Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Wed, 04 May 2005 10:50 Go to next message
Hey all,

There wasn't a thread on this particular subject (I searched)...so...

I'd like a RWD cast manifold for a RWD 3SGTE project I'm doing. I don't want a tubular steel one as they are prone to cracking (from personal experience). If the stock manifold worked in RWD it would be perfect. I don't want more than 300Hp (flywheel) in this project, so I don't need fancy manifolds. Just something tough and reliable.

I've considered a lot of options with the standard manifold. Simply spinning the turbo 180 degrees so the inlet faces towards the front of the engine, makes the compressor housing foul the oil cooler and in general the turbo is just too close to the block.

I've thought of a spacer piece that pushes the manifold further away from the engine and using extended length studs. About 40mm or so. This would let it fit when combined with a relocated oil cooler (already doing that). However dump pipe options are stupid thanks to the bellhousing and starter location.

What are people thoughts on this idea, combined with a modified bellhousing to locate the starter on the other side?

Unless there are aftermarket cast manifolds out there for this particular application?

Cheers!

Spectral.
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Wed, 04 May 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My advice would be to go back to the tubular steel, and brace the construction. I'd also look at keep ing all the runners short to reduce the fatigue loading in the welds - you've already stated you don't want high power figures, so just focus on getting the gas to the turbo and be happy with your attempts at bracing the runners.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Wed, 04 May 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Spectral,
If you use 3mm steam pipe bends like i do with my manifolds they aren't going to crack.

If your heart is set of the stock manifold though (which is known to crack) then the other option i have used is to make an adaptor plate to the head which flips the manifold undise down and gives you a top mount setup. This is the 1st setup i ran in the 3SGTE TA22. Drop me an email off forum and i can send you some pics.

I still suggest you use a decent wall thickness tubular setup and you'll won't have any probs
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Wed, 04 May 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Justen, I'll send you email today.

However, I did consider flipping the manifold, but was concerned about the height of the turbo. You mounted your engine low and back didn't you? What sort of bonnet clearance did you get? Any problems with turbo heat affecting the bonnet?

Having it up there would be handy to clear the starter and bellhousing comfortably...

EDIT: Admittedly my experience with tubular manifolds cracking was with a custom job on my old S13 CA18DET which did not have support stays.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 23:07]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Wed, 04 May 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On this topic.. A Y series bellhousing moves the starter and clutch to the driver side, giving more room for turbo/dump etc.

But it does inherit a few new problems.. such as starter motor sitting too close to flywheel ring gear.

I'm playing around with both bellhousings at the moment deciding which one is best.

Cheers
Joel
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE Thu, 05 May 2005 21:02 Go to previous message
can't you just slot the bellhousing bolt holes a little? What sort of distance is it too close to the flywheel?

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!!
Next Topic:7MGTE overheating problem fixed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 23:51:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063669681549072 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.