Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 09:45 Go to next message
Hey guys...

I'm new here, but I have been into cars for a while and currently own a 4AGZE ae92 SX rolla.... but need a new project.

I want to buy a 1982-85 4x4 Hilux... I really want to make sure I can use it off road... prob highten it a bit and some nice suspension set up and tyres...

But I want more power... I don't want to give up any tourqe, as it will be used for off road use. I was thinking a 1j would be sweet, but I don't think it would have the low down torque that I need. I am used to Forced Induction with the supercharger... So what do you guys think would be best engine for a low down torque and good power, I want to be able to run off the light's too Smile I have searched on here already but had some trouble finding opinions on what to use....

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any information would be great!

Cheers,
Luke
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte or 1ggze comes to mind.

Else 7mgte are plentiful as well. Plenty of torque right there.

Or go your traditional Buick or 308 conversion. Short of that 1uz.

Your choice.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think a 1j would be pointless for off road use... stick to diesel for off road endless torque Razz maybe a lil 4 cylinder efi engine 4age , 3sge or seomthing

wait until someone writes off there 2005 model hilux.. bolt one of them bad boy engines in em unreal like a 3litre turbo diesel or something like that be unreal Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 09:58]

Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I thought the 1j wouldn't be any good....

Could anyonw point me in the direction of power/torque figures for the 1g engines....

Possible big block options...
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think im the most qualified to answer this one.

Owning a Bundera with a 1JZGTE 5speed and tare of about 1700kg and a Navara 3 litre turbo diesel 5 speed tare 1850kg, the 1JZ will easily outpull the turbo diesel any rpm whatever. It is piece of piss to take off in second gear in the bundera harder in the navara, i might add that the diffs are very similar ratio too.

Petrol motors are superior to diesels in everyway except fuel economy and having more complex electrics (more things to go wrong offroad), and the 1J is one of the best petrol motors around.

Im sure if you came for a drive with me you would opt for the 1J, my diesel is no stocker either its got an intercooler and Safari computer and probably puts out around 140kW. The one critism I have is my Bundera is a bit of an animal cause it has around 300kW and a ceramic semi puck clutch. If you went back to stock management, 206kW and full face type clutch it would be alot nicer probably as quick as my bundy too as the hilux would weigh a good 300kg less.

My 2 cents

BTW
Quote:

stick to diesel for off road endless torque
is a totally baseless comment.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1uzfe would be nice. Stay away from 7m motors or you will be doing head gaskets every 10000km the rest are ok as well just not the M series motors.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For Off Road keep it cheep and simple , A 302 Windsor .

Trevor
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Landcruiser 1FZ-FE inline 6 @4.5 litres would be a fair upgrad and a bullet proof motor. Deffinitly better for offroading as it's torque would arriver earlier than a performance based motor such as a 1/2JZ.

For real off roading though your best to get a Turbo Deisel. The new 4.2 TDi is fantastic.

Jodan

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 13:00]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And how do you propose to get either of those engines in a Hilux engine bay? Rolling Eyes
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Tue, 26 April 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbs: but it doesn't matter.. seen the new pics of the supercrown? Smile
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the information people... I have been having a thought about supercharging a 1u... possibaly with a sc12or 14...

Do you think it would be possible and/or worth it??

Cheers,
Luke
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an sc14 on a 4 litre V8?
probably too small to be worth sticking it on.
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I See your point... I really don't want an N/A motor... I guess more research is in order!!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once again there is nothing wrong with a 1JZGTE.

I think if you came for a ride in my car you would be stoked with it's performance. Those small turbos spool incredibly quickly.

But even better would be 2JZGTE Very Happy
flyinwall
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok for a start get at least an 84 model as the engine bay is bigger and get the diesel version (for the following reason)if you want a cheap and simple conversion get a 6M-GTE all you have to do is get a bellhousing off a crown (i think or it might be a cressida) and use that to bolt the motor straight into place no more mods needed you even use the originla engine mounts and then you just have to wire up the efi and your set to go with plenty of power to light up all 4 wheels on the road there is a bit more info on the net about it do a search for supra surf ahd it should be able give you all the info you will need (yes i considered it a viable conversion for my surf and im kicking myself for not doing it!)

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2005 07:01]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyinwall wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 14:50

if you want a cheap and simple conversion get a 6M-GTE all you have to do is get a bellhousing off a crown (i think or it might be a cressida) and use that to bolt the motor straight into place no more mods needed you even use the originla engine mounts and then you just have to wire up the efi and your set to go with plenty of power to light up all 4 wheels on the road

Errr,
A) 6MGTE's don't exist from factory, and aren't realiable when built custom.
B) If you mean 7MGTE then the 1JZ would be a much better option, still bolt in, still bolt up to gearbox etc etc etc.
C) It would still require intercooler and exhaust. etc etc.

In order of cheapness
1. Pushrod V8
2. 1UZFE
3. 1JZGTE

I wouldn't consider anything else (I wouldn't consider pushrod either)
flyinwall
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i meant 6M-GE but when it comes to cheapness have you seen the price for a v8 conversion kit for a hilux marks adapters kits start at around $1000 (and theyre not complete kits either) and the 1uz aren't they up around $1500 just for the motor and then there is a lot of custom work to fit them and i dont know much about the 1jz but do yourself a favour and go to this forum ( http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/i ndex.php )and they will be able to help you out much more than most people here (sorry but its true as they are all 4x4 nuts) yes i know all about this site as i am a member in there and i am currently putting a 4A-GE into my suzuki
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 5MGE/6MGE would be a cheap option yes.

But why put that in?
If you are going to the trouble of a swap, may as well do something that will be more flexible.
flyinwall
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check this out http://www.4wd.net.nz/suprasurf.htm
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again guys....

I think when I sell my car I will be putting the 1j in, I am pritty sure this should suit all my needs, even if it does lack a little of low down power!!!

Cheers,
Luke
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, I don't know much about toyota 6 cyl. engine codes but a dude has a 2.5 litre turbo six in a hilux down here with a lift kit and it tonks!
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Thu, 28 April 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time i looked there was two 4wd hiluxes on ebay with 1G's in them.. for less than you could build them yourself.. (except this yellow one that he wants like 30K for..
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Fri, 29 April 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux_1j wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 17:15

Thanks again guys....

I am pritty sure this should suit all my needs, even if it does lack a little of low down power!!!

Cheers,
Luke

Ahhh you just wont listen to me will you!

I have a 1J in a 4WD much heavier than a hilux, I also have a 3litre turbo diesel in a 4WD (which is supposed to have excellent low rpm power) and the 1J is hands down better all over the rev range

Suit yourself.
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Fri, 29 April 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Relaity Check IT'S an OLD HILUX

be realistic. and if your dead set on spending money on it, then look to a turbo deisel or Landcruiser motor. The HiLux is not a performance vehicle, and a performance turbo motor will not hold up in LOW Speed Low range 4WD conditions. You need a motor that can chug along all day and never give you any hassels.

Jordan
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Fri, 29 April 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
308 holden motor would be one of the most common even later model 304 with injection,You can buy the kits easy as in most states if not all,motors and parts are everywhere so if you are out west bashing it about you can get parts over the counter, something you can't always do with import motors, been there done that in fact the motor in my now written off commodore did a tour of duty in a 2wd hilux and looks like it's going back in now
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Fri, 29 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 16:52

Hilux_1j wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 17:15

Thanks again guys....

I am pritty sure this should suit all my needs, even if it does lack a little of low down power!!!

Cheers,
Luke

Ahhh you just wont listen to me will you!

I have a 1J in a 4WD much heavier than a hilux, I also have a 3litre turbo diesel in a 4WD (which is supposed to have excellent low rpm power) and the 1J is hands down better all over the rev range

Suit yourself.

I am listening dude... And I am pritty sure that I am going to do a 1j!!! I am just waiting now to sell my car and then I can start... With putting the 1j in... what gearbox should I use to keep if 4wd, would the stock box hold upto more power??

Thanks again for your help!

Luke
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Fri, 29 April 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id go for a W56, R150 or R151.

Im not sure what transfer case you have and it's suitablity to above said gearboxes.

Do a bit of reasearch on outerlimits forums.
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Sat, 30 April 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do thanks mate
Hilux_1j
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am still looking for information on the adaptions of W56 or R series gearboxes to the hilux transfer case?? Is it possible??

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to do as much research as possible...
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get yourself a later model W57 gearbox from a later model surf. As far as i know you can still use the transfer case with it.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W57 is not the best option because it doesnt have 4WD gearing.

AFAIK the W and G series gearboxes bolt up to the chain driven transfer cases. This topic has been discussed a few times on outerlimits, did you do a search there?
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip you could proberbly answer this for me. (i've had a look at outerlimits but nothing solid)

I have a G52 in my hilux ute, and am seriously considering putting in the 7MGTE, but i know the gearbox won't last long. The W58 or similar would bolt straight up yes?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure it's just a matter of changing them over at the extension housing. Don't quote me on that though Smile
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What conversion for 82-85 Hilux Mon, 02 May 2005 08:53 Go to previous message
Skip wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 18:32

Im pretty sure it's just a matter of changing them over at the extension housing. Don't quote me on that though Smile

sounds good to me, will find out when the time comes.

Its almost like the 7mgte was meant to appear in a hilux... Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1uz-fe, overall width with exhaust manifolds
Next Topic:Window regulator TA23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:40:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066630840301514 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.