Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
[AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 10 April 2005 16:15 Go to next message
just wondering, for all those ae86 owners who didn't want to pay the price for an exhaust system that all the big companies make(excluding the manifold),
what are your set ups, what's the sound like + and the performance, how much was it altogether, and any tips out there from people who have already done this?

i really would love to have it screaming after 4k,(and quiet sub 4k) but I really wouldn't have a clue on what to do in order to make it sound that way. i really don't know how to describe the sound i'm looking for , maybe someone should start posting some .wav files Smile

my friend's cousin took her car to liverpool exhaust, got a catback exhaust system, using stock resonator and from what i could see an x-force muffler, for 400 dollars, is this relatively cheap for this, or an average price? he (her boyfriend who also owns the car) told me he saw a noticeable difference (performance wise), and it actually sounded nice (i was actually really suprised as how good it sounded, not your average lancer w/ cannon dude that rides his clutch) and best of all, it didn't look like a coffee can on a corolla, in which it still retained a kind-of factory touch.

i've heard good and bad's from liverpool exhaust, but they sponsor my uni's sae team and hoping to get some sort of discount/friendly service if i happen to mention my uni hahaha,
and also, just wondering... the majority of ae86 owners, do you guys have over or under diff?
i would really prefer an over diff just in case i meet those really gay speed humps like the one on top of liverpool westfields, i scrape the underside of my car just going over it (and it's not even lowered or anything).

thanks guys, really appreciate your help/oppinion. sorry for the bagillion questions, just hoping that one day this thread will have some sort of future reference. (i could of sworn i didn't see an exhaust thread on the faq's) love you! haha
p.s; i'm not sure whether this has been posted up before, but i found a post on club4ag, but just trying to start a post locally to get some advices and stuff.
thanks again.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 16:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best setup. Kellam Extractors, 2.25 or 2.5" with 2 resignators, and a small canon. Sounds tough.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got a wav. file? Smile

how was it performance wise? i'm runnning kellam extractors, did you fit an o2 sensor?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 02:45]

koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should have my 2.25" system (4-2-1 extractors -> cat -> resonator -> cannon) fitted in the next fortnight, so i'll let you know how i go. I'll even dig out the MD player and record it, if i get a chance.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh alrights, keep the post updated..... hopefully Smile
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt 2.5" too big for a 1.6.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a stocker yes.
My track car has off the headers, 2.5" cat, then 2.25" through to a muffler, no res, although im considering getting one put in (i have one in the garage). It just depends on the track noise limitations for me.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i see, how loud would you say that set up would be takai?

what's so special about all the other manufactures making full exhaust systems? just the brand name and maybe quality?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loud is an understatement.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got my system recently, done by midas in blackburn.

i have a standard RWD exhaust manifold, i welded a flange on the end of this then drove it to the exhaust shop, loud doesnt even begin to get close to being an understatement.

i had them build a press bent 2 inch system, flanged after the over diff bend.

i told the dude i wanted it loud, so it just has one open chamber offset in centre out lukey glasspack muffler, no resonator.

total cost: 240 bucks.

i'm pretty happy with it, but i think it is too loud, i havent driven the car much yet, so its too early to say, but im pretty sure i will be sticking a resonator in it at some stage.

it has a bit of a rasp that i dont like much, but im hoping this will go away.

definately go over the diff, you still need bends to go under, and if you scrape already it will only make matters worse.

personally i'd steer clear of cannons, i had my muffler and mild steel exhaust tip painted black.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loud and nice
extractors, then 2.25" straight pipe right under diff then to cannon
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know if this qualifies....but i recently found something that i think is far from legal...but cool anyways...

its a Y valve that u can put on after headers and make a pipe straight out the side in front of rear wheel....and performance zaust thats legal to the back of the car Rolling Eyes i have a 2.25 with 2 rezonators and cannon....the valve is operated from the cabin via a cable Evil or Very Mad

all i can say is flames spitting out the side of your car look damn sweet Cool

cheers

Adam
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 11 April 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also vote for under diff. My setup runs RSR 4-1 extractors into 2.25 exhaust into cannon. I think it sounds awesome but you gotta raise your voice for conversations above 3500 rpms!!

Actually, since I'm upgrading to turbo, my exhaust system might be up for sale if the price is right. I'd be wanting a fair bit though... the stuff is genuine RSR so I'll probably just end up keeping it for another project.

Eddie.
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sat, 30 April 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thn its 2.5 for me thn Laughing i wanna hear tht 4age scream!! Evil or Very Mad
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although in a FWD format I have for my 4age a set of gennie extractors, a commodor cat, a steel 480mm long body hot-dog resonator going to a lukey offset straight through steel muffler. All of which being a 2 1/4 system. I find it too loud as it is but there is a minimal amount of drone which is good. I think I will go and stuff more stainless steel dish scrubbers up there with some steel mesh to hold them in, that will shut it up to the standard I want. For my 20V when I put it in my sprinter I wont run a cat to allow for me to run the absolute longest resonator I can, all in 2.25 and with a rear stainless lukey muffler, which is larger than my corolla one, I am happy that theres a decent amount of room under the back of a sprinter for a muffler.
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking at getting a new exhuast but still wondering on what size, etc. etc.
My current set up is standard mainfold, 2 1/4", 2 resonators, no cat and small muffler, it is louder than most Harly Davisons Rolling Eyes
Im thinking about extractors, 2 1/4", high flow cat, one or maybe 2 resonators and a small cannon. Would it be better for 1 or 2 resonators??????

Cheers
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will a MR2 extractors fit the AE86??

Cheers
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, AW11 extractors won't fit a RWD 4AGE. Well, not in any useful way, anyway Smile

Fitted my new system the other day - 2.25" mandrel bent mild steel with 4-2-1 extractors, cat, resonator and 4" cannon - and i'm loving the note, but i don't think it'd be even close to legal. I'm trying to sort out one of those silencer things you fit into the tip of the cannon, hopefully that'll make it a bit quieter.

The car feels a bit freer in the top end, over about 5 grand, but doesn't seem to go much harder otherwise. This is a RWD bigport 4AGE in an 86, btw.

If i can find an MD player that actually works, i'll chuck up an MP3 of it Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2005 09:43]

Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what do I say when I go into the exhaust shop??? Do I actually say it is a JDM Sprinter or something??

Cheers
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Sun, 01 May 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i had a gze i had a 2.5in mandrel system with a 3in cat and a straight through muffler, was fukin loud so i put a second straight through muffler in and it sounded sweet.

now im running a 3in mandrel system under diff, 3in cat and 1 straight through muffler. its loud AND drones like a bitch. i fukin hate it but i put up with it cause im a tight ass and it goes alright Rolling Eyes
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: [AE86] DIY exhaust system (not really, more of a pick it yourself) Mon, 02 May 2005 00:16 Go to previous message
ive got bits of exhaust hear and there, was a quick job by a mate.

from headers, 2.5 - 3 - 2.5 - Resi (which is doing fuck all) - 2.5 - 2.25 - canon..

ABSOLUTELY HATE IT Mad

I drove the car to my mates house with a shuved in muffler to a 1.5" pipe. VERY LOUD screamer pipe. I was hoping this would drown aheap of the noise. only made it say 10-20db quiter..

I need something that sounds nice/4agey Razz but wont loose performance.

ive been told put a muffler in and it should be ok.. i dont see how a muffler can all of the sudden make it so much quiter Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze to 4agte
Next Topic:SA63 - T Series to F Series Swap Over
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:24:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081479549407959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.