Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 01:58 Go to next message
hey fellas,

well u all gave me so much info about the 7mgte in a mx13.....

well im thinking that the 7mgte will be lagging behind...in regard to power....

been doing quite a bit of research and have realised that i would need to spend a great sum of $0000 to get a 7mgte to a 2jzgte level (237 hp to 320 hp) but then spend more on the conversion of a 2j,

found 7mgte's for around $1200 and the 2jzgtes for anywhere $3500 - $8000 (depending on auto or 6 spd!)

has anyone done a 2j in a MX13? and what probs would i hit?

and could you recomend a workshop in sydney that i should have a talk to? (that u recomend (dont want a bullshit shop like ultratune! Very Happy ))

(ive been reading ZOOM and IMPORT magazines that last cople of weeks, and just want to know who u guys would recomend for a conversion?)

cheers again fellas Very Happy

blake Razz

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear turbo will hit steering box. Solution is rack and pinion steering conversion, single turbo or a modified exhaust manifold so that the rear turbo doesn't foul.

Modify JZA80 sump or use aa JZS131 sump.

V160 box will have a little trouble fitting in the tunnel and the shifter will probably interfere with the handbrake. The very early MX10s have a pull type handbrake (like old Ford Falcons) so source one of those.
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
giantomato, what have you got in your rona?,

and is that your 2 door in your avatar? (if so...looks sweet!)

just curious as u know so much bout these little beasts!,

and so a single turbo conversion will clear the standard steering box?

engine mounts will be a custom job aswell?

cheers,

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could consider the late model VVTi 1JZ-GTE which is single turbo from factory, it should clear the steering box u might only have to have the oxy sensor moved.

yep the mounts will need to be custom but thats not hard to do.

driving my MX23 i dont have much confidence with the feel and feedback in the factory steering system.

with an engine like the 2JZ on the cards i would look into rack an pinion set up. especially if your spending the extra money to put a single turbo and associated bits onto 2JZ.

if dave doesnt reply he has a 2JZ-GE in his MX23 and it is the one in his avatar, and how he manages to race with the factory corona seats i dont know Eye Spin
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure you budget for some serious brake and suspension upgrades if you're planning to swap in a turbo six. The stock setup is borderline even with the 4M, but triple the power and it's a recipe for disaster.

Also make sure you double your estimate for how much it's going to cost. Engine conversions like this are invariably far more costly than you imagine.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ja ja listen to norbie, do a heap of research and budgeting, then go and help others to do their engine conversions and pick up tips along the way. get your hands dirty and people are always looking for extra help with their projects. helping others with similar projects will give u an idea of the scope of the project your considering to take on.

usually when the question "can i put a 2JZ into this?" is asked i think to myself, if you need to ask the question then your not ready to undertake a project like this.

else u can pay someone to do it for u but u will have to save up eleventy billion dollars.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 2JZGE in my Corona.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20intake%20side.jpg

You'll need a lot of stuff to make the conversion happen. I was just pointing out the major obstacles in my first reply. Engine and gearbox mounts, wiring, EFI fuel setup, adequate cooling are other obstacles you'll need to overcome, but these are generic to any late model engine retrofit.

But before you undertake this sort of project, chat to your engineer regarding what other stuff might be needed (brakes, suspension, etc). A conversion rarely costs the price of the halfcut and a tank of fuel.

The steering box can be made to work nicely if you don't overly assist it and dial in a stack of caster.
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barkes will be upgraded b4 the new motr will be fitted, so when im ready to fit it, the brakes, suspension, exhaust, wide 14" tytres will have all been upgraded to make the conversion easier,

im slowly doing things as i can afford it at the moment,

so far the car is still stock...besides a smaller steering wheel, (as the boat size one didnt make turning easy!)

fark dave....thats neat!!!!

what brakes are you using aswell?

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want decent brakes i'd be going for 16inch tyres. 15's at least
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

im actually a 1st yr apprentice mech....and have been playing around with mini's for a few years..(almost finished my supercharged 1100 van!)

anyway..not afraid of getting hands dirty, im new to toyotas, and just after advice,

i see your still using the stock master cylinder and booster with ur 2jz...(by the look of it anyway,)
and radiator is that a stokie aswell,

ps, those throttle bodies look neat!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are my brakes:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/brakes1.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/brakes2.jpg
330mm 28mm thick Mustang Cobra rotors with APRacing CP5200 calipers.
Rears are 307mm 18mm thick LS400 rotors with ST205 calipers.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/rotor%20and%20caliper.jpg
Stops well from 200 kph (repeatedly).

Stock master cylinder is 15/16" and works fine.

Stock radiator is OK too, but remember this is NA. You'll be turbo and have a big intercooler out the front (which reminds me, there's not a lot of room out there for a really big one). An 80 series Landcruiser 4 core radiator is the same size so that's a potential upgrade.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave, I would very much be liking to know where your car is parked at night - I want to steal your brakes.

AP racing ffs!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 19:44

AP racing ffs!

For when it absolutely positively has to stop every time. It's fantastic for out braking stuff at the end of straights.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 16:31

Here are my brakes:

*SNIP*
Surprised Surprised Surprised
Bloody Show off Shocked Shocked Shocked

lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Fri, 06 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shite!!!....they only just clear your rims....

are they 15 or 16",

also gone to a 5 stud instead of 4,

have you had your car dynoed?

where did u get the brakes from?....where they a kit or a custom job?

cheers dave,

blake Shocked
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Sat, 07 May 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock motor with ITBs and extractors rolled 148 rwkW. It's a handful with just that little bit of power - I can't imagine what a slightly modified 2JZGTE would be like.
Brakes were a custom jobbie. They just sneak in under the 16" rims.
Yep 5 stud - MS65 Crown hubs and Hilux diff at the rear (Ford stud pattern so plenty of wheels). 16 x 7 rims with a +40 offset.
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 2JZGTE in a MX13 rona.... Sat, 07 May 2005 03:50 Go to previous message
148rwkw! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

hahaha, thats awsome!!!!!

ive already found some 16" to go on, now just gottta save $$$ for some brakes,

sweet,

blake
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:when should my engine stop reving??
Next Topic:4AGE head work
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 03:24:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056400299072266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.