Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Skiing : need some info!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 07:19 Go to next message
Hey just wondering if any toymodders are regular skiers? I'm hoping to plan a trip for some friends next year to Mt Hotham or Falls Creek maybe - not entirely sure. Can anyone recommend any good places to stay for about a dozen ppl? How do the ski fields compare - I remember that Mt Hotham has some nice slopes etc but it's been a long time between drinks! Not necessarily looking for the cheapest accomodation, just something nice and comfy to rest sore knees and ankles Very Happy

Is there much in the way of drinking spots at the slopes these days?
  Send a private message to this user    
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's some info: snowboarding is better! Razz

although i havent tried skiing and have only been boarding 3 times (for 1-2 weeks), if you have ever surfed/skateboarded or engaged in any other similar sport, then you will find boarding heaps easier
then again, i cant see how skiing could be easier than boarding, cos you have two things to control instead of one Confused

go boarding! Very Happy

btw, how did you change your name? Surprised

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 09:21]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in australia, skiing.. boarding on ice is not good Razz

NZ is good for both, take a board for powder days.

japan? board only...Wink

as for aussie resorts, we usually go to perisher blue, simply for the variety, but in a good season, thredbo can be ok... never tried falls or hotham tho.. go to a few travel agents, they can get very good deals, and have access to lots of accomdation, i've found a few flight centres to be good....

other thing is, best deals are gotten when booked before end of april (usually)...

have fun Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I've been down to Mt Hotham once a long time ago - skiing was great - luckily we arrived just after a blizzard so the powder was fresh Very Happy Mmmm

I hear NZ is quite good for skiing too, although I'd have to check on pricing for that one!

Perisher blue ey? What are the slopes like? Smooth or lotsa moguls, narrow, wide, steep, tricky what sort of ratio of black : easy runs are there?

As for the snowboarding. Yeah I hear heaps of ppl prefer the board over the skis, but really you end up going down a hill one way or another Very Happy
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been down to perisher the past 3 years just because of the variety and size of the resort. I've stayed at the station the past 2 years in jindabyne and that has been pretty good price wise. it was around $500-600 for 5/6 nights with a 5.5 day lift pass and 5 breakfasts and dinners provided.

if you book early they give you the extra night accommodation which is good for the drive back. the only downside is driving up the mountain every day or you can get a skitube pass added on to your lift pass for $120 i think for the 5 days which is a little bit better than driving up. staying in jindy there are a few places to drink, but it's nothing special. we usually just drank in our rooms apart from 2 night when we went into town

skiing vs snowboarding: its all personal preferance. i used to ski however changed over to snowboarding for a challenge. personally i found it very easy to pick up and found that after 3 days you can be quite confident with a few group lessons.

if you're renting snowboard gear i'd reccommend first tracks, i rented from them last year and they were great. you pay a little more than going somewhere else like rebel although the quality of the gear is really good. i managed to get a burton board and bindings with decent salomon boots for around $210 for the week and you can really notice the difference between the cheaper rentals.

hope that helped out a bit. Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to ski/board hire then ey? What's the usual price for a weeks worth of ski gear - I'll need jacket, goggles, pants, poles, boots and skis for 5 days of skiing (5 days seems to be the 'done thing'). I just need a ballpark figure
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to be a hotham regular before I started taking my holidays overseas. We used to stay at http://www.mcmillanskiclub.com.au/, mainly because a friend of mine was a member, but it's pretty nice accomodation and nice and close to an access trail. It's not too close to the 'nightlife' but then again, hotham has no real nightlife, just really good snow Smiley =
oldcorollas: I agree the boarding is not real crash hot in NSW, but there's a world of difference between NSW and VIC ski slopes.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should see the difference between NSW/VIC and British Columbia/Colorado
FIGJAM
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would organise to go to NZ. although i have never been myself it works out poretty much the same price or bout $100 more for a week.

also the snow there is apparently awsome from what people tell me and there is hardly ice and mainly powder
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 06:35

You should see the difference between NSW/VIC and British Columbia/Colorado
FIGJAM

haha, I haven't been to colorado, but I've been to a few places accross canada. Don't get me wrong, there's a world of difference, but I still don't mind skiiing Australian slopes. And of that, I prefer the Victorian ones.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Skiing : need some info! Tue, 26 April 2005 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, ive only been in nsw anyway, so i guess i cant really compare boarding anywhere else Razz
but i am going to queenstown in july (only going in july cos it's far away from my exams, and cos we got heaps cheap plane flights on some special thing), so that should be good Very Happy
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey RWDboy,

I've been to Falls Creek 4 times and we stayed at Les Chalets every time. We've had 12-18 people each time.

They are pretty comfy and there's plenty of space. For 12 people you;d be in one of the larger rooms which are up higher. Better views, but a pain on the legs after a hard days skiing.

To get rooms there you have to get in quick; we booked in January to go down in mid July each time and were pretty lucky to get rooms.

Not many drinking spots I don't think though, not that I went out there at all. Just stayed in drinking; was easier than walking back through the snow and going up 4-5 flights of stairs drunk! Laughing

Can't remember prices but most places are about the same. We got deals for the group booking on ski gear though. Check a couple out and that will give you a good indication. Smile

Fingers
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmm group discount Smile

I was hoping to book within a few months from now so I don't expect I'll have trouble with that - thanks for the heads up with that.

The only probs with going to NZ is organising flights etc, not exactly heaps cheap Sad Compared to getting a coupla cars and piling everyone in.... hehehe
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the Toymods resident ski-bum, i feel i have a little to offer here - despite a lack of experience with VIC snowfields.

Old_mr2,
how much BC and Colorado ski/board time have you had?
Im running on 15+ days BC, and 3 months Colorado. Planning to return to one or other next year or two.

RWDboy,

If you are planning for next year, plan for NZ. They have better altitudes, a much better longtidude, and thus theoretically better snow (although this is dependant on time of year, snowfall, location etc etc). The price difference as mentioned before is typically stuff all when you go for the package deals, and it is definitely worth that little extra!!

You always see those $1500 deals for 7 days skiing incl virtually everything - even when i stay in budget accomodation hooked up through family friends ($30/nite) it still costs around $700 or so for a week's skiing. FFS its $80 for one day lift pass at Perisher these days!!! Compare that to the US$75/day PEAK SEASON lift pass at Vail, the no.1 rated Ski resort in North America and the value just dont add up!!

NZ is worthwile. Its not colorado or BC by any accounts, but its well worth the $$ compared to the Packer Corp. alternatives here in Australia..... and hell, you get an overseas trip thrown in!!!

Skiing vs Boarding....

Ive been skiing since i was 5 - i love it. I will ski until i die, and nothing can stop me Razz
I can also snowboard, and do say that it is easy to pick up from a 1st timer perspective. In my opinion skiing is more rewarding, and is fast becoming the more popular of the snow sports with the younger crowd in North America (extremem skiing RAWKS).
You do what you want to do really... i found snowsboarding dull and unchallenging myself, but thats just me Razz

Australia VS North America....

Yeah there is a fair bit of difference. I tried skiing in NSW last year and got the shits with it bigtime, simply because the snow just isnt good enough for me. Its soft and completely unsupportive and heavy as all hell.

I guess i have been spoiled by living in Summit County for 3 months and getting to ski EVERY DAY on the best groomed snow in Colorado...... so fast, so light...... you can cut an edge at 70+kph and hold it around a 30m radius if your strength, equipment and ability are up to it!!! I would go racing down the main run at 4:15pm with the ski patrol last runs and leave nothing but two winding train tracks down the 3km run. Sometimes i would take the whole 5km run down to the bus stop.... only took 4 mins flat Wink

Snow sports are awesome. I could spend the rest of my life skiing....

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is a regular snowboarder has been snow addict since walking age. Goes every year. Shame he lives in Adelaide....

Every year he organises a trip for whoever wants to come to Hotham. Looking a bit light this year as some of his regulars are unavailable/cashless/arseholes.

He loves Hotham because it knows it like the back of his hand and the terrain and layout is unbeatable for Oz. Mountain Nightlife is Rad too.

Considering NZ next year.

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!!!!!!!
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 14:41

the terrain and layout is unbeatable for Oz. Mountain Nightlife is Rad too.

I agree the terrain is the best I've ski'd in Australia with the closest thing we've got to double blacks (perisher and thredbo barely get close to a black run. Tangent: if you're boarding keep a bunch of speed at the bottom of the double blacks, because it's a long walk back), the snow is normally a bunch thicker and nicer, I think there's only one rope toe in the joint (actually two if you count the cat skiing), with the majority of lifts being quad chairs with foot rests, there's a stack more variety but a lot less runs than perisher.

And the nightlife.... well.
There's not a whole heap but you can make do. I can't count the times I've been mutant on the courtesy bus. There's something about the snow and getting off your dial. And even after a night of being found blacked out in the toilets at zirkys, you're able to ski in the mornings. Albeit so much easier at hotham because you strap you gear on, walk 20 metres, drop in on your first run and wake up about half way down Smiley =
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so maybe this year the witzl should grace the Hotham with his prescence.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you won't regret it.

And you'll notice that Hothams metre and a half of snow is actually a metre and a half, unlike other ski fields that say they have it but there's still grass showing through Rolling Eyes
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt it would still compare to way they measure snow in Colorado....

eg, morning snow reports say "2 inches new snow".... i get to work and there is almost a freaken foot of powder..... needless to say i was late to work Very Happy And then took and extra long morning tea which turned into lunch Razz and snuck out early again....
I think they noticed after i did it for the 5th time Smile

I'll think about it - havent planned much for this year yet! Was thinking about a Toymods trip actually.
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anybody say "Toymods Snow Holiday"??!! Very Happy

In Aus your biggest expense besides accomodation is likely to be lift passes I've heard that the lift passes, accomodation and gear hire in NZ are unbelievably cheaper which is why even with the cost of airfare its still about the same cost as going to the snow in Aus. I've only ever been to Perisher and Thredbo though because its close enough for me to drive down on a Saturday morning and drive home on the Sunday night.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Tue, 26 April 2005 22:49

I hear NZ is quite good for skiing too, although I'd have to check on pricing for that one!

Perisher blue ey? What are the slopes like? Smooth or lotsa moguls, narrow, wide, steep, tricky what sort of ratio of black : easy runs are there?

As for the snowboarding. Yeah I hear heaps of ppl prefer the board over the skis, but really you end up going down a hill one way or another Very Happy

NZ last year... i think it was $1800-2100 for flights, 16 days car hire, 15 nights accomdation and 12-13 days skiing.. we did both north and south island... only do south Razz. stay in queenstown and then maybe go up north a bit for a day or two if snow is good.

perisher has large range. not so many trees.. runs are kinda short tho, but heaps of lifts...

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so, Mr Witzl.. coming to japan? Wink i'll be there for two seasons Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's on my "to-ski" list. Along with about 50,000 other places!!

i'm tempted though!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like Hotham is a good bet! I remember people saying when I went there that the slopes were actually decent and the best in Australia - at least that's what the swedish (or was he swiss?) ski instructor was saying, and I figured being from the northern hemisphere he *might* be telling the truth, but you can never be sure that they aren't just paid to say that Very Happy I remember the black diamonds being extra fun - I was pretty young and probably wasn't going as flat out as I remember Very Happy Flying over moguls seems quick at the time.

If anyone feels like organising a massive crazy boonta toymods ski trip then go for it Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 14:26

Old_mr2, how much BC and Colorado ski/board time have you had?
Im running on 15+ days BC, and 3 months Colorado. Planning to return to one or other next year or two.

Hi
I have a full time job and a mortgage so I havent done a season anywhere but i have stayed/boarded for a week each at the following ski resorts

in BC,
Silver Star - Excellent was minus 20-25 all week
Sun Peaks - Very Good
Fernie - Powder capital of the world, but i went at a bad time

in Colorado,
Vail - Excellent and Huge!! 21 foot halfpipe

in California/Nevada,
Lake Tahoe - Excellent 8 mile runs!!!!

My fave was Vail. The snow was soooo dry and fast. A big rooster tail followed you as you boarded. 5 massive mountains and 4 massive bowls. Massive rail park and Jumps plus the Halfpipe

Next im off to Coronet Peak in NZ. In july/August

I recommend Nitro snowboards and Burton Boots

[Updated on: Wed, 27 April 2005 15:36]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i went to BC i did:
Lake Luise
Sunshine
and another place i forget now....

In Colorado i worked at Breckenridge (Vail Resorts) for 3 months, so:
Breckenridge
Keystone
Copper Mountain
Vail

Vail was damn huge with some very nice groomed runs, but there was nowhere near the extreme terrain and LONG FAST runs like there is at Breck, and Breck just had such a better feel to it (with a bigger and better halfpipe and terrain park than Vail Razz)

Copper was pretty cool, but they got the front face of their mountain in the shade by 2pm and so it was always VERY HARD - but fuck me was it FAST and could you hold an edge... if you fell though... Shocked

If i were to go to BC in the near Future there are a few mountains on my list - Ferne, Red Mountain, Big White..... hmmmm....
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Skiing : need some info! Wed, 27 April 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly recommend both Fernie and Big white, as they were a couple of the mountains that I visited whilst in Canada.
Fernie has great snow and the runs seem great for boarders. Big white was pretty darn good with some great snow to be found on 'out of the way' runs. The village also has a run as the main street, so it's literally ski-in-ski-out. The tube park there is hell fun when you're mutant but don't let anyone fart in the gondola.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Skiing : need some info! Thu, 28 April 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive just booked a trip to the snow to perisher through snowholidays.com.au for late august

got a few beginners going so just wanted somewhere easy, find perisher pretty good can get busy at times though just dont go in school holidays Very Happy

definately looking at NZ next year, some of the deals look rather tempting
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Skiing : need some info! Mon, 02 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 14:11

unavailable/cashless/arseholes.

whens this years trip for? or am i the arsehole?
Flynnos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Skiing : need some info! Mon, 02 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous message
yeah the snow can be better in n.z but you also get about 5 or 6 real lifts a mountain which can be quite boring and stuffed in big crowds...

and nz not icy? Shocked Coronet peak, the main resort for Queenstown is affectioantley referred ot as concrete peak, and having being there acouple of time this is damn true...
however that said, some of the package deals to n.z are dirt cheap and if you go to queenstown youll have an awesome time regardless of skiing....

ive been a skier, now a boarder for the past 8 or 9 years with my 1st trip to candada at christmas!...shit season but still had some awsome powder at fernie, luv that resort- bowls evrywhere! unfortunately my whistler experiecne wasnt much better than a bad season here, slush central Sad

I would suggest perisher or thredbo for your 1st time..its close,theres heaps of beginner runs with a lot of easy to load lifts.... and a much better nightlife than the vic mountains in my opinion

and finally try skiing if you like speed, snowboarding if you like to carve and later want to do tricks....dont let skiers fool you, tricks suck on skis! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bloody Women Drivers !
Next Topic:MIss Thailand 2005
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:40:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063068866729736 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.