Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
J S E
Regular

May 2005
1974 celica engine conversion Wed, 04 May 2005 06:09 Go to next message
hey guys,

ta22 74' celica...the original 1600 just isnt doing it 4 me. i was thinking of puttin a 4agze and maybe custom turbo (my bet being that this is the safest and soundest option). i was also lookin at the 3tgte...whats everyones opinions? or any other alternatives, experiences???

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 06:29]

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1974 celica engine swap Wed, 04 May 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, how much do you want for this?
J S E
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1974 celica engine swap Wed, 04 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mate i think you misunderstood me, i ain't selling it i just want some opinions.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Wed, 04 May 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres some common swaps.

2TG - came stock in the GT model ta22, produces around 125 odd hp at the flywheel. equal to about 85-90 at the treads.

2TG/3T Hybrid - This is the 2TG block and head, however, the crankshaft and pistons are swapped over for 3T items, effectivly giving more capacity (1.8 litres) and higher compression. Some claim 95-100 kw at the treads, 140-150 hp with decent exhaust systems, port and polish and cams, i have one of these engines, its not installed yet.

4AGE,4AGZE,4AGTE - while all of these models seem like a good idea, being as they're very strong, very durable, and have alot of aftermarket support, they arent a very good choice because of their notorious lack of torque.

3TC, 3TGTE - these are very sought after engines, because they are a very good choice, basically being the 1.8 litre model of the stock ta22 engine, they are very advanced in terms of technology (for their age), and are very torquey and a very good choice, however they are beginning to become increasingly rare.

1GGTE - the 2.0 litre toyota inline six, comes in 1GGTE twin turbo models, and 1GGZE, a tight fit in a ta22, however the ra23, ra28 etc. are a more suitable catalyst. this is an almost perfect engine for the ta22, they are light, tourquey and have alot of hp. but, they are also hard to find parts for, as well as a bit of a bitch to find.

18RG - Very good choice, "Wildsupra" is performing this conversion on his ta22, the 2litre four pot does not come in turbo or supercharged to my knowledge, but with cams, a decent exhaust system, and some minor head work, this will make your ta22 move like it was meant to.

1JZ - 2.5 litre, comes in NA turbo and twin turbo, came stock in the jza70 etc supras, later replaced by the 2JZ, this is a very good choice for a ta22, albeit a heavy one, this will probably upset the balance of the car without some crafty work during fitting and suspension work. quite costly.

2JZ - no chance, way too expensive, if youve got money, 3.0 litre twin turbos will probably cause your chassis to twist with the massive amounts of torque/power this beast can produce.

that pretty much covers any engine conversion ever attempted. albeit the 1UZFE Lexus quad cam V8. which, unless your insane, youll forget about.

sorry about the essay, but yeah, everything ive ever heard of into a ta22 Smile

please take note, alot of people have alot of ideas, and while neither of us are right, these are mine, i wouldnt attempt a 4age into a ta22 because they lack tourque. Plain and simple, they are an excellent engine otherwise.

Enjoy your stay here at toymods, and please ensure your tray tables are in their upright and locked positions.

oh yeah, and dont post stuff like this in the for sale sections, and in future, search.

Eldar.O.
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1974 celica engine swap Wed, 04 May 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J S E wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 16:30

sorry mate i think you misunderstood me, i ain't selling it i just want some opinions.

Then why is it in the for-sale section?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Wed, 04 May 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J S E, you've posted this in the for sale section.
Normally this would simply get deleted, and maybe as a newbie the moderators would give you the benefit of the doubt & move it to the appropriate section, in this case Tech & conversions.

As EldarO has posted up some useful info, I'm going to move this, but learn to post your threads in the appropriate area or they'll end up deleted.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Wed, 04 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firm but fair, i love toymods and their admins Very Happy

Eldar.O.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Wed, 04 May 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the 3TGTE Very Happy
J S E
Regular

May 2005
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks guys...thanks 4 the essay, i jus realised i posted in wrong section!!!

yeah a few people i have talked to have pushed me towards the 3tgte although as they are becoming increasingly long in the tooth i am a bit stuck on whether it will actually be a 3tgte or a 4agze!

cheers 4 the tech help dudes!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you located?
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget about nissans offering of the ca18de, ca18det, sr20de, sr20det...

they are very nice engines... and wouldnt require much to fit them in, maybe mounts and some modding of the crossmember.

plus EFI gear, which you would need anyway Smile

good luck in whatever you decide to do.

if you choose to go 4AGE, get a 20 valve silvertop, with some crafty routing of the water pipes, they can be made to fit RWD applications nicely, and at 5 valves per cylinder, they rule all! and they come with quad throttle bodies too Smile

i suggest going for torque, meaning you need capacity, between the 4agte and the 3tgte, both are (well, the 3t can be made to be) efi, turbo and powerful, yet the 3tgte is greater in capacity.

i know of one person selling a 3tgte and one more thinking about it.

Eldar.O.
J S E
Regular

May 2005
icon14.gif  Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers 4 the gr8 help mates...

look forward to seein all the sydney members on the next cruise.
you guys have got a sound club going here, well done. keep up the good work moderators n hopefully be gettin more involved in the club.

cheers, joel
filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE 20 Valves are great engines in really light cars or cars that see a lot of track work where you can keep them in there rev range. My brother had one so I know first hand about there lack of torque. But don't get me wrong - there a great engine.

Personally I'd go for the 4AGZE (the supercharged version). Much better torque, and thats what will launch you off the line, and make it into a nice street car.

3TGTE - good engine but try to find a dizzy cap. With a better turbo, intercooler and ECU can be made go very well, but parts are very hard to get. At least the 2TG came out here in some TA22's from the factory. Yo could always build a 2TG/3T Hybrid and turbo it.

Depends if a turbo / supercharger is going to be a problem for you with insurance.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
filthman wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 17:46

At least the 2TG came out here in some TA22's from the factory.

No it didn't.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well, technically the 2TG did come out from the Toyota factory if you take into consideration the very few (6 or 7) GT TA22 Celicas that were imported in 1973/74. Mind you, I doubt many, if any, of these cars exist today.

But all the other TA22's were stock 2T engined LT variety.

Sorry Norbie, you are correct - I'm just being a pedant! Smile

seeyuzz
river
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1974 celica engine conversion Thu, 05 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous message
I was waiting for someone to pick me up on that. Razz Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need new engine for RA60