Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
icon3.gif  the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:14 Go to next message
just wondering, how does this shit work?
i'm 18 and i started working again (not even work). but i just made 300 in 3 weeks and i got taxed 80 bucks. blah. don't know why.

but besides that, my friend told me, 'cause we're stupid little pizza delivery boys, we claim about 90% of what we spend on the car? to me it sounds like bs and i can not possibly think of a way why the government would give me back this money. why!?

i'm a no0b at the tax system, someone help!
  Send a private message to this user    
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you made 300 in 3 weeks and got taxed $80, your work is calculating your tax wrong. If you work one week in the three (and didn't work the other 2) and got paid 300, then you'd be taxed.

The reason behind it is that there is a taxfree threshhold of about $5000 / year. Hence if you make 100/week you won't get taxed. If you make 300/week (even though you didn't work other weeks) it appears to the pay person that you are actually earning about $15K / year and should be taxed.

You'll get the money back when you do your tax return. If you need the money now, go b1tch slap your pay person and make sure it doesn't happen next time.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok basically the tax system is quite complex and has marginal tax rates ie depending on you income level a different rate of tax is applied to eahc dollar.
Tax rates 2004-05
Taxable income
Tax on this income

$0 – $6,000
Nil

$6,001 – $21,600
17c for each $1 over $6,000

$21,601 - $58,000
$2,652 plus 30c for each $1 over $21,600

$58,001 – $70,000
$13,572 plus 42c for each $1 over $58,000

Over $70,000
$18,612 plus 47c for each $1 over $70,000

they are the latest figures, so for you the first 120 of the week is tax free then the next 180 will be tax at 17%, but remember you will also not receive the compulsory 9% of superannuation, which will go straight to the super fund (when you work over i think 30-38 hours in a month superannuation contribution are made automatically by the employer).

Your friend is drivally shit about the tax system,what you claim back has nothing to do with the tax you pay, first you tax is taken out through PAYG then when you do your tax return you claim all your exepnses and will get some of the tax you paid refunded.

bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really, you can deduct up to 40% of each thing wasted thats got to do with deliviring pizza'z, that includes sun glasses and car maintenance and washing the car.

But 80%, that doesn't sound right,deduction starts past $6000 at the financial year, check with your accountant.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles stop talking your dribbling shit
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps a qualified Taxidermist can give better advice Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am an accountant in training,
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

am an accountant in training,

How long till you become a qualified Taxidermist?
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
C'mon man, that's what training accountants do on the side to fund school.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another 5 and a half years lol, first year, part time i am at work at the accounting firm atm doing tax returns lol. pff i work full time as an undergraduate accountant, more than enough to support the study, more to support my interests in cars.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 00:39]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

another 5 and a half years lol, first year, part time i am at work at the accounting firm atm doing tax returns lol.

A while then hey.

You could do some "backyard" tax returns to earn a little more tax free money Evil or Very Mad

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to bubbles profile he is already an accountant though Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but the way he wrote the post is confusing as all hell to the bloke.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 10:12

$80 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that all ?????

Fark me, just wait till you have to pay about $1500 per fortnight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but i'd still prefer to have you after tax than mine.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i'm not complaining that i'm getting taxed 80 dollars. i'm just wondering if this is normal?

everyone gave me the impression Shocked and said HOLY SHIT about it.

but the thing is, if i spend 80 dollars on brake pads, and such, would i be able to get it back? or do i have to spend a certain amount on the car until i can't get a certain amount back?

is it neccessary to see an accountant, as i only make about 100 dollars per week? :S

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep receipts for everything u spend on your car

claim a percentage of what u think is "business related" i.e. if you bought your car solely to deliver pizzas, then claim 100% which is unlikely...

how do u get paid ? is it just an hourly wage + tips ? or do u get an allowance for petrol ?

generally speaking, if u use your car 500kms a week and 100kms is spent delivering pizzas, then you should be able to claim 20% of the costs in maintaining your car i.e. petrol and shit

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 12:53

Fark me, just wait till you have to pay about $1500 per fortnight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't complain that means that you are likely earning more than $110,000. Don't forget, the more tax you pay, the more money you earn Smile
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 13:44

Don't complain that means that you are likely earning more than $110,000. Don't forget, the more tax you pay, the more money you earn Smile

dont you mean the more money you earn the more tax you pay?!

If it was the way you said, I'd gladly pay $1,100 tax a fortnight if it meant earning $110,000 a year Razz
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaah but the inverse statement does apply!

If you are paying more tax, than it is likely that you are earning more.

Or your accountant needs a kick in the head!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 13:35

Squid wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 13:44

dont you mean the more money you earn the more tax you pay?!

If it was the way you said, I'd gladly pay $1,100 tax a fortnight if it meant earning $110,000 a year Razz

If you were earning $110,000 per year, you'd be paying heaps more than $1,100 per fortnight.

And yes a nice salary is good, but i still hate paying that level of tax
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try: nice salary - tax - HECS (= top tax bracket @ 47% + further 8% from gross earnings)!!! farkkkkk... No No No

i never realised HECS would hurt SOOO much

makes overtime almost pointless as for every hour i only get 45% of what i earn... so much for the double time bonus Sad

M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 12:56

but the thing is, if i spend 80 dollars on brake pads, and such, would i be able to get it back? or do i have to spend a certain amount on the car until i can't get a certain amount back?

is it neccessary to see an accountant, as i only make about 100 dollars per week? :S

You should start to keep a log book of when you use the car for work and what klms,expenses etc are incured from that.
Brake pads probably wouldn't be able to be claimed as a deduction for the whole amount but a % of what you use the car for work.Should be the same with everything else like petrol etc.If you had to use $20 petrol to earn $100 you should be able to use that as a deduction.
Also the tax office allows you a certian amount per klm for when you use your car for so check it out.

Shouildn't need an accountant just a copy of the tax guide/handbook for working out returns which you can get from any tax office.Have a read of that or get someone who understands it better to help.Should answer all your questions in that inc what you can claim and how much.

E.G If you have to wear a uniform you can claim $150 max without reciepts for cleaning of said uniform etc.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i see, thanks!

i do not own the car, the car's under my dad's name but, yes i drive it and pay for the maintenance and stuff.
generally speaking, i only use the car to deliver pizza's. the other day's i use public transport to uni and stuff. so assuming out of 100km, 80-90km of it is for work. would that mean 80% of the petrol i pay, i could claim it back?

i don't get paided ourly wages or anything, i just get paid per delivery.

thanx for moving the post mods!

i realised i accidentally posted in general car talk, but it's partially about the car anyways Razz

oh yeh, and i really don't have a clue about hecs or anything yet. but i'm a first year student, so would i be paying a small amount for hecs too?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 05:57]

M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 15:53

oh i see, thanks!

so assuming out of 100km, 80-90km of it is for work. would that mean 80% of the petrol i pay, i could claim it back?

Being under your dads name might be a problem but shouldn't be.
Yes you should be able to,as well as a percentage of the maintance etc.

As i said get a copy of the tax guide and have a read of the relevant sections.Or get someont to explain them if they don't make sense.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All you pizza delivery dudes should take note that if your "private" car is involved in an accident whilst you are driving for business purposes you may not be covered by insurance.
A friend of mine stacked his car on a pizza delivery once and his insurance company told him that it was his problem because he insured the car for private use and was using it (and had an accident whilst using it) for "business purposes".
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: the tax system Fri, 22 April 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok.If you would like any Tax questions answered in a way that you can understand them, my sister is a tax accountant.
If you PM me I'll give you her E-mail address.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: the tax system Sat, 23 April 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 10:33

really! so im I
, part time, up to reportable fringe benefits at uni

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 10:53]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: the tax system Sun, 24 April 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 22:09

All you pizza delivery dudes should take note that if your "private" car is involved in an accident whilst you are driving for business purposes you may not be covered by insurance.
A friend of mine stacked his car on a pizza delivery once and his insurance company told him that it was his problem because he insured the car for private use and was using it (and had an accident whilst using it) for "business purposes".

Could and would happen, but being an "accident at/while doing work" would/should qualify as a "workers comp claim".

Sounds about right doesnt it.

Cheers

Steve

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 10:53]

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: the tax system Sun, 24 April 2005 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Steve but NO,
As a Pizza delivery driver you are paid per delivery, so in that case you are self employed.
If you do have an accident and get hurt you would have to pay yourself workers comp.

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: the tax system Mon, 25 April 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi-Ace wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 06:42

Sorry Steve but NO,
As a Pizza delivery driver you are paid per delivery, so in that case you are self employed.
If you do have an accident and get hurt you would have to pay yourself workers comp.

Thanks for that.

But surely if your classed as self employed would you need a ABN, pay your own taxes, BAS statements, pay workers comp etc.etc as per a usual business.

Seems like a pretty big loop hole here somewhere.

Cheers

Steve
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: the tax system Mon, 25 April 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 10:17

Hi-Ace wrote on Mon, 25 April 2005 06:42

Sorry Steve but NO,

Thanks for that.

But surely if your classed as self employed would you need a ABN, pay your own taxes, BAS statements, pay workers comp etc.etc as per a usual business.

Seems like a pretty big loop hole here somewhere.

Cheers

Steve

Yep, but thats the way the tax system works.
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: the tax system Mon, 25 April 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought youonly needed an ABN if your turn over is more than $55,000 p/a.
Still being paid per delivery on a sub contract basis than you should still be able to claim the GST portion back regardless of turnover.But i could be wrong about that.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 29 April 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol giving tax advice on a car enthusiast's forum! hahhaha

I heard they increased the company tax free threshold to 30,000
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 29 April 2005 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

oh i see, thanks!

i do not own the car, the car's under my dad's name but, yes i drive it and pay for the maintenance and stuff.
generally speaking, i only use the car to deliver pizza's. the other day's i use public transport to uni and stuff. so assuming out of 100km, 80-90km of it is for work. would that mean 80% of the petrol i pay, i could claim it back?

i realised i accidentally posted in general car talk, but it's partially about the car anyways Razz

oh yeh, and i really don't have a clue about hecs or anything yet. but i'm a first year student, so would i be paying a small amount for hecs too?

Hey John,
They do take a fair bit out of your pay, even if it's too much because they'd rather have it so the government owes you money rather than you owing them money and fleeing the contrary.

For trying to claim stuff there should be the tax handbook thingy which will tell you what you can claim etc. My dad's friend works at the tax office and I can get one of em for ya if you want.

As for you $80, my friend works and gets $600 a week and after tax gets around $500 so it kind of seems high?

As for HECS you only start paying for HECS when you make a certain amount. I think it's once you start earning more than $30,000 and the amount increases the more you earn. I think it starts off at around 5% of your income but I'm not 100% sure.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 29 April 2005 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) system in place so that you don't get a huge tax bill at the end of the year but if you earn less than $113/week you're allowed to ask your employer not to take out the tax.
If you're desperate then this would be a good idea but if you're someone who can't save money I think it's better for you to be paying tax and then get it all back later.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 29 April 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Sat, 30 April 2005 03:23

oh i see, thanks!

Hey John,
They do take a fair bit out of your pay, even if it's too much because they'd rather have it so the government owes you money rather than you owing them money and fleeing the contrary.

For trying to claim stuff there should be the tax handbook thingy which will tell you what you can claim etc. My dad's friend works at the tax office and I can get one of em for ya if you want.

As for you $80, my friend works and gets $600 a week and after tax gets around $500 so it kind of seems high?

As for HECS you only start paying for HECS when you make a certain amount. I think it's once you start earning more than $30,000 and the amount increases the more you earn. I think it starts off at around 5% of your income but I'm not 100% sure.

At least that way you get money back at the end of the year and it's like winning lotto.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: the tax system Fri, 29 April 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found when I was an apperentice earning $300 a week etax was the best way to go and it explains it step by step and its free. Its different when you start geting a larger pay and there is so much more to fill in so the tax man is needed.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: the tax system Sat, 30 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_John wrote on Sat, 30 April 2005 08:22

At least that way you get money back at the end of the year and it's like winning lotto.

Agreed. I think it's better too Wink
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: the tax system Thu, 05 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 20:51

Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 10:33

really! so im I
, part time, up to reportable fringe benefits at uni

I'm up to deductibles, Sec 25 ITAA97 baby Wink

It's a pretty damn intereting subject.

-Jay
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: the tax system Thu, 05 May 2005 07:35 Go to previous message
AHAH

its deductions
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quick, "TheStitt" is Not Around!
Next Topic:Todays show comes to you thanks to the letter D
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:24:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069711208343506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.