Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
engineering rules for 1970 car Tue, 03 May 2005 01:49 Go to next message
fellow moders, after a quick search i have not found the info i was looking for re: what law on engines/car.

I am looking at putting a 1uzfe or 1jzgte into a old 1970's ford (XW/XY) i cant stand to keep the old V8 and spending $4500 to rebuild it to 330hp and a swag or tourque.

I was thinking the 1jzgte with a single turbo should get the same results cheaper maybe?!? ($2500 for motor lets say + mods to $2000) to get ~246Kw

Basicly what rules do i need to go by, the yr of then engine, eg making the ol ford needs things like fuel filler and standard EFI. Or the yr of the car meaning i can use aftermarket injection as its better than the ol carby's of that era.

any idea's. This is in Vic if it makes any diff
(and yes i will clear it with a engineer before i spend any money, just thought someone might know)
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engineering rules for 1970 car Tue, 03 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is most likely legal, infact the EPA and RTA should love you for it, but choose an engineer out of the signatory that is in your area, and ASK THE ENGINEER what is legal. In the process of your conversion the engineer will be the perfect person to speak to about any mods that you may need to carry out along the way (after all it is he who is going to pass/fail the car).
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: engineering rules for 1970 car Tue, 03 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i realise the engineer is the person to ask "when" i am serious about it. just thought someone might have gone through a similar path, eg 1ggte's in ra23's etc. I recall when i did my celica, they went by the engine not the car itself and hence i could NOT mod the engine (lower the engine's emission controls etc) unless paid for a very expencive test.

I will have to contact the engineer then, he hasn't returned my call as of yet(must be busy)
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engineering rules for 1970 car Tue, 03 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboCelica wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 16:15

"when" i am serious about it.
Rolling Eyes

Still the engineer is the person to ask "before" you are serious about it. IF someone has been through it recently and they have been told what to do by the engineer it becomes "their interpretation" of the "engineers interpretation" of the rules.

I could have made 5 x calls to engineers and typed 2 emails for less total key strokes than the replies here have taken.

The modern world of Internet Forums, email and drive through maccas has led us to be so impatient as to start a thread in a Forum because the engineer was not available to answer my call when I had a thought about a good conversion......
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: engineering rules for 1970 car Tue, 03 May 2005 07:49 Go to previous message
Thank you for your help, and effort
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mx8
Next Topic:Heater Fan Speeds
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 14:40:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049879550933838 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.