Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Petes76celica
Regular

August 2004
18RG electronic ignition Mon, 14 March 2005 11:03 Go to next message
hi i have a queery i am unsure of how to go hooking up the electronic dizzy and making my engine RGU instead of RG i have all of the parts coil resistor ignitor and of course the dizzy if someone could emial me a pic of how it is wired up it would be appreciated.
Pete
  Send a private message to this user    
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Mon, 14 March 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petes76celica wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 22:03

making my engine RGU instead of RG

Rolling Eyes

"U" stands for jap spec emisiion control

which is; lower compression (8.7:1) and smaller profile cams...although they have bigger valves and ports

18RGU = 135hp

18RG = 145hp

Rolling Eyes

electronic ignition is straight foward...two wires coming out of dizzy, go to the igniter, then a negative from the ignitor goes to the "-" on the coil....and the positive from ure ignition switch goes to the "+" on the coil

presto

brett
Petes76celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Mon, 14 March 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so its just the ignition wire wat about the the other wires that connect on the standard dizzy not the end were the spark lead but the other is that meant to go on the resistor.
Pete
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Mon, 14 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
two wires come out of the dizzy (not the spark plug lead), they connect to the 2 wires in the ignitor. the ignitor sits on top of the coil and delivers the "pulses" of "negative" to the coil....it connects to negative on coil. no resistor is needed. then positive from ignition goes to "positive" on coil

brett
Petes76celica
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Mon, 14 March 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so that means that i am only connecting the ignition wire and the wire that were on there are not need and then can be taped up.
TurboRA40
Regular

March 2005
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Fri, 29 April 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just attempted to fit an 18RGEU dizzy and ignitor etc to my 18RG and was wondering if you got yours sorted? The stock 18RGEU ignition does have a resistor also which I assume should be hooked up as normal ie ignition switch to +ve on resistor (also goes to ignitor for supply assumedly) -ve of resitor goes to +ve on coil where also there should be a start switch wire (or 2?)which gives direct battery conection during engine cranking. The -ve coil is connected to ignitor as well as tacho signal wire and air con (if you have it). And of course the two wires from the dizzy connect to the ignitor as explained previously.

I assume (hoping) this is correct and will be able to test as soon as my battery has enough charge to (hopefully) start my engine.

Cheers
Glen.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Fri, 29 April 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the setup on mine..you can also use a 22RE coil/ignighter assy incase you burn it out Razz
TurboRA40
Regular

March 2005
Re: 18RG electronic ignition Thu, 05 May 2005 06:42 Go to previous message
Got my 18RGEU ignition working fine. Still have one issue though. Seems my tacho signal is a bit screwy. Gets up to about 4000 rpm and thats as far as it will go? The tacho is hooked up as per the points style directly to the -ve on the coil so should be working. I suspect there may be a suppressor hooked up incorrectly effecting the signal at higher rpm but haven't checked as yet.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:22mm oil resistant pipe
Next Topic:head gasket on 4agze (stadard or copper)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 13:10:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052027702331543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.