Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Mon, 02 May 2005 10:21 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Has anyone out there replaced/repaired the turbo manifold on their GT4?

My exhaust shop suggested it was a 10+ hour job running upwards of $1,300 Shocked

Apparently you have to remove the turbo and intercooler completely before you can even assess what the problem is. Then you're up for new (genuine Toyota) gaskets etc.. and have to replace any studs that are broken along the way!

Any words of wisdom or experience most welcome.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Mon, 02 May 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, for a Group A, it will prolly take ten hours, and dependant on parts required and price paid, it could run up to $1300. Mind you, if you do it yourself, you'll more than halve that figure.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Mon, 02 May 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno about group a's but i got a quote for a steam pipe custom manifold with external gate for 700 fitted to the car and turbo but no oil and water lines
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Mon, 02 May 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you need a dump pipe and 5-stud adaptor flange with short 3" adaptor pipe, let me know. I'm trying to get rid of mine.
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you are a stickler for authenticity, I'd be tempted just to use a normal ST185 manifold. The antilag stuff is disabled on road cars anyway.

If you did it yourself and worst case scenario of a screwed manifold:

* decent secondhand 3SGTE Gen 2 manifold $40
* Head - Manifold gaskets $36
* Manifold - turbo gasket $18
* New coolant and oil and filter (may as well) $70 or so.

So you could do the job with around ~$150-$160 which also is a minor service on the motor Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 01:19]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no antilag on the ST185 group A's only the ST205 Group A's.
To the best of my knowledge the exhaust manifolds are exactly the same on ST185 vs ST185 GrpA.

I was going to replace my turbo a while ago because mine is getting a bit old and I have a good ST205 turbo (CT2620B).
I started removing everything I needed to get to the turbo including W/A IC, Alternator, Airbox (makes it easier), splashgaurds etc. and the I found that the dump pipe (lovely cast item) and its bolts were rusted together.
No matter how much I tried with the metrinch and WD I couldn't get them to move in such a confined space.

I would suggest that any group A that hasn't had the dump pipe replaced or at least taken off a few times since new will be the same as mine.

I ended up giving up on removing the turbo as I would have had to remove the radiator and thermo fan to "possibly" give me enough room to get the bolts undone with a 3/4" ratchet and extention bar.
I decided (like everything else) that the turbo will be replaced when I do my conversion (current ETA Feb 2010... so the car gets to the nationals) and have the engine out.
andyman
Regular

April 2003
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey toobs,

i spose your not willing to sell the ct20b are you?

thanks,
andy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also what are you doing to the manifold?
The standard item is a chunk of cast iron and is not likely to need repair / replacing... unless you "want" to replace it.

Do you just need to replace a gasket?
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 14:25

Also what are you doing to the manifold?
The standard item is a chunk of cast iron and is not likely to need repair / replacing... unless you "want" to replace it.

Do you just need to replace a gasket?

There is apparently a leak in the turbo manifold, which I originally thought was just a minor exhaust leak near the turbo - no such luck.

So not really sure - if there is a leak there I assume that either the manifold is stuffed or the gasket is leaking. This is probably something you can't really determine until you've pulled everything off anyway Confused

Also, I was told I would be up for several hundred $$$ just to get the genuine Toyota gaskets!!
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah man, thats crap. I paid $36 for the two head-manifold gaskets and $18 for the turbo-manifold gasket.

Geniune toyota.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about throwing one of these bad boys on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=43808&item=4547432460&rd=1& ;ssPageName=WDVW
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 14:25

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;category=43808&item=4547432460&rd=1& ;amp ;ssPageName=WDVW

I wonder if anyone could tell me whereabouts the turbo would sit with regards to standard manifold turbo location, using one of those "MonstA's"?

Would it sit further down and to the right?
Or sit more toward the front and higher up (in a gt4)?

If anyone knows, or better yet has one of these installed can they take a photo for me, cheers Razz

Adam
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acreese wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 17:21

cycleofabuse wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 14:25

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;a mp;a mp;category=43808&item=4547432460&rd=1& ;amp ;amp ;ssPageName=WDVW

I wonder if anyone could tell me whereabouts the turbo would sit with regards to standard manifold turbo location, using one of those "MonstA's"?

Would it sit further down and to the right?
Or sit more toward the front and higher up (in a gt4)?

If anyone knows, or better yet has one of these installed can they take a photo for me, cheers Razz

Adam

Also - wouldn't the turbo sit in a slightly different spot on the MR2 than the Celica due to the mid-mounted location?
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well actually there were a few manifolds for the st185 on ebay recently. I wasn't necessarily saying this was what you should get, but keep an eye on ebay for them.
Here's a link for one that has already ended, you should ask him about buying one.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=72205&item=7969790878&rd=1& ;ssPageName=WD2V
However that's a bit more than i thought it would cost.
Good luck.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of the Gen 2 manifolds mount the turbo in the same location. The Gen 3 mounts the turbo closer to the gearbox.

The chinese manifolds that are advertised on ebay all the time are supposed to mount the turbo in exactly the same location as the standard Gen 2 manifold.

As to the problem you have, the stock Gen 2 manifold is known to warp and crack. The Gen 3 has two extra bolts to stop this.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:59]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... changing the turbo exhaust gasket will be a bitch.
You have to remove the turbo stay, turbo elbow stay and the cat stay... all of which could well be fused together with Ferrous Oxide force!

If you are going to use a workshop to change the gaskets get them to do some other stuff at the same time.
Send the turbo off and get the seals and bearings replaced and the thing rebalanced (circa $400).
Maybe remove the cat and put on an aftermarket item (e.g. Aussie Exhaust). Don't tell JustenGT4 [EPA] Razz
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Tue, 03 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 21:25

Hmm... changing the turbo exhaust gasket will be a bitch.
You have to remove the turbo stay, turbo elbow stay and the cat stay... all of which could well be fused together with Ferrous Oxide force!

If you are going to use a workshop to change the gaskets get them to do some other stuff at the same time.
Send the turbo off and get the seals and bearings replaced and the thing rebalanced (circa $400).
Maybe remove the cat and put on an aftermarket item (e.g. Aussie Exhaust). Don't tell JustenGT4 [EPA] Razz

Yeah, since everything will be off anyway, I wanted to look at any other 'fixes' I should do at the same time Cool
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Wed, 04 May 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 20:30

Yep, for a Group A, it will prolly take ten hours, and dependant on parts required and price paid, it could run up to $1300. Mind you, if you do it yourself, you'll more than halve that figure.

Just out of interest - why would a GroupA be any different to any other GT4 for this type of job?

Isn't the only difference a w/a intercooler? Surely the turbo manifold, gaskets, turbo etc.. are the same on GroupA as a standard GT4?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Wed, 04 May 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would only be maybe 10 mins difference and half a bottle of toyota red extra.
Not much else different about the process.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 05 May 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's one on ebay which claims to fit the st185 and it's also cheaper, have a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=72478&item=4547011177&rd=1
I comes with gaskets and bolts too.
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 19 May 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought one of those SS manifolds from ebay. Looks pretty good and should flow better than the standard one.

I plan to attempt to fit it myself as well. Any words of wisdom before I start on the job?

Also want to do an Aussie dump and maybe steel turbine conversion on the CT26 at the same time. They should both be worthwhile upgrades as well.

Wish me luck Wink
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 19 May 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My tip to you, is remove the dumppipe/turbo/exhaustmanifold in one big hit. As one piece, so much easier... Also remove the radiator to make a bit of room.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 19 May 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plenty of WD40 on all bolts and let them soak over night, and hit them again before tackling the bolts. Might save a few headaches later on.
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 19 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice. I found an article on Bill Evia's site which talks about removing the turbo http://billevia.tripod.com/welcometobills1990toyot ast185turbocelicaalltracwebsite/id10.html

He recommends removing the intercooler, intake, radiator, fan, oxygen sensor, heat shields, oil filter & base, dipstick, alternator, A/C compressor and cat (in that order).

Big job, but an opportunity to save $$$ (and learn a bit about the beast at the same time Wink )
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Turbo Manifold for 3S-GTE Thu, 19 May 2005 11:17 Go to previous message
If your handy with a spanner, it shouldn't take you more then 3-4hours. From start to finish.

Keep an eye on the new exhaust manifold though, since they are prone to cracking.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18R-C Engine Timing and Carby Tuning
Next Topic:which r154 do i need?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 18:40:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093860626220703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.