Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
prrrmeow
Regular

February 2005
icon9.gif  Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:21 Go to next message
hey all...

i have an 88 corolla, ae82 (4age) which has a bit of an overheating problem. When driving, the temp rises too high too quickly, and i have to pull over until it cools down again.

We installed a new thermostat yesterday, which didn't change much, and even driving with the heater on after installing it didn't change much either (this did however maintain the temp beforehand)

It also has a irregular/"pulsating" idle sometimes too...

Anyone got any ideas?? (i hope i explained enough!!)Pls help!! I love this little car!
  Send a private message to this user    
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be a number of things, but just some basics first;

-Check water-pump belt isnt slipping. (long-shot)

Ever done a radiator flush? (Over a long time sediment builds up and your radiators cooling process is imparied) if you haven't heres what you do:

1. Purchase 3L of Toyota Red Coolant. (or the big 5L if its cheap)

- Disconnect bottom hoses from radiator and let it drain.
- Disconnect hose running from top of radiator to engine.
- Get hose (with pressure attatchment) stick it in the top of radiator covering bottom hose with hand.. let it fill and drain a few times Until the water is totally clear. Then stick hose in the inlet from the top hose on the engine.. and wait until the water coming out from the bottom is clear. Then stick waterhose in all hoses to clean them.
- Take out overflow bottle and drain it and hose out all the dirt till its clean.
----

Connect it all backup and fill it with water only... Let it run for abit. Then disconnect bottom hose again and let it all drain again.

Then finally, connect it all up, fill 50% Toyota Red Coolant and 50% clean water. Fill Overflow bottle 70% full with same mix. Then leave radiator cap off when its full and run engine for a few minutes and refill (with coolant) if the water level goes down.. run until no more air bubbles are coming up. Close it up and your set.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2005 22:42]

ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Thu, 28 April 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They have electric fans don't they or clutch type? The irregular idle could spell bad when combined with over heating, take the radiator cap off while the engine is COLD and run the engine check to see if there is any air bubble comming out of the filler cap also does it use water.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2005 23:00]

Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Thu, 28 April 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The overheating and pulsating idle worries me... both of those go hand in hand with a blown head gasket. When you drain your radiator make sure theres no oily residue, check underneath your oil cap for any milky white looking crud

Make sure when you flush the radiator you follow the steps the guys have suggested below, its very important Very Happy

Dan
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Thu, 28 April 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errr... above, not below
prrrmeow
Regular

February 2005
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Fri, 29 April 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok cool...thanks for that guys- will check that out...i hope it's nothing really serious...
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Fri, 29 April 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just had a look at this car. The thermostat is new.
Shouldn't one of the electric fans be for the engine, they both come on with the A/C.
How do you know if its the water pump? OLD School method of wobbling the fan, doesn't work without a fan.

The idle is irregular, no bubbles that indicate a bhg, or oil slime. The car idles at 2500 rpm!
with a miss every 2 secs, pulsing.
Sounds like a few items that need attention.

I am not familair with the 4age so any help is greatly appreciated.
Seth187
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Fri, 29 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be the head gasket.....

Get a friend to help you out with this..

Take number 1 spark plug out and crank it for about 6 seconds or so...if water comes out of the plug hole you have a blown head gasket...if no water comes out put the plug and lead back on and check plug number 2. Do this till all plugs are checked.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Sat, 30 April 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 12:39

I have just had a look at this car. The thermostat is new.
Shouldn't one of the electric fans be for the engine, they both come on with the A/C.
How do you know if its the water pump? OLD School method of wobbling the fan, doesn't work without a fan.

The idle is irregular, no bubbles that indicate a bhg, or oil slime. The car idles at 2500 rpm!
with a miss every 2 secs, pulsing.
Sounds like a few items that need attention.

I am not familair with the 4age so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thats crazy idle. Cooling issues aside, hows the TPS? connected? what about the AFM?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Sat, 30 April 2005 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a link to another thread Idle problem
Whats the radiator cap like ? New or old ?
The coolant hoses can have an effect on the temp of the coolant as well.
When the car overheats are you tooling around town or out in the country ? Town driving would be a far chance its the water pump while out in the country expecialy on the hiway would be a blocked radiator.

But with the idle problem i'd be looking for a leak somewhere, most likely around the water pump. If not there then on the throttle body. Its also a good chance that if you do have a leak thats whats causing the overheating as well.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 April 2005 17:40]

prrrmeow
Regular

February 2005
Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Wed, 04 May 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys- found it was the head gasket....so what would be the best way to solve this problem? Should we replace the head or do an engine swap? Also found out that with the pulsing idle that someone had actually played around with the computer settings- so does anyone know about resetting them?

i just got it on the road and i'm having dramas already Sad

thanks for ur help...i hope i have given enough clear detail...
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help! 88 Corolla gets too hot too quickly... Wed, 04 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous message
It really depends on the condition of the engine, and where the gasket blew. If it was overheating the oil could have fused with the water and made this awful brown yoghurt looking crud and pushed it through the engine... if that is the case it'll need to be flushed thoroughly several times

Get the head crack tested, and make sure that it and the block are not warped. If its okay then get it machined and maybe look for a higher performance gasket to replace it with.

I've blown gaskets on both the cars i've owned and have been lucky enough to get away with not removing the block on either of them when replacing.

Hope this helps!

Dan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA60
Next Topic:Looking for air leaks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:35:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049309730529785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.