Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
icon5.gif  AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Fri, 06 May 2005 10:12 Go to next message
Putting all new (longer) studs at both ends of my AE92 (drum rear). Has anyone got any tips or things I should be careful of?
Has anyone got a workshop diagram for the rear end?

Cheers,
Julian.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:15]

Send a private message to this user    
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Sat, 07 May 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I am wanting to do the same thing. Where did you get the longer studs and how much longer are they. What was the cost if you don't mind telling me.

thanks,

Ty
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
Re: AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Sat, 07 May 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ty,

I got the studs through a mates brother who works for a parts wholesaler. The brand is NICE PRODUCTS, part number NS381. Its a stud and nut assembly and they cost 4.50 each. Autobarn were going to charge me 5.50 for just the stud.
I think the original stud is 40mm and these new ones are 47.8 or something, all of the critical dimension are exactly the same.
Doing the rear was easy. wheel off, drum off, hammer out old studs and put new ones in. Make sure you are feeling strong because it takes considerable effort to tighten the new studs enough to pull the head right up to the hub.
Fronts were a little more finnicky, first of all take the wheel off and then you've got to take the two 17mm caliper bolts off but take the caliper and disc off in one piece as this will save you having to frig around trying to get the pads back over the disc again. hammer the old studs out. You will notice a cutout in the disc shroud towards the back of the car that allows enough room to remove the stud. This cutout doesn't provide enough room for your new longer stud though. I got out the tin snips and cut out a small section at the front end of the shroud where there is already a little recess (you'll see what i mean) and this gave me enough room to get my stud in. then put the wheel back on nd tighten the stud, much effort again. Took me about 2.5 hrs cause i didn't know what i was doing.

All this just so i can fit a set of 15" steelies from the current corolla. I have 195/50's fitted and will need to use 6mm spacers all round.

cheers,
Julian.
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Sat, 07 May 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I will probably only do the rear. i want to increase the rear track width. need to do some more research though.

Ty
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Sat, 07 May 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using the "inscisor" alloys off the current model rolla on stock AE92 studs etc... 195/50/15 I think are the tyres. I have about 1.5-2mm clearance between the rear struts and the tyre sidewall.

I understand your wanting to move them out further Laughing
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: AE92 - Installing new wheel studs, any pitfalls to watch out for? Mon, 09 May 2005 07:40 Go to previous message
Thats the same brand im using , just a note i found out that 15inch rims off a eunos 30x fits but it will have to be spaced out then you get 205/50x15!!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hilux auto to manual
Next Topic:Article - Putting S13 susp into AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:02:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043351650238037 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.