggish non advancing timing is definitely a symptom. Have a look if your turbos are glowing Smile

As you say with 8 psi and high flowed turbos it still should romp a GZ20. It is sounding more like timing to me, particularly if it is revving cleanly but slowly.

Yeah, this could be the problem. Although I pulled it into the workshop and let it idle with the bonnet up before I shut it off, and they didn't appear glowing.

ra23celica wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 08:06

Well done on getting it going mate - Project Decade will not live up to its name now !

Don't be too concerned with the idle speed screw on the throttle body, my 1G-GZE does exactly that as well, but I will be cleaning the inside of the ISCV soon and that might make things work a little better.

Does sound like it is running uber rich......

Have you checked for any air leaks?

Is your timing advance working ?

Is every sensor plugged in, working OK, and earthed properly ?
Especially those sensors that do not throw a code at the CEL...

I have a similar problem with my GZE and I suspect the main loom earth under the inlet manifold is playing up ?

Is your cat conv OK and exhaust system not blocked ?

Does the cat get orange/red hot after a short drive in the thing ?

I dunno about that, still got other things to go on it! Smile

My ISCV has been uber cleaned and sealed already, so it works well in idling up the engine, but no love otherwise once it's warm.

I've checked for basic air leaks, the vacuum lines could be the only real source of it, the intercooling piping seems nice and clamped.

All the sensors are definetly plugged in, all the earths as far as I know are connected. I will double check them, especially that one under inlet manifold. I need to get the CEL working too.

How do I check the timing advance is working?

Exhaust is all brand spankers, I'd hope it was okay, didn't check the cat, will get under next time. It sounds f'ing horn though.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt leave a rag in one of the pipes???
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 10:46

didnt leave a rag in one of the pipes???

oooo yeah that would suck Shocked
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
install a 3 inch spacer block on top of the accelerator pedal.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No rags in piping, they were all cleaned out and checked with petrol when brought back from exhaust shop.

Checked a few things. Timing is indeed at 10 degrees when pins shorted. Timing advances properly when revved at idle.

Got the CEL working, constantly flashing so that should be no codes correct?

Funnily enough Karl, I did think of that, I double checked last night that throttle cable indeed opens the throttle fully.

All ECU earth pins are indeed earthed. I'm leaning towards a leak of some sort and possibly attributing some of the rest to the fact the engine has been dormant so long...

Any other suggestions?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd probably go apeshit on the vac lines, see if you can solve it easily like that. I'm assuming the turbos are perfect (they'd better be, in this amount of time you could have hand milled them from a block of steel and a nail file)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The turbos didn't feel like they had any shaft play when I had the piping off. They are much newer than the engine itself, and the engine has less than 80000km if JMS is to believed.

Could the vacuum lines be causing THAT much of an issue? I mean, I'll go nuts on them next time I'm there, but this is really a heap slower than it should be.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probaby not by themselves, no.
but if that's pat of the problem, mixed with over fuelling, mixed with another problem all those small things could be the problem Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is true, suppose it's just a matter of eliminating the possible causes, making sure all of those are nice and tight would be a good start.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main reason I suggest it is I developed a very large split in one of mine, and there was a pretty substantial loss of power. Real slut to find as well Mad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, okay. I replaced them all with new hosing, now I'll just make sure they're all clamped up.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As gold28 just taught me, sensors can degrade over time and give bad/wrong readings to the ECU, that are not out of their limits, but still cause the thing to run rich, and not throw a CEL code.

And yes, continuous flashing does mean no sensor is out of its limits, for those sensors that the CEL reports on.

Given that your vacuum hoses are new and clamped up nicely, I'm starting to think that you have a dicky sensor somewhere, something like the water temp and/or 02, which can cause the rich running.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 12:28

As gold28 just taught me, sensors can degrade over time and give bad/wrong readings to the ECU, that are not out of their limits, but still cause the thing to run rich, and not throw a CEL code.

Given that your vacuum hoses are new and clamped up nicely, I'm starting to think that you have a dicky sensor somewhere, something like the water temp and/or 02, which can cause the rich running.

Could be the sensors, you'd hope not in an engine that's only done 80000km.

The vacuum hoses aren't clamped at all at the moment. The intercooler piping is nice and clamped tight, but all the vacuum lines are just pushed on. This will be the first thing I'll check but it seems really big effects for a small amount of air that could be leaking.

It is running rich, although I wouldn't have thought the O2 sensor in a Toyota engine would be used at WOT at all, which is where the real problem is.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to think the sensors on my 70 000km 1G-GZE are all sweet too, but i think I have poisoned the 02 sensor with a patch of real rich running caused by my effing around with the AFM air bypass screw.

And the wiring near my water temp sensor looks suss, now that I think about it. My 02 sensor was bent in transit when the motor came across to me too....

Anyway....

The path forward is clear Anakin......get those hoses clamped up, and test again....

And its the world's most frustrating situation when you know there is a problem with the engine but the bloody CEL light just keeps on flashing like there is nothing wrong..... Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arrrgh, stupid work. All I want to do atm is try clamping those lines and I'm stuck here! Crying or Very Sad

Thought just occurred to me, JMS happened to sell my AFM and ECU, and they've replaced them, but is there a possibility they've replaced them with the unmatched ones that may cause this?
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrats Nathan on getting it on the road.
Looks like I'll have to take on the 'project decade' title now!
Sounds like it would be worth taking it to the dyno just to see what your AFRs are like.

Regards

Peter
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate - work gives us the money to do the car projects !

Its a chance that this could be the problem - you had better quote me some parts numbers - AFM / ECU / throttle body and I will run them through my EPC and see if they match......
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was thinking about doing that, once I've resolved all the minor possible causes for it being munted, i'll take it somewhere like Hyperdrive around the corner. First thing is those vacuum lines though.

It *did* get smoother as the runs progressed, but there must still be a leak or something, because it's not idling anywhere near as smooth as a Toyota six should.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This work may not if I don't stay the whole month! Went for a job interview yesterday that looked promising.

Will check out the AFM and ECU part numbers next time I pop in there.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck for the new job then too mate !

As well as those two numbers you had better give me every other part number you can find on the thing, given as they often have overlapping periods of time, I can use that to usually lock down an almost exact build date. Something like late or early 88 can make a big difference given that production changes occur in Aug/Sept each year.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the compression like? If it's had a good thrash now it should be giving repressentative compression results, unlike when it has been sitting around without use.

I have to agree with 82mkII, the dyno is by far the best place to figure these things out if you have a good operator with all the right equipment. Sure it costs money but I reckon enjoying your car is worth a little money.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 08:10

3500? seems late..

probably mega-rich.. anyone following you report plumes of black smoke?

my boost in my soarer only seems to START to come on at 3500rpm....

is that a problem?

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2005 09:19]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say so.
The GZ20 he was comparing it too has full boost by 3000rpm.

Check your timing Merudo.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say thay have given you the wrong afm "ahhh a 5m-e one plugs in that will do!!!" get the mixtures checked on a dyno, prolly pulling timing out to stop detionation if it has a knock sensor
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get me those part numbers 'Frank' , the EPC is spinning with no where to go !
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank won't be back till Sunday.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 29 April 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 20:40

id say thay have given you the wrong afm "ahhh a 5m-e one plugs in that will do!!!" get the mixtures checked on a dyno, prolly pulling timing out to stop detionation if it has a knock sensor

was this in refence to me or the original poster?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Sat, 30 April 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Sat, 30 April 2005 00:12

Allan wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 20:40

was this in refence to me or the original poster?

Original.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Sun, 01 May 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dyno is definetly on the cards. Want to try and sort out the simple variables I can rule out before I spend more money.

Going to go out tomorrow and see if I can get some clamps for the vacuum hosing, Supercrap had squat, not even a cap for the ports.

I'm still looking for a picture of my ECU in my archives, but I've confirmed in my EPC that my AFM is the right one.

Compression test will probably be something else I'll do in the near future again. Once again, it's one of those things I'm going to do before I take it to dyno.

Rob raised a good point to me while chatting, there could be an issue with the wastegate actuator on one of the turbos. It has been sitting for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if it has corroded in this time. The only thing that doesn't gel is that it would be weird if a wastegate was stuck open, but it would explain the low boost, the crappy power and the doughy boost response. I'll check it out following the 7M TSRM troubleshooting, and make sure the actuator rods are lubricated and can move freely.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This car is doing my f'ing head in. It's getting closer to the time when I take it to a dyno.

Today I took the lines off the wastegate actuators. I gave the actuator arms a quick squirt with RP7 and then used the air compressor to pulse the arms. The front turbo actuator I can see moving no problems. The rear one I can hear working, but can't see it. It sounds exactly the same as the front one, so I assumed it's working properly.

I bought new clamps for all the vacuum lines, and I bought new hosing for the wastegate to compressor lines. Everything is on nice and tight.

Started her up, warmed it up, then took it for a little drive before nailing it. Boost level hadn't changed, if anything it's going backwards. It feels like it starts to boost, then bam, power goes backwards. I've got the water temp sensor now to check it's reading correctly.

Tomorrow I'll take out the plugs, give em a clean and gap them to 0.8mm.

I had to repair one of the knock sensor plugs on the engine loom when I got it. Definetly could be something to look at. It seems though as soon as it starts to want to make power the ignition is being majorly retarded.

It seems as soon as the list gets smaller, I think of something else Razz Ah well, it's a good intro to the workings of engines Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a theory, I may have cocked up and accidentally swapped around the ECU water temp and the CSI water temp sensors, going to check in morning.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep looking and trying, it will be worth it in the end.

I finally got in the shed with mine and sorted out some electrical issues (thanks for the help from you and CrUZida) with the dash and have everything working except the charge light..

I hate electrics ... Mad
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF,
I suspect my water temp sensor as well and I will test it today.
You *should* not be able to inadvertantly swap the THW and CSI sensor plugs because they should be unique to each sensor, but, I am ready to be corrected !
Cheers,
Mitch.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pity yr not in qld im goin to qld in afew months

i could look at it
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm, if it was a MAP sensored engine i would say that the MAP sensor is the wrong one for the engine. Same thing happened to me when i accidentally put my GE map sensor on the GZE.

Since its not i would look at athe AFM. That and get a timing light hooked up to the car and see if you can get a little bit of boost at idle and check if the timing retards hugely.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure, but those two temp sensors are different colour, but the same plug design. They at least look similar! Mine are filthy so I would not be at all surprised if they are giving out faulty signals.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 02 May 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, just to voice my opinion on here instead of just msn, knock sensors?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knock sensor is a definite possibility. Something to check when it goes to a dyno.

The water temp sensors are the same plug, just different colours. I'm pretty damn sure they were around the right way, but I'm not ruling out anything at this stage. I'm going to go to the car this morning and test the other sensor, this one I have here is within limits.

bbaacchhyy, my charge light has issues to, thats something for me to look at later Razz I can't be bothered atm, and I know the alternator is working properly Laughing
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF,

Just question, as I think my THW is stuffed as well......

How are you testing the water temp sensor to ensure it is within its limits ?
Pot of water being heated up on the stove with a suspended thermometer (off the bottom) and checking its resistance with an MM as the temperature rises ?

In situ on the car with a thermometer stuck inside the radiator cap, while the car warms up at idling revs ?

Maybe this is stupid but I think it could be false to test one at static/ambient temps when it rarely sees these conditions in the car (only at start-up really) ......

Does this make any sense ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 05:29

...and have everything working except the charge light..

I hate electrics ... Mad

Don't forget digital dashes have a charge light were anal dashes have a charge guage...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 10:22

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 05:29

...and have everything working except the charge light..

I hate electrics ... Mad

Don't forget digital dashes have a charge light were anal dashes have a charge guage...

He is right (that is one smart cookie that CrUZida Evil or Very Mad , so I guess it doesn't really matter then ?

I would still like to understand why it doesn't work though Sad

Just hook up a positive lead from the battery or alternator ?

Cheers

MB
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure exactly hey.
But heres an interesting story.
Mate Kev had Aus delivered 5me+digital. Dropped an import 5mge in there (analdash), and the digital dash charge light became an 'everything is ok' light. In other words, it was on all the time.
His alternator packed it in, and I sold him the alternator from the same car you got that dash from.
From then on the digital dash operated normally.

Go figure Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tested the sensor by first running it in ice water, and checked that it was down towards the 0-10 degree range on the chart resistance wise. Then I got boiling water and tried it straight away and got a resistance reading equivalent to around the 90-100 degree mark, making me think that it was not the problem.

There is now an oil leak coming from somewhere towards the rear as well, and I can only assume it's the rear main seal. Yay! It just keeps getting better with this f'ing piece of shit.

Spark plugs show signs of running rich, although I haven't regapped them yet.

Do you guys have any idea how I could check the knock sensors are working correctly? I'm not entirely sure if it's the knock sensor itself, or the wiring which I had to repair because it was broken.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just curious, could the air intake temperature sensor possibly cause it? I'm just trying to try all the things I can think of, it just seems feasible that if the engine sees load and it thinks the intake air is massively hot it may retard the timing a shitload.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah air temp sensor is another possibility.

Either retarding timing or pumping excess fuel in, im not sure how the Toyota management works.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew/Baachy - actually the analogue dashes do have a charge light (and a voltmeter).
That charge light behaviour you saw is expected.
Some early MA61s (eg Kev's import & mine) have a charge lamp relay in the body wiring (driver's kick panel). The relay actually inverts the function of the charge lamp output from the alternator. Presumably the digi dash doesn't need the inversion.
When my alternator packed up I discovered that mine is actually the same as a MX62 cressida alternator, not the same as the locally delivered MA61s.
JCMF - sorry for the hijack.
Did your temp sensor curve look anything like the result I got (uploaded lastnight)?
My 1J is throwing a knock sensor code - so I need to look at why as well.

Regards

Peter
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Air temp sensor is the next thing I'm going to check.

Peter, I didn't end up checking the gauge sender. I checked that the ECU temp sensor worked towards it's extremities where I could roughly work out the temperature, but I didn't have a thermometer that could read the full scale. I still haven't 100% ruled out what is happening in between these ranges, but I can't see it being too far off it's right at each end.

I'm going to borrow a fuel pressure gauge ASAP and try to rule out the fuel pump.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any way I can check the knock sensor circuit is working correctly?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run a tank full of low octane fuel ?
Disconnect the things and go for a drive and see if error codes are thrown ?
Does it have a resistence measure to check ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has about half a tank of fresh Ultimate 98.

I disconnected the water temp sensor, and it threw code 22.

I don't get your third question.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 03 May 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I confused myself with water temp sensors from the other thread.
The knock sensor is a piezoelectric type sensor so I don't think you can test it unless you generate a knock/ping in the engine, which seems a waste of half a tank of Ultimate only to drop 91 octane unleaded in there, and even then that's no guarantee that it will cause the engine to knock.

You have got the correct code for water temp sensor unplugged.

PS: I meant above to disconnect the knock sensors and drive it to see if it throws a code, not the water temp sensor !
Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 05:51]

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Differential problem.
Next Topic:4age not starting - injectors not pulsing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:34:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010186910629272 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.