Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boog
Regular

April 2005
aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 08:51 Go to next message
i have a 1ggze charger sitting here im sure the front clutch is roooted when it comes on boost it makes a hell of a noise so i was thinking about trying to sorse a atfermarket pulley without the clutch in it and run it all the time is that dangerous or would it be ok ??? i havent had to much to do with them ?
anyone with experience would be much appriciated . thanks catch ya.
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people say that it will burn the supercharger out but hey if its allready half fucked who gives a rats. in any case another second hand one is just 350 buks
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sentiments exactly Very Happy where am i likeky to find a pulley like that ????
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no idea about that sorry
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you just weld it?
Toy510
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of boost are you looking at running..

I have a a pulley that removes the clutch setup on the s/c. It uses the front section of the clutch with slight modification to atatch the pulley to, and made about 15psi on intercooled 1GGZE engine. I had this setup running hard for a period of about 3 months, until the auto gearbox started slipping badly because of the increased torque it produced.

The pulley is about 75mm in diameter also.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that just a case of tacking the clutch to the pulley ???? is that safe Rolling Eyes has any1 done anything like this before???
Toy510
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it bolts to the pulley
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant see why the supercharger would burn out if it was on all the time i mean its on most of the time when your driving arround the city i guess it would wear quicker
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it wouldnt necesarily burn out a lot of misinformed people like to spread that rumour. i had a sold pulley on my s/c and it had been that way for 8 years before i got hold of it, then i ran it for another coupla years no troubles. the s/c never had any problems and still isnt having problems in the back of some guys beetle. as mentioned s/c's are cheap anyway, so even if you replaced it every couple of years the power benefits are worth the money.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont no bout the boost yet but it will be straped on to a preaty much stock 4age ??? its ported and polished and it runs an haltek engine management so it can be tuned properelly but will it run or will it just arsehole the engine.......???
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt hurt if you use a thicker metal headgasket to drop the compression a bit.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using a thicker headgasket is a bandaid solution. Do it right or don't bother imho.
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i no it is a bandaid solution and why fix what isnt broken Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad il worry bout that when i get to it
also the 4age is a bullet proof engine i had a 100kw one with 300,000klm's on it and i still flogged the arse off it, 8000rpm every gear ????? its only nuts and bolts when it brakes i put a bigger and better one in there...... what you think ??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but thats without boost. a ge can take boost if tuned well and not overdone.

hydra, i wasnt suggesting a thicker headgasket was gonna make it safe i was just suggesting that while he had the head off and needed to replace the headgasket to use a thicker one since i thought it was obvious from his post he wasnt going to properly prepare the engine for boost.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree but people like feral are running a stock 4age except for thiker head gasket and a w/a i/c and stock gze computer and gze knock sensor with 12 psi of boost its making about 120 atw still goes strong is flogged all the time.

Yeah i think the s/c burning out if its on all the time is an old wifes tale
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myth busted!
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds like fun what the hell im doin it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the guy i sold my s/c to would gimme my 15psi solid pulley back you could have a look being local and all, but alas it is yet to be returned Sad
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Thu, 05 May 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thick headgasket = creating a weak point in the engine. If you want to lower compression you SHOULD use different pistons. I really don't care how you go about it, it's your engine Smile

I also believe it usually "breaks", unless you are referring to the things that stop the car Smile
boog
Regular

April 2005
Re: aftermarket pulley with no clutch Fri, 06 May 2005 08:20 Go to previous message
thanks evosti that sounds sweet 15psi may be a bit much but hey what the hell its only goin to blow up Laughing Laughing will still be fun while it lasts......
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:more steering angle on AE86
Next Topic:alternator - where is the sensor that tells it how much to put out?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 10:37:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058557987213135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.