Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 05 May 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EFI Automotives in Balcatta is where I get my injectors cleaned.
Last time it cost me $100 to get all 8 1uz plugs cleaned, and thats with new top and bottom seals.
I think its normally about $16-$19 an injector though.

New o2, just go into Repco.
Take yours in.
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Thu, 05 May 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that.
Cheers,
Mitch.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stupid f**king piece of snot. Went to pull the plugs out to regap them yesterday, noticed that the leads on plugs 4 and 6 were loose as anything. Thought, oh goodie, a possible solution to the problem.

Took them home, regapped them, went to the workshop in high spirits. Put the plugs in, put the leads on, all nice and tight. Reversed it out. Bam, no change in the f'ing problem. Urge to kill rising...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and it's now throwing code 24, the air temp sensor in AFM. It might've been from when I unplugged it, so next time I go i'm going to clear it and see if it comes back.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 03:11]

Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering its a turbo engine, i dont think its running rich, at least not as rich to cause the problems ur describing, i rather think its running lean, or in other words it just dont get enough fuel. I aleays been told turbo engines are better off running way too rich, than running lean, but this might be a myth?

just to throw it in here.. are you 110% sure the firering order is correct? its worth checking, double checking even tripple cheking it.

you say u have big enough fuel lines, are they the original lines? if not, are you sure the tank gets enough air to let the gas run thru? try run it with the gas cap off.

did ur fuel pump run with the engine u use now? or a simular one? you probably already know this, but there are some engines that requires higher pressure from the fuelpumps than others

you said you have replaced the ecu and map ( or what was it again ), that made me think, with many toyota engines there are diffrences on the ecu and some other components, about when the injectors should open/shoot, i know you can get very strange behavour from getting a generation ecu with the rest of ur electrical system, you said you checked the ecu number on the yota part list, but are you completely sure its not from another generation engine anyway?

was just anouther thougth, i dont even know if your engine came in diffrent generations, but you probably do Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay...here goes.

Ta22lover wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 11:28

Considering its a turbo engine, i dont think its running rich, at least not as rich to cause the problems ur describing, i rather think its running lean, or in other words it just dont get enough fuel. I aleays been told turbo engines are better off running way too rich, than running lean, but this might be a myth?

Toyota turbo engines with factory ECU's tend to run f'ing rich as on boost. I'm not sure whether mine is doing this until I get the AF ratios checked out.

just to throw it in here.. are you 110% sure the firering order is correct? its worth checking, double checking even tripple cheking it.

110% sure it's right. Idles too smooth to be incorrect.

you say u have big enough fuel lines, are they the original lines? if not, are you sure the tank gets enough air to let the gas run thru? try run it with the gas cap off.

Definetly big enough. My car shouldn't be making any more than the 130rwkw mark as is, and everyone else is making far more power than me.

did ur fuel pump run with the engine u use now? or a simular one? you probably already know this, but there are some engines that requires higher pressure from the fuelpumps than others

No, the fuel pumps I've tried are the original ones from my 1GEU and a 5MGEU. Both are the same pump, and many people before me have used them to great success with engines with more power than mine, including 1GGTE's.

you said you have replaced the ecu and map ( or what was it again ), that made me think, with many toyota engines there are diffrences on the ecu and some other components, about when the injectors should open/shoot, i know you can get very strange behavour from getting a generation ecu with the rest of ur electrical system, you said you checked the ecu number on the yota part list, but are you completely sure its not from another generation engine anyway?

I didn't replace the AFM and ECU. They were bought as part of an engine package, and in between me getting the engine then asking for the AFM and ECU, the originals were sold. They sent me out replacements which match up to the EPC for my Gen2 1GGTE.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 13:03

Oh, and it's now throwing code 24, the air temp sensor in AFM. It might've been from when I unplugged it,

It will be from the last time you unplugged it to have a look, so you will obviously need to clear the code.

I'm not putting too much money on the mismatched ECU - AFM theory either, especially when you have made sure your gear matches and suits your engine.

And I don't suspect your fuel pump is the culprit either - I'm starting to think leaky injectors.....

Did you say before if you had the injectors tested, cleaned and balanced and new seals and baskets fitted ?

If not do you want to join me for a group deal somewhere to get all our injectors done ? I have to do this with my car now, as my fuel pressure was checked and found to be 100% on factory spec.....so about the only thing I have left to check is injectors and test another O2 sensor. Let me know.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, got mine done where Peewee suggested, they were all fine. And they gave new seals. One has a *slight* leak I've noticed, going to try and sort it out over weekend. Only rear, so easy to get to still.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a note on the Turbo lean/rich thing

It's probably common place knowledge here, but I'll put the 2c in anyway

Turbo engine run's lean, Turbo spools up REAL fast because they get HEAPS hotter when they run lean. Hence why the ECU's run them lean, and obviously for the knock avoidance effect.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but have you had it dyno tuned/checked? Because it may well be running far to rich.

But ofcourse far too rich can also produce heaps of black smoke.

Another thing I found with my car was that a 'less than enthusiastic' running of the engine can be caused by an under powered spark. A particular point to note was when I changed my leads from the standard toyota ones to new custom ones. The energy with which the motor ran and the increased throttle response was incredible.

My impression from that was that if you ran a motor without sufficient spark energy, it may also feel like it's running rich.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 16:48

One has a *slight* leak I've noticed,

Fair enough.

Tell me how you are able to identify a leaking injector as I would like to test mine ....

Thanks.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a tiny amount that pools in the head near the injector.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evil jack had quite a bit of problems with a dodgy gen 1 or 2.. leads and rotor etc.. ran like crap..
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, their standard ignition systems aren't really that crash hot.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Fri, 06 May 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taking spare dizzy with me when we go troubleshoot at Peewee's. Even if it's not right, if we get a change, we'll know the problem is in that area.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Sun, 08 May 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ignition seems fine, but it still seems wrong. We double-checked the timing was right, and not off a tooth. We changed the dizzy to the one JMS sent me, and no change. I now know off-boost performance is bad, relative to the Celica, anything is good.

Current theory is either the ECU has got a few issues, or a valve is stuck open on one of the cylinders. Going to do a compression test to check. If you remember what it was like, it could be interesting.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Sun, 08 May 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Compression test is fine.
All around 150mark stone cold.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Sun, 08 May 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F'ing piece of f'ing shit.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's got a fucked injector, it's got a fucked injector, it's got a fucked injector Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Well, don't have a clue why, but somewhere in between getting them cleaned and checked, an injector has decided to poop itself. Fully open circuit. If it wasn't for the random thought of Peewee to start pulling the spark plugs to see what happened. Pulled the one for cylinder 2, and nada.

Ah well, wish we'd found out BEFORE we'd taken the timing belt off to redo it all just in case. Doesn't matter Very Happy I'm happy now.

Watch out for the OMFGWTFBBQ!!!111oneoneone...I can swear it's coming.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboooot time

fucking injectors
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL injectors teh bane ov teh superfriend's conversions!

i had a dodgey injector on the 1G
and ed had one on his 7M-GAY as well

"TO THE OBSERVATORY! WE ARE THE SUPERFRIENDS"
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear that you found the problem. I'm looking forward to that type of shite in the future !!!!

Can't wait to see how it would go now !!

Cheers

Michael B
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great to here thatyou found the problem - well done !

Can't help but recall that I asked you about the injectors a few posts back....... Smile

Has it failed as a result of picking up some gunk/filings in the line/tank ? Or was it leaking off cycle ?

I will have my injectors off shortly to get tested and refurbished as well, and I hope they find a similar problem......
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knew you guys could relate to that problem! Laughing

ra23celica wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 06:35

Can't help but recall that I asked you about the injectors a few posts back....... Smile

Has it failed as a result of picking up some gunk/filings in the line/tank ? Or was it leaking off cycle ?

Haha, yes you did, and I replied with the fact they'd all been check, were clean, and were working. That other injector that was weeping a little has stopped now by the looks of it. Don't think it's failed because of that, it's electrical. The injector has gone open circuit, don't think it's just blocked.

Ah well, up side of all of this is that I know the condition of everything in the engine before I really got to use the engine.

Damn 1G, it's still smoother than the damn 21R-C when it's running on only 5 cylinders!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 09:32

Damn 1G, it's still smoother than the damn 21R-C when it's running on only 5 cylinders!

Ain't that the damn truth brother ! When a 1G is on and running nicely, its rock solid steady, and if you were as deaf as a post, you would swear that its not even turned on.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Mon, 09 May 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 07:47

justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 09:32

Ain't that the damn truth brother ! When a 1G is on and running nicely, its rock solid steady, and if you were as deaf as a post, you would swear that its not even turned on.....

Thats the thing. Rev it to a couple of thousand revs and look under the bonnet, and you'd struggle to see it's running Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't it nice when things just...work?

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/engine .avi (~2MB)

Still uber rich at idle, couple of little pops, think someones been dicking around with the AFM idle screw or that out of range voltage is having an influence. Still, not bad considering the combo of 20yo engine mounts, the angle the engine sits and the fact we couldn't find a flat spot to sit it Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds sweet dude.....

Who are the voices at the start - you and CrUZsida ? Reminds me of the old Batman series....."Atomic batteries to power......turbines to speed"

Edit: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Chase down the richness at idle by adjusting (slowly) the AFM screw while you have a CO sniffer up the bum, and that should fix it nicely.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:59]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats us two. I've still got this stupid grin on my face. I'll take the car around to mechanics and adjust the idle later on.

Now, tomorrows task, sticking the brakes on so I can take it for a drive.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing like the stupid grin on your dial when you have a major win with the car..... Smile

I found the original 6 spark plugs from my engine tonight, and one of those was uber black while most of the others were a rusty brown colour. I did have them laid out in cylinder order but my kids have been playing in the garage and used them as 'rocket-satellites' or some stupid thing....but anyway I think I have found a leaking injector as well.

Time to borrow a good multimeter and do some testing.....

And you should have done the brakes a long time before you got the engine sorted....!!!! Rolling Eyes

Edit: Sez me who did the brake upgrade first and saved the boring engine part till last.....

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:12]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It had brakes up till now, but I needed to get the car to CrUZsidas to swap the rear subframe over. We had to drain the fluid when we did.

Tomorrow it gets the R32 Skyline fronts with the other pair of Tokico shocks and Kings springs.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good - you have an engineer lined up - yes ?

Any thoughts about some track time at MC Motorsports at the airport later this year ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going to go with Jack Apgar like CrUZsida, he's already familiar with our brakes, and seems like a decent enough bloke.

MC is definetly on my list of things I want to do, I just need to get the car finished and on the road now.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All sounds good mate - and congrats again on sorting the problem out - I learned stuff about my car at the same time too.

Have you heard if you got that job from the interview the other day ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was the best thing, I know a heap more about my engine, and I know the current state of just about everything.

As for job...shutdown, and I still haven't found out why Crying or Very Sad
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Tue, 10 May 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Driven Project Decade...but it ain't all right... Wed, 11 May 2005 00:21 Go to previous message
Bugman wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 07:37

yay

Haha, no shit. It was funny actually, when I put the rail down after swapping the injector, we triggered the AFM to make the fuel pump work. No leaky. Turned it on, and there was a slight sound of an air leak.

Idle going up, going down, all sorts of stuff. Running rough still. CrUZsida got big screwdriver listening to injectors clicking, and touching #3 would make a weird sound, he played with it a bit more, it moved, the air leak stopped and so did all the vibration Laughing
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Differential problem.
Next Topic:4age not starting - injectors not pulsing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:42:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082550048828125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.