Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
icon10.gif  Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 06:59 Go to next message
Hey guys im currently doing a Project Sigma im currently geting th4e engine side sorted and i was interested in your ideas aS this will be on a slight budget so keep that in mind im tossing up on what turbo to use i was thinking the vg30 turbo or a s5 turbo i will be running injection and a mt8 microtech its more so the engine internals side of things and turbo as this is my first project car i need as much guidence as posible thanx again guys Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look at the factory turbo setup and go from there
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have already done that but its on a 2ltr and they use a t3 blow throught carby
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a scoprian with a sr20t on ebay not long ago Rolling Eyes
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea true im more looking to keep it original more than anything
just to do something different
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Forget it

2. If you're truly persistant, I might be able to answer a few of your questions.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any custom turbo setup will be expensive- when you hear the word 'cheap' used inconjunction with 'custom turbo project', you can safely assume it wont be cheap at all.

ok, now that's off my chest, can i suggest:
-custom turbo manifold - unless you can buy, bend and weld steam-pipe get an expert to do it for you - exotic exhausts built my t25 manifold for $500
-turbo - cheap implies easy to locate to replace - if it's engine #1, then go low boost - get something like a t25 - infact, anything with a T3 flange as it's a commonly shape (btw, i thought a VG30 was a twin turbo nissan v6? or do i have the wrong engine code?)
-get the port-injection setup from a 2 litre or large sigma engine, don't fuk around with hardware that's difficult to setup and tune
-get larger injectors
-rebuild the engine with stock (which will limit your boost level anyway) or lower compression (differen piston crowns) - balancing it should be manditory step, it wont need a copper head-gasket+o-ringing but monotorque gasket is preferred - again, get a engine builder to do the important stuff
-expect cooling/corrosion issues in any head you locate - it will cost you mega $ to get coolant holes back to the right size and location (e.g. weld, re-straighten and machine) - mitsu heads have nasty habit of corroding water jackets into fire-rings
-get a stronger (higher clamping pressure) pressure plate - direct clutches (albion) sell these kinds of things, as do others like Nick's clutches - you can use a factory clutch if you're not racing the car
-improve the cooling system, stock sigma will never suffice - a 3-core radiator would be a good start and adapt thermo fans to a decent shroud to enhance airflow thru the core
-dont demand free advice, ask politely with proper grammer and phrase construction.

most importantly - research and read up on what you want to do - dont expect to be handed anything on a plate.

am curius as to why you've asked here and not a sigma or mitsu performance forum?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Sun, 01 May 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just sold a 4g54 week ago. Was bored out with o/s pistons, crank had some work, was told?

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Mon, 02 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The tricks that I heard you need to do:

Get the exhaust manifold, turbo & wastegate from the factory turbo sigma
Get an inlet manifold, injectors, loom, etc from an early 2.6 Magna
Use the cam from the same Magna
On the inlet manifold, take off the throttle body & block up with a plate. Cut open the open end & weld a plate on for the throttle body.
fit to your existing RWD 2.6 block.

This way, you can upgrade the turbo at a later point because the sigma ran an external wastegate from factory.
Probably suggest fitting an intercooler while you're at it & you'll need a surge tank for the EFI.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Mon, 02 May 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, that is the way to go as wagonist said. I gotta ask with respect, why man, Why? Of all the cars in the world to do this with, why a sigma? (This from a man who is obsessed with turbocharging a 1.8 pushrod motor. . .)

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2005 04:50]

Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Tue, 03 May 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i have built a sigma with a starion 2ltr turbo went hard but i had to sell it due loans.Now its hard to find a starion engine plus i want to do something diff. I have been in a sigma turbo with std setup on a 2.6 and it went hard . It is actually cheap surprisingly and the reason i asked ppl on this site as your more inclined to give me really good options. Thanx for all the info keep it coming. The only update i can give you guy's that I have my new pistons. They are std one's machined to suit lower compression for a turbo . Also i have had the head cc'd to lower it even more .I have a to4b i will be placing on her to see how it goes . Atm i dont really care if it blows up i can get complet blocks for 20 buck so im not really fazed but i have to get the dizzy regraphed dont i ?

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 03:25]

bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Tue, 03 May 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough mate. They are a very cheap rwd platform to work up. I'd be directing any more tech queries to the people at MOGWA (mitsubishi owners group of western Australia) or RPW (Racing Performance Works). Google the above and you will get your websites. David Thomas is the RPW guru and you will find it easier to get info off him on the MOGWA forums than when he is at work. Good luck mate.
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have talked to ppl on those sites oyu sugested and i got more help on here so i have my engine almost ready i just have to assemble it yay then back into the engine bay
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try to get in contact with a company in sydney called monstabishi they have built a few 11s turbo sigmas and i think there demo was an auto and did some stupid time like 10s i was in the 10s dam that thing was fast .... people put v8's in sigmas ??????????
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got told they dont exist anymore :S maybe i could be wrong but i havnt heard of them for a long time
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its been a while sinse ive heard of them but shit they were quick i wont 4get them.........
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iv heard a lot of the ideas already mentioned too, but how will the gearbox hold up? i have heard that they are terrible for high performance sigma engines, break all the time. other than that early carbi turbo's are harder to modify because they aren't a very good design of turbo system, so i suppose if you changed it all to a new system it would run well - ie efi etc.
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Wed, 04 May 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the u.s starions got the 4G54B. Although in a heavy car, they can be excellent performers with very little input. With balance shafts intact on a 2.6 in mechanically sound condition, they are among the smoothest 4 cylinder powerplants about, even today.
The reason info is lacking is because its an old motor and lots of mindless folks think you need dohc to haul arse. Add to that, most of the folks I know with wicked hot 2.6s have moved on to other things.
U.s. guys import the magna intakes from your way and run various ecus.
A couple have put down over 400 ft-lbs tq through starion gearboxes with that intake - more tq than your 'average' 4cyl.
I've seen a few low 11sec 2.6s street cars pass thru the u.s. forums.
Darn good performance platform that can be had cheap
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Thu, 05 May 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ol' 2.6 rattler can be made to pull pretty hard, but has some low points too. They are pretty short on grunt, but put out what they do at pretty low revs - they can spool up larger turbo's with reasonable success. The innards are nothing too special, although revs are the big killer, and unless you start opening up the wallet a fair bit, you won't be seeing big revs. Many of them have trouble with cooling/gaskets/head cracking, mainly due to poor water circulation in the head, as well as general corrosion. Take the head off, and make sure you do something about this! I can also see gearboxes as an issue - the 5 speed bogwarmer box is terrible, the japanese boxes are a a bit better though. Definately change the cam, and get rid of the HLA's the 2.6 litre engines have. The stock comp is low enough. Most importantly, have fun!
Nuf13
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: Turbo Charging sigma 2.6 Mon, 09 May 2005 08:55 Go to previous message
What injectors do you guys recomend i are big enough so when i rebuild her again i dont max the new ones out lol Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:55]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1uz-fe vvt-i wiring diagrams
Next Topic:hilux auto to manual
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 21:33:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010302066802979 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.