Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ozaristov300
Occasional Poster

January 2005
2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 01:57 Go to next message
I'm looking for a knowledgeable and honest player in Melbourne to power up the 2JZ-GTE in my Aristo. I've grown tired of the standard "buy my $3,000 stainless steel exhaust/work of art" sales bullshit.

What's the go today for:
1. Injector control
2. Timing control
3. Boost control
4. Overboost cutout over ride
5. Exhaust design and dimensions
  Send a private message to this user    
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not in melbourne but can give you some ideas.

twin dump pipes 2.5 inch 2.75 if you can down into twin cats then merge them together into a single rear muffler or if you want to have a muffler on either side at the back. instead of merging get an x pipe put in towards the back then out into seperate mufflers.

get a norgen valve for a boost controller or if you want to get serious an Eboost.

purchase a fuel cut defender, HKS brand i have seen work the best. or you can do it the dodgy way and use a diode for about $7 from dick smith's.

assuming you have a good front mount ie 600 x 300 x90 with the exhaust and being able to run say 15 or 16 psi it shold be netting you around 230 rwkw through an auto.

if you have the sequential turbo version i would suggest getting in contact with ray hall turbo charging or ask norbie about running them in sinc with each other, ray haul did this and made great horsepower.

hope that helps.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All 2JZ's have sequential turbos. Unfortunately their proximity to each other rules out the twin dump idea as seen on 1JZ's, but even if this were possible you'd have to remove the entire sequential system as one of the exhaust control valves is integrated into the factory cast Y-pipe.

Anyway, I have an Aristo engine in my Supra and with a few cheap mods it's putting down a reliable and consistent 236kw at the wheels. Stockers seem to dyno around 180kw so this is a substantial improvement.

What I've done:
- 3" exhaust system, single muffler, high-flow cat.
- Factory dump pipe replaced with custom HPC-coated dump pipe, but retaining factory Y-pipe for reasons noted above.
- Big FMIC.
- Cheapo bleed valve, boost wound up to 17psi.
- Fuel cut defender from TRL Performance.

The FCD was about $120, bleed valve cost SFA, exhaust should cost $1-1.5k depending on quality of workmanship and materials used, and FMIC is whatever you're prepared to spend.

As for fuel/ignition control, unless you're performing serious modifications (eg upgraded turbo or big cams) I wouldn't bother, the gains just aren't worth it for the expense.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen dump pipes completed by brendan at premier exhaust newcastle on a 2j, and the guy picked up 25 rwkw with no other mods.
ozaristov300
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 13:02

What I've done:
- 3" exhaust system, single muffler, high-flow cat.
- Factory dump pipe replaced with custom HPC-coated dump pipe, but retaining factory Y-pipe for reasons noted above.
- Big FMIC.
- Cheapo bleed valve, boost wound up to 17psi.
- Fuel cut defender from TRL Performance.

The FCD was about $120, bleed valve cost SFA, exhaust should cost $1-1.5k depending on quality of workmanship and materials used, and FMIC is whatever you're prepared to spend.

As for fuel/ignition control, unless you're performing serious modifications (eg upgraded turbo or big cams) I wouldn't bother, the gains just aren't worth it for the expense.

Norbie

Excuse my ignorance here, but can you clarify a few things for me.

1. I need to put the car up on a hoist to confirm, but there is a large single exhaust pipe (say 3") running from the turbo area to what I suspect is the cat (say under the centre console), then twin pipes (say 2.25") to twin rear mufflers. Which part is the dump pipe? When you say custom, other than HPC, what changes did you make? Wouldn't twin 2.25" pipes flow more air than a single 3"?

2. What does a bleed valve look like, where do I buy it and where does it go?

3. The Aristo has a habit of dumping boost and retarding the timing by 45 degrees when it's hot or after a long drive. I suspect its being tripped by a knock sensor because the computer is going for too much advance initially, then over-correcting. I always run BP Ultra 98 but the car is tuned for 101 in Japan. Only guessing though. This is why I was thinking timing control.

Thanks (as always)
Wayne

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 05:28]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. The dump pipe goes from the Y-pipe (cast iron piece between the turbos) to the cat. Frankly I wouldn't recommend upgrading the dump pipe because you will have problems with boost creep. I had problems with mine and had to install a 2.5" restrictor in the end of the dump pipe, thus defeating the purpose of getting a dump pipe in the first place. Keep your stock dump pipe, just get a high-flow 3" cat and 3" system past that.

And before you ask, boost creep occurs when the wastegate cannot flow enough exhaust gas to keep boost under control. Unfortuantely the 2JZ has only one wastegate and it's too small.

2. It looks like a small pneumatic valve and you can get one anywhere that sells turbo accessories. You can probably even get them at Autobarn these days.

3. What you're experiencing there is heatsoak. Your stock intercooler is good at removing heat from the inlet charge but not so good at shedding heat into the airstream. The result is increasing inlet temps as you get the engine on boost, and of course hot weather only makes it worse. High inlet temps = detonation = ignition retard. The solution is to replace your stock cooler with a good FMIC, the bigger the better.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE gurus in Melbourne Thu, 05 May 2005 06:23 Go to previous message
if money is no issue *dreams of that day* your first stop would be a motec for most of what you have listed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:head gasket on 4agze (stadard or copper)
Next Topic:commodore struts in RA40?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:11:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050430297851562 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.