Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » OMFG wrong ecu?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 05:55 Go to next message
hey hey.
just got my car back from wayne park and they tell me the dood who did the engine conversion on my celsior was a total dipshit. Confused
The guy has wired the 2jz-gte engine to a 2jz-ge ecu and then when he was having problems, tried to band-aid it with greddy e-manage and apexi gear. Shocked Shocked
This is why the car is so slow. The 2nd turbo doesnt exist according to the ecu so its not opening the valve... Mad
Also the bastard doesnt have an air flow meter on it so the car is running rich as fudge (apparently almost went off the scale).

so now i was wondering how hard would it be for me to switch the ecu's over? I need an ecu for a 2jzgte auto, and an engine harness, as well as an air flow meter..
I can get by with my knowledge on engines, but i certainly aint no expert. I would like to get the pro's to do it, but if its too easy, i will definitely have a go. Confused

The car is in brissie so if anyone knows of someone GOOD who can do it for cheaper than normal i would appreciate that info.
Im far more prepared to spend the money than take it to an el cheapo guy, so i would only like to know about good mech's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated Smile
Thanks
-Aaron
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap. This is precisely why I don't take my car to a workshop for this sort of work... you can never be sure how badly they're going to screw it up. In this case, pretty fucking badly! Shocked

Anyway, switching to the proper ECU will be easy IF your wiring loom hasn't been butchered, but from memory the GE and GTE connector plugs are pretty different so it's probably been hacked to the shithouse by the arseclown who did it. Sad

If you want to compare what you have to my Aristo wiring (with correct ECU installed), that can be arranged.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe the whole 2jzge harness has been used?

Maybe look into sourcing a 2jzgte harness, and going aftermarket ecu.

btw, the 2jzge uses a MAP sensor, not an AFM.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2jzgte = coil pack, 2jzge = dizzy.

How the fuck can you run a set of coil packs of a dizzy equiped ecu?

Stick your head under the dash and see if it is a 2JZGE ecu.

And you might wanna change your sig... "Its SO DAMN FAST"
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 16:47

btw, the 2jzge uses a MAP sensor, not an AFM.

as does the JDM 2jz-gte.

I would personally go aftermarket ecu. I had wiring problems and stuck with the stock ecu in the beginning. Now I wish I would have went aftermarket back then to save getting it done twice.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 06:52]

Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well like i said, i aint no expert.
wayne park say there was no monitoring of air flow, and that the 2jzgte standard ecu would be more than fine to run it. (also im quite poor so standard = good value)
im not looking to do anything overly special with it, i just want it to work properly Smile

ps it is fast when compared to my 89 integra

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the fuel pump run constantly with the key on "ON" and the motor off?
Or does it turn off after a few secs?

No monitoring of airflow = no fuel pump = no runny, unless thats been wired dodgy too.

I'd also doubt the motor would be very drivable with no airflow metering.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel pump does turn off after engine off..
apparently the engine is just pushing as much fuel in as it can get.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still so not convinced its running on a 2jzge ecu.
Stick your head under the dash/glovebox and see whats written on the ecu.

Bodgied up 2jzgte ecu in limp home mode, yes.
2jzge ecu, not a chance.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, have a look around the engine bay for something that looks like
http://hhscott.com/93tmv/images/3BAR.gif
please.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what my Aristo ECU looks like. Note it is clearly labelled "2JZ-GT". As above, have a look at yours and see what's written on it. It should be located in the passenger side footwell.

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/TestFit/medium_Image14.jpg
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice to see you cleaned out the Macca's before beginning the conversion.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 18:22

Here's what my Aristo ECU looks like. Note it is clearly labelled "2JZ-GT". As above, have a look at yours and see what's written on it. It should be located in the passenger side footwell.

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/TestFit/medium_Image14.jpg

That wiring is a work of art Jeremy Laughing
Something ain't right, GTE = ignitor, GE = Electronic Dizzy.

So they're either running a converter (if somthing even exists) or somebody doesn't know their stuff and has mis-informed you.

You should be letting somebody who's had experience with JZ wiring take a squiz at it (Norbie has already offered) and go from there.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a little skeptical. Check the ECU. I suppose you could make a 2JZGTE run using a GE ECU but it would be very unhealthy.

I also trained at the Norbie School of Automotive Wiring. The Maccas is there for when he's hungry later on.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 18:25

Nice to see you cleaned out the Macca's before beginning the conversion.

Thats not the beginning, thats how he drives around all the time.
Its a qlder security system... nobody is going to try to flog a car thats got wiring loom all over the place!
Even if it is a 2JZGTE!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeez, and I thought my "birds nest" that drew attention at the dyno day was impressive (to the point that the dyno operator offered me a pair of sidecutters to fix things up) Razz
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you said The 2nd turbo doesnt exist according to the ecu so its not opening the valve... ???

the computer doesnt even operate the turbo's at all... (as far as i know anyway)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toobs - every now and then I actually stop and read your sig and nearly pss myself laughing Smile
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read it too, and thank whatever God I believe in, on that day, that I'm 4000Kms away!!!

I'm eagerly waiting in the shadows for the left overs if it does turn out to be an auto 2JZGE loom and computer?!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 05 May 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah! That photo was taken on the day I started the wiring... it looks much prettier now. It's amazing how much crap you can stuff behind the dash. Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Fri, 06 May 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tape is your friend Smile

i have thoughts that you COULD run the 2jzgte off the 2jzge ECU, but it would more than likely be running in base timing mode, and then hence the use of the emanage to play around with ignition timing...

myself i think this is horrid. I thought i was being dodgy running a stock 4age with a turbo on a gze ecu + emanage!!

I hope you get it all sorted. There are a few people, such as wee-man here, who are helpful enough and kind enough to lend a hand and some pointers if need be. Post some pics of the ECU wiring if you can - i wanna see what abortion has been made Razz
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Sun, 08 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dabbid wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 19:41

you said The 2nd turbo doesnt exist according to the ecu so its not opening the valve... ???

the computer doesnt even operate the turbo's at all... (as far as i know anyway)

i was told the ecu controls a valve between the 2?

anyways i checked it out, ill have to go back on monday or something because ecu is (not so clearly) marked as 2jz-gte.
wtf?

this is really starting to shit me.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Sun, 08 May 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to throw in another variable for all to think about, its got an apexi rev/speed meter (ugly prick of a thing) wired directly to the ecu. Upon removing this i tried starting the car and she did fine, nothing unusual. Revved fine too. Then i took it up the street to test it, and she wouldnt change out of 1st gear.

Someone has done some extra dodgy wiring in this car i thinks.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Sun, 08 May 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 16:24

Dabbid wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 19:41

i was told the ecu controls a valve between the 2?

anyways i checked it out, ill have to go back on monday or something because ecu is (not so clearly) marked as 2jz-gte.
wtf?

this is really starting to shit me.

Can you take a picture of the plugs on the actual ecu, that will determine if it is a 2jzgte ecu.

Another possibility, 1jzgte ecu... but im banking on 2jzgte with something dodgey.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 06:33]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Sun, 08 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like the speed sensor was going through the RSM and then to the ECU. When I had no speedo drive in the gearbox the car didn't change out of 1st gear at all.

I would have thought it should be spliced so that the it goes to both places but if one is disconnected the other still gets its signal.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a workmate (who can be VERY full of it at times) has questioned the purchase of a standard ecu. He seems to think that a 2nd hand aft/market one will be only a little more expensive but will be much better. of all areas in automobilia this is the one i know least about, and it just happens to be the one im having probs with Embarassed
anyways if i do end up having to buy a new ecu, what do you guys think? will the aft/market one be much better? im not planning to have a race car or anything, but im sure id have fun screwing around with it if i could change a fw things.

if aft/mark is the shizzle, what brands should i look out for (keeping in mind im a student and have little available cash for splashing - but for the right stuff i will always splurge)

thanks
-A
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go standard unless - you'll get better fuel economy, it'll plug straight in, and it'll handle 250+rwkw easily (just dont do sticking on giant honking turbos without a clip-on or standalone ecu)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find out what is wrong before you do anything.

Take it to a few more places, pay a few ppl to have a look.

Nothing you have said thus far actually make sense.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^
what he said. it would really suck to fork out for a new ecu and find out that it was just a sensor that was fuggered, or the loom itself was just shoddily put together (altogether possible by the sound of things)
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 19:21

Find out what is wrong before you do anything.

Take it to a few more places, pay a few ppl to have a look.

Nothing you have said thus far actually make sense.

rest assured, im not fantastic wit dis area, but not retarded either Smile
im taking it back to wayne park in the next 2 days so the guy can explain to me why the ecu (which is supposedly a 2jzge) has a 2jzgte label on it. And why i paid him to tell me something which is seeming further from the truth every minute.
i wont buy anything unless there is an overwhelming argument with supporting evidence that the problem is as im told. i was just asking hypothetically.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you are going down the right path.

Keep on this track, its a good one.

Also ask him why he thinks there is no air metering, if he says because there is no AirFlow Meter, as him if he knows what a MAP sensor is.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and then demand your money back
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Mon, 09 May 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does this wayne park dude have the internet by any chance ? lol cos i'd love to see his face if he found this thread! Laughing then also realise that everyone that reads it will NEVER go to his shop again unless he fixes Dr loves car muahahaha im a bastard haha good luck with it man, if worst comes to worst, ask someone like norbie to look at it, even take him down for words with Mr park lol

peace
wes
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay some further explanation..

i checked the ecu again..

its a 2jz GT (not ge like i was told initially) mix up with letters began the whole argument Mad
(when i checked the first time i just looked for the 't' Embarassed )

anyways, the guy says he works on the twin turbo supras, and theyve always had afm's on them, as well as map sensors. My understanding of what he told me is that the map sensor is more for fine tuning of the a/f mix? (i may have misunderstood this part - bad ph line) The main point that he was trying to get across was that it is the only one he's seen w/out an afm.

He's going to tune the emanage for me to try to get the a/f mixture a little better until i get the new ecu & harness.

Speaking of which anyone know where to get em?

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:20]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
American 2JZGTE's use a MAF from memory, but all Japanese models don't use an AFM, just MAP. I think the dude is going loco.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally I wouldn't let him touch the car.

If you DO let him tune it, make sure you save the original emanage maps to a file before they go to town on it so you can revert if they stuff it up.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:24]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the car elsewhere.
If someone doesn't have the capacity to understand the most basic of engine functions (ie AFM/MAP/MAF) then they most certainly shouldn't be tuning it.

Thats my view of the subject anyway.
Some one who can tune, should also be able to wire up an ecu.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFM is the last of my worries. If it needs one, it needs one if it doesnt, it doesnt. Im not too worried about it atm, i just want my ecu.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 11:25

AFM is the last of my worries. If it needs one, it needs one if it doesnt, it doesnt. Im not too worried about it atm, i just want my ecu.

You're missing the point. The car isn't supposed to have an AFM, and he reckons every one he's seen has had one. By extrapolation, he doesn't know shit, and I'd be taking it somewhere else.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have a 2JZ GT ecu... which is the right ECU for the motor already... Shouldn't be hard for someone familar with toyota electicals to track down the source of your problems.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a 2jzgte
does that not require a 2jzgte ecu?

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:45]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 11:39

ive got a 2jzgte

Thank you for stating the obvious. Toyota just don't write the E on their ECU's. Seriously dude, you have the correct ECU. If it plugs into the loom it should be right.

Take it to someone who knows what they are talking about to sort it out.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 13:43

Dr_Love wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 11:39

ive got a 2jzgte

Thank you for stating the obvious. Toyota just don't write the E on their ECU's. Seriously dude, you have the correct ECU. If it plugs into the loom it should be right.

Take it to someone who knows what they are talking about to sort it out.

this is fucked Mad

Norbie, expect a call on sunday, and we'll go from there. Thanks everyone for offering your expert advice, now i have to go and blow the shit out of them Confused

just a thought though, is there a difference between auto& manual (within the ecu)?

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:51]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes there is an internal different between the AUTO and MANUAL ecu's..... the auto ecu will usually have a few wires/signals that go between the ECU and the AUTO computer to control the gearshifts in the gearbox.

When you unplugged your speed limiter thingy, this removed the signals between the ecu and auto computer, such that the gearbox was not being told to shift gears, and was thus stuck in 1st.

YOu have the correct ECU already. Stick with it, get it checked out by someone in the know with Toyota engines and ECUs - enthusiasts with skills and experience are often better than workshops with poo dribbling from their mouths. I would NOT take the car anywhere near this bloke who rekons there is supposed to be an air flow meter on the engine. He is clearly insane, retarded, and has more shit coming out of his mouth than comprehendable sentences.

Check your ECu again to see if it also says the following:
"A/T" or "M/T" - these stand for automatic and manual transmission respectively.

If you have an ECU which also has "A/T" plastered on it somewhere, then there is NO REASON someone cant fix up the wiring, and get that emanage working properly. I rekon this douche has gone and FUBAR-ed your wiring and tried to blame the japs.....

If you are really keen, bring the car to sydney, or wait until Queens birthday long weekend when i am in brisbane for All Toyota Day... i will gladly help out then for a nominal beer/food charge depending on how much FUBAR wiring there is. I'll make Norbie help too Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Between Witzl and I there's nothing we can't acheive. There may be brackets involved.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 21:36

Between Witzl and I there's nothing we can't acheive. There may be brackets involved.

And zip ties.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Wed, 11 May 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and a few WST's, electrical tape, swearing, beer, cigarettes, and eventually solutions to problems Smile

I need some new WST's actually Razz
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i might just wait until the q's bday hols, that sounds far better in terms of entertainment and cost Smile

when is q's bday?
(pick the american calendar that only has thnksgvng and independnc day hols not q's bday and labour day)
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 23:24

and a few WST's, electrical tape, swearing, beer, cigarettes, and eventually solutions to problems Smile

wtf are wst's? (excuse my ignorance)
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't wanna know....
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Click the W S T ! link in The Witzl's sig. It will reveal all. Confused

Edit: I can't spell Embarassed

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:19]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll be up north from 10-14th June... that is the long weekend extended Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Thu, 12 May 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teh Witzl meets Dr Love... a match made in heaven? Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: OMFG wrong ecu? Fri, 13 May 2005 07:21 Go to previous message
Dr_Love wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 10:48

THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 23:24

wtf are wst's? (excuse my ignorance)

i can personally recomend WST-017.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v AE86 Accelerator cable?
Next Topic:testing o2 sensor? (1JZ)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 15:47:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011484146118164 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.