Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 05:11 Go to next message
"The RTA says speed is a contributing factor in 42 per cent of road fatalities. Within those speed-related deaths, however, 31 per cent involved a drunk driver, 20 per cent involved a person who failed to wear a seatbelt (or a motorcycle helmet) and 12 per cent involved an unlicensed driver. People who make bad decisions in relation to risk often die on the road." (source: smh)

so speed alone is a factor in about 15% of total road fatalities. Makes the figure a lot less impressive, doesn't it?

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 05:12]

Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
focus less on speeding, more on defensive driving and advanced technique.
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roads that don't resemble goat tracks would go a long way in helping too!!

Me and a mate are always towing our car trailer around picking up bits and pieces, but yesterday was the first time I'd been on the M5 with it, and fuck it was bad, not so bad if your just in a car, but even in a truck the M5 is a shocker, the way the road dips and rises, bloody shocking. Shocked
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They have been fudging the numbers for a long time.
Even if an acco report says you where speeding for the conditions yet still below the legal limit then it is considered speed related.
Besides that is the easiest to fine us for and make a shitload of money from so they keep ramming it down our throats and booking anyone and everyone.
Fucking gov.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id just like an extra 42% of people to have the ability to merge,It absolutely amazes me how many people think if they just keep following the line on the left everythimg will just work out fine,,that and im not being racist in any way but asians should have to be on their L's for an extra 6 months!!Please asian dudes I dont mean any offence but even my asian mates shake their heads at their parents/relos Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe, ask max what he thinks of his older rellies Smile
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drink and dont drive, you legend. Wink
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indians are the new Asian. commonly seen in camry's, can be distinguished from senior citizens with their tissue boxes on parcel shelf instead of lawn bowls hat.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:00

Indians are the new Asian. commonly seen in camry's, can be distinguished from senior citizens with their tissue boxes on parcel shelf instead of lawn bowls hat.

hahah always in camrys and always that pale yellow colour! Very Happy
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:00

ahahaaa sooo true......although my experiences have been with red camrys.........

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 12:53]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my wife and i had an arguement about this tonight after seeing that new ad where the mother walking her kid gets hit my the car.

the ad said a car travelling at 70k would've stopped here {showing him not hitting the slowing car in front}
then it said, a car travelling at 76kph, the driver swerves violently, clips the corner of the car {doing way more than 6kph more} which in turns spears them off at opposite directions, where one car goes up a gutter and cleans up a woman.

that ad angers me, they should show the same ad where theres a 104 year old asian fella doing 50 in a 70 zone.

ad should go more like

if this cockhead was doing the speed limit, then the camry driven by mr bloggs wouldnt have had to have stopped.

but since he doesnt legally have to learn the language, he couldnt read the street sign, and since he was so fucking old, he just drove to HIS limits, oh well, a young mother had to die for him, he's probably an illegal alien anyway, just send him on a free trip home scot free.

meh Sad
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 23:05

my wife and i had an arguement about this tonight after seeing that new ad where the mother walking her kid gets hit my the car.

the ad said a car travelling at 70k would've stopped here {showing him not hitting the slowing car in front}
then it said, a car travelling at 76kph, the driver swerves violently, clips the corner of the car {doing way more than 6kph more} which in turns spears them off at opposite directions, where one car goes up a gutter and cleans up a woman.

Hey I don't know if it's just me, but that needle didn't even get close to 75km/h.

Plus if he was going just that bit slower, when he swerved, he would have missed the car and not clipped it, but would have still plowed into that woman and baby with more force than before as he didn't knock some off by clipping that other car.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 10 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That ad really pisses me off. It's a total crock of shit.

"A car blah blah blah (insert bullshit scenario here involving a speed just over the limit) blah blah blah, (insert a totally different scenario here, although claim the same circumstances and the differing factor being the speed) you'll be ok. If you speed you'll kill someone!!"

Don't mind the asshole in the other car STANDING STILL IN A 70 ZONE. What the fuck?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Tue, 12 April 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We don't get that ad down here, but honestly, even for those of us where our car is our most prized possession:
If you were travelling down a road & suddenly realised you were heading for a stopped car which you couldn't stop in time for, your options are:
1. swerve to left & aim for pedestrians
2. brake in a straight line & clean up the back of the car in front
3. swerve to the right into the oncoming traffic

who wouldn't do number 2?

Yes, you'll do damage to your car, but you're more likely to not kill anyone in that scenario, & I'd hate to have to live with killing someone on my conscience, accident or not.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 13 April 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've ranted long & hard on this one in other threads. needless to say, search it, or just go to www.roadsense.com.au

In short: Pooh to the revenue raising, safety-unconcious guv'mnt mudda-fv(kers Mad
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 13 April 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah as soon i saw that add it went stright in to the BULLSHIT BIN...

Nezza Cool
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 14 April 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 20:12

asians should have to be on their L's for an extra 6 months!!

There is a reason why the older asian/indian ppl are terrible drivers. It's quiet simple really, when a person who has lived in india, decides to come to australia, they sit the theory test, and voila, they have a FULL licence.No practical tests, no nothing.

If you have ever been to india, you will realise that there is absolutely ZERO road control. It is mayhem out there, and the only reason deaths are low, is that the roads are so terrible that vehicles seldom reach above 60km/h.

My friends cousin, came from india and my god, he was i swear to god, the worst driver EVER. I have seen L platers with more traffic sense than him. No signalling, no shoulder checks, kept getting his arms tangled when turning, left foot on the brake in a manual and then gettin his feet all tangled when trying to downshift, are among many things that he did.

I imagine that many people from these countries are getting free licenses, and then are learning how to drive on the road without an instructor.

The government is puttin an emphasis on road safety, the best thing they can do is to get these hacks off the road.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 14 April 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 15:11

"The RTA says speed is a contributing factor in 42 per cent of road fatalities. Within those speed-related deaths, however, 31 per cent involved a drunk driver, 20 per cent involved a person who failed to wear a seatbelt (or a motorcycle helmet) and 12 per cent involved an unlicensed driver. People who make bad decisions in relation to risk often die on the road." (source: smh)

so speed alone is a factor in about 15% of total road fatalities. Makes the figure a lot less impressive, doesn't it?

I have also read in a car magazine (motor i think) that on the form that police fill in at the scene of an accident that if the cause of the accident cant be found there is no option to list the cause as "undetermined" so they just put down speeding.

Also all accidents are speed related as you cant have an accident if something isnt moving.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 14 April 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 18:40

Also all accidents are speed related as you cant have an accident if something isnt moving.

smart ass, havent u ever been siting at a set of lights and a car apparates on your bonnet {sorry abou the harry potter terminology}
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Fri, 15 April 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that add with the guy hitting the woman on the footpath is total bullshit circumstances.

there is to many variables to that situation, ie. speed, following distance, drivers reaction time, drivers decision what to do, etc. etc.

the chances of the exact same situaion happening again are likely to b pretty slim.

another thing i noticed is that it didnt look much like he was braking in the situation where he does crash into the woman....although the scene where he doesnt crash he is pretty fukin hard on the brakes.

the add is good to slow some people down but still it isnt very realistic.....things will change depending on car/driver/ability etc. et.

brett

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 17 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speed kills. every km/h over is a killer. watch out professional racecar drivers, you're all going to die horrible deaths with flame and vinegar, INSTANTLY!

what you're talking about is not anything new, check this site out
http://www.speedingisbullshit.com/
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Mon, 18 April 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, they're trying to get a forum up and running too, but looks like they're having trouble... Laughing

http://www.roadlegaloz.com.au/phpbb/
db__
Regular

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Mon, 18 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Statistics show 100% of accidents have a person driving the car as a contributing factor... ban drivers!
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Mon, 18 April 2005 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no they won't! This way they won't make any revenue would they? Very Happy

all the money lost through fuel taxes and speeding fines! that would be at least $20 million lost per year... Very Happy

actually the part that ur talking about in the first thread about 15% is actually speeding over the limit, this website saids it's 5%!!! Shocked

http://www.sense.bc.ca/research.htm

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 17:47]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 21 April 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remeber when a guy had a van running of oil from fish and chip shops.

then when the government heard about it, they said the old oil from the fish + chip shop (was going to be thrown out anyway Confused ) had to be taxed before he could have it.

he is doing them a favour and the enviroment

like this is going to promote and encourage people to do "green" things.

i suppose they wont catch him speeding with a deep fryer oil powered car....so they need to get some money somehow Laughing
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Tue, 03 May 2005 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually anyone interested to get together and do something good to push the government to change the law and reduce the road toll?
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Tue, 03 May 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.ozdrive.org

Unfortunately, nobody seems to want to listen to actual facts...
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Tue, 03 May 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hell yeah lol, too many crap drivers, i was with my brother once and he had rented an astra convertable for a week (cost shitloads understandably) and we were going through a set of lights and some dickhead the other side turned right in front of us when we were goin straight through!! Mad ,,,and predictably he was driving some form of twenty or thirty year old holden Laughing

ill admit though i hate speeding, i dont mind how the adds are unrealistic if it discourages people from doing it, but like you all said, the gov. needs to put some money into training and technique and change the legislation..especially those crap indian drivers, deeps, cracked up reading about your indian friend, unbelievable Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 23:02]

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 08:49

www.ozdrive.org

Unfortunately, nobody seems to want to listen to actual facts...

It's actually not the problem of if people will listen to actual facts...

you'll have a group of people that is totalling brainwashed and thought going over the speed limit is total taboo

you have another group that knows it's wrong to have the speed limit enforced so tightly, but just think it's not going to happen to them and couldn't bother doing anything about it, or not until they get burnt badly!

think about this, how many times have you accidently/delibratly go over the speed limit, if at all those time there was a speed trap right there, how much would that cost you? Would you still have your license? But was what you doing really as dangerous as the RTA tries to tell you? The fact is all the speed traps and cameras aren't even a black spot, nor in any places where they have speeding problem, it's all about revenue raising, so one day you're going to get burnt! It's knowing where to speed up and when to slow down that reduces road toll

I reckon the people of ozdrive.org speedingisbullshit.com roadsense.com.au etc. all get together and make a difference instead of working on their own website and getting no publicity
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also ads like that one, show other drivers killing other people.
both myself and my gf are studying psychology and we know that those ads have very little to no effect on people. they have a 'ít would suck if i was that guy' and the cliche'd 'itll never happen to me' mentality.

Personally i find the ad offensive and i choose to change the channel as soon as it starts. I know it doesnt have an effect and i dont think i need to be exposed to that vulgar ad if its for no reason.

You cannot shock or scare people into not speeding. You have to make them feel responsible and WANT to not speed for reasons other than fear of being caught or fear of killing someone else.

[/my 2 cents]
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 18:13

both myself and my gf are studying psychology and we know that those ads have very little to no effect on people. they have a 'ít would suck if i was that guy' and the cliche'd 'itll never happen to me' mentality.

Personally i find the ad offensive and i choose to change the channel as soon as it starts. I know it doesnt have an effect and i dont think i need to be exposed to that vulgar ad if its for no reason.

You cannot shock or scare people into not speeding. You have to make them feel responsible and WANT to not speed for reasons other than fear of being caught or fear of killing someone else.

[/my 2 cents]

yes you cannot shock or scare people, but these ads falls in line with their propaganda so when someone gets injured or killed, you can have the fingers pointing at speed, and brain wash people into thinking we must drive slower, more reason to enforce the speed and add more cameras, they know it doesn't scare people into not speeding, they don't want to either, look at the revenue raised every year, it's incredible, but does it save any lifes? not if more people gets killed every year, year after year! I reckon the government should pay back every cents they took off from speeding infringement because the speed enforcement did not inprove the death toll ONE BIT at all, so there's no base to have taken any money or points off people because they weren't doing anything dangerous or wrong to start with!
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 19:11

Dr_Love wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 18:13

[/my 2 cents]

yes you cannot shock or scare people, but these ads falls in line with their propaganda so when someone gets injured or killed, you can have the fingers pointing at speed, and brain wash people into thinking we must drive slower, more reason to enforce the speed and add more cameras, they know it doesn't scare people into not speeding, they don't want to either, look at the revenue raised every year, it's incredible, but does it save any lifes? not if more people gets killed every year, year after year! I reckon the government should pay back every cents they took off from speeding infringement because the speed enforcement did not inprove the death toll ONE BIT at all, so there's no base to have taken any money or points off people because they weren't doing anything dangerous or wrong to start with!

Preventing death's also raises revenue.

There will always be risk taker's and innocent victim's, but fining someone for going over 5 10 or 20 i think is ridicules. Over 20 is a diferent story

Like italy, the highway speed limit is 170k's and its a two lane road.

When i do the limit im a worse driver cause im always looking at the speedo and not at the road.

Im sure that most of these fatal accidents are alchool or drug related, but why are modest driver's paying for other people's mistakes?
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 19:53

Preventing death's also raises revenue.

There will always be risk taker's and innocent victim's, but fining someone for going over 5 10 or 20 i think is ridicules. Over 20 is a diferent story

Like italy, the highway speed limit is 170k's and its a two lane road.

When i do the limit im a worse driver cause im always looking at the speedo and not at the road.

Im sure that most of these fatal accidents are alchool or drug related, but why are modest driver's paying for other people's mistakes?

Even fining someone over 20km/h I wouldn't call that ridiculous, it really depends on the condition, you may have a long strench of road, 2 wide lanes, clear visibility, no side streets and it could be limited to 50km/h or less, if they keep having ridiculous speed limits (I remember somewhere mentioned they were going to lower the highways to 50km/h, yeah right, then people will be driving 100km/h in non-patroled suburbane streets, I already often see people drive 80-90km/h down suburban streets, even the police patrol does it without turning on their sirens or strobe! Very Happy)

Why take people's hard earn money if they weren't doing anything dangerous? It's totally wrong in the first place, and traffic law is the only law that penalises people with no intention to commit crime, you can get away with murder easier, if there was any doubt that you murdered someone, you can't be charged or penalised, but there's huge doubt with radar, lidar or speed cameras with its accuracy! But tonnes of innocent people gets penalised, what if that person was you, how would you feel?

But yes, everyone's attention is looking out for police cars and their speedo, next time try this, get someone to time you with a stopwatch, travel at 60km/h, look at your speedo so your eyes is focus and read your speed limit off the speedo, then after you confirm your speed, look back onto the road and get your eyes re-adjusted/focus on the road, when your attention is fully back to the road, how much time did you waste? How many metres did you travel NOT looking at the road in front of you? And if you have to check your speed every 5-10 seconds, with traffic around you, is this safe?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the focous on road safety should be exactly that safe roads. The speed camera down the road from us was put there because someone slid off the road when it was wet and the used to be no guard rail and died. The government used this as an excuse to put a speed camera there?

Anyways the road is still a dangerous bottleneck where a 2 lane road becomes a 1 lane road for about 400m then back to 2 lanes and goes through a windy valley. The speed camera makes just under 2 million a year in fines yet nothing has been done to improve the road. Speed cameras = safer roads my ass they do.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then we sure would have to do something before the situation gets worst..

I mean financial wise it's not going to get worst, but more people will keep dying as time goes on... more people going to get stun by speed cameras as time goes on...

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:11]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate this shit. You shouldn't be able to get away with doing 100 in 50 zones, but I think relaxing on the speedo watching and teaching some dickheads how to turn their damned heads (ie. freekin' head checking) and learning to drive would go a long way.

I'd like to put foward that people who can't drive manual generaly aren't nearly as focused when driving. Some of the worsed drivers out there are people who don't focus 'cuz they don't have to. The car drives itself as far as they are concerned.

Bah, I'm going back to hide under my bridge. Screw you all.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 23:41

I hate this shit. You shouldn't be able to get away with doing 100 in 50 zones

I've seen a marked police car flooring it in a suburban street last time we had long weekend double demerit

they shouldn't get away doing 100km/h because it's dangerous or because u wouldn't dare doing it urself? Smile

100km/h in 50 (suburban) zone is a bit over the top as 100km/h with people around is a bit dangerous, but this is what's going to happen if you have 50km/h limit on main roads, and people will get away with it, u know they would

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:49]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Wed, 04 May 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 23:46

Shraka wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 23:41

I hate this shit. You shouldn't be able to get away with doing 100 in 50 zones

I've seen a marked police car flooring it in a suburban street last time we had long weekend double demerit

they shouldn't get away doing 100km/h because it's dangerous or because u wouldn't dare doing it urself? Smile

100km/h in 50 (suburban) zone is a bit over the top as 100km/h with people around is a bit dangerous, but this is what's going to happen if you have 50km/h limit on main roads, and people will get away with it, u know they would

HA ! !

About three weeks ago I saw a squad car (marked SS, lights flashing admittedly) doing 120km/h ish in heavy traffic, just after dark on Burwood Road, Glenferrie. Traffic was doing 10-40km/h, teh cop was trying to go straight up the middle of the road, pedestrians everywhere.

Brake discs glowing RED HOT ! !

I've seen/heard of "hoons" doing stupid stuff, but this was so far beyond a reasonable, risk-taking way to drive it literally dropped my jaw. There'd better have been MULTIPLE lives on the line, coz this dud was putting numerous other motorists AND pedstrians in mortal danger - driving at oncoming traffic and hoping they'll squeeze out of the way.

The discs were a dull cherry red BEFORE they had to nearly stop right in front of me (I was a ped on teh sidewalk) - the groan as they started GLOWING was louder than the traffic noise, and I know how far you've got to push commo brakes to get that noise at that volume - I can assure you this guy had NOTHING left!!

AND I GET FINED for cruising 20km/h over the limit on a deserted 2-lane dual-carriage highway on a crystal clear night???

I don't care WHAT training they get - flashing lights aren't a freakin' halo of invincibility ! It just takes one car to change lanes without checking their mirrors properly, and BINGO! Carnage . . Mad Mad Mad

[/End Rant]
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 05 May 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should report a complaint on them and let their superior decide if it was such an emergency to drive like a hoon... Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Thu, 05 May 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 16:02

you should report a complaint on them and let their superior decide if it was such an emergency to drive like a hoon... Very Happy

Yeah - I'd have hopped on the dog'n bone instantly if I could get a plate or I.D. number. T'was dark though, so no joy. Sad

(I reckon they were trying to get the Pizza back to the station before it went cold!)
MKIII_Supra
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sat, 07 May 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where i used to live the cops were untouchable, i lived at sandgate brisbane (anyone who knows the area will kno wat im talkin about) we have a footpath that runs along the water front and now a upgraded road with new speed islands (which have caused more damage than they're worth) but alot of older people use this footpath to walk at night and people fish of it, to mine and a mates astonsihment we often saw the cops driving up and down this footpath which is elevated in most parts and leaves nowhere for people to move out of the way, any way we rekon they would be doin speeds of about 70 to 80k cause they were travelling faster than some of the cars on the road. its just ridiculous, and even when we complianed, we were told to mind our own business, thats just how stuffed the system is
MKIII_Supra
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sat, 07 May 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and i believe that my generation is far more tuned to speed camera's and D cars, i kno that the rule is in my car, who ever is riding shotgun if official radar and cop car detector whilst the driver is rear vision and speed camera look out. ask any of ya mates and they'll be able to list off common spots for cops and camera's, so no matter how many new cars they get or how good they technology, i still think we can be one step ahead of them (im not encouraging stupid driving, just saying as mentioned by "st184 sillycar" how he was cruising a lil bit over on a deserted road and got done while they have superiority complex's and think they own us)
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sat, 07 May 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did u complain to and who told u to mind ur own business? That's very bad.. Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sat, 07 May 2005 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shakes head* The focus on "speeding" as bad is dumb. I mean, before I got my Ps I used to drive at 60 in back streets. Now doing that would land me a fine and a dimerit point. Really, rather than fining people for breaking the limit, we should be hunting down and killing all those people who let us all do something as dangerous as do 60 in back streets for so long! Razz All this time I was endangering everyone around me and killing small babies and kittens! And without anyone to force me not to, I was being dangerous!

NOTE: I didn't actualy kill anyone or anything, everyone was safe, and I rarely traveled at 60 (neither did my mother) 'cuz we didn't feel it was safe a lot of the time. Point being we don't need to be forced to drive like morons all the time just 'cuz some people are. Get them off the road! Let me drive in peace!

The safest speed is actualy 0, as we can't have an accident at that speed. So why doesn't the govornment do the SAFEST thing, and protect the people by getting rid of cars and road entirely? That would be SAFEST...

I am actualy all for booking people doing stupid shit though. One of the times I was booked, I must admit, I was going a bit fast... And being a bit dumb. The other 2 times where stupid speed cameras though, with no real safety issues.

First I had just come off a 70 zone, still wide road, no houses on the die of the road (yet) and got done for 64 over I think it was.

Second I'd taken a roundabout, came out of the roundabout and boogied up to the speed limit. I got flashed and realised that this 60 zone was actualy a 50 zone. Sad It was nice and wide, and there where no other cars or pedestrians about.

In closing, I hate everything.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sat, 07 May 2005 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is the point, you get done for not actually doing anything dangerous, if they are truly serious about road safety, they should ban cars that are more than 15 years old (unless they're engineered.. Razz which will affect a lot of people I know, but it's for safety) they should make ABS compulsory because so many bad drivers, and they should have ads to tell people to look carefully before turning right across other people! If they are serious about safety, they should have automatic transmission only and teach people to have their left foot floating above the brake pedals just so they can stop quicker in case of accidents, if they're serious they should banned cheap suspension, brakes and tyres, because if 5km/h over the limit is so dangerous, just because of the mere 1.4m/s extra that is travels, and the slightly longer stopping distance makes so much difference, what even bigger difference would good tyres, suspension and brakes will make?

there's so many things that makes driving dangerous, but if 500,000 tickets are issued per year, and only 500 of death, does it mean the 1 million speeding motorist are so dangerous, that they have caused a 500/500,000 = 0.1% risk of death per year and they all deserved to be fined? Don't we all understand it's all about revenue raising, although this is a democratic free country, we still deserved to be ripped off? They say they have fined you legally, but is this lawful? Why no one would care to do anything about it?

If they are really serious, I would rather they concentrate on reducing the crime rate, and malpractice in hospital which is what I would call tragedy, it's so obviously we have no speeding problem, but a revenue raising problem, we should have slogans:
"It's not speed that killed your kids, friends and family, it's greed and ignorance". It's too obviously they're not interested in reducing road safety, they just want more money, more tax, so the corrupted politicians and police can have more tax-payers paid holiday in some 5-star resorts!

And if they're truly serious about road safety, they should have the speed limit set by those that really know what they're doing! Eg. traffic engineers!

[Updated on: Sat, 07 May 2005 18:46]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man, politicians suck balls Confused
lobby69
Regular

January 2005
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FOR ALL THE SHIT HEADS THAT TOOK A STAB AT COPS SPEEDING!,

have you aver realised that cops have light and sirens on their cars to warn people that they are coming....
do u see some dumb fuck in a lancer doing 100 in a 50 zone till the last minute???

dont pay out cops, they are their for a reason.....would you like to live in Australia withount any law enforcment???

if you were in an emergency situation would you give a shit if the cops were speeding to get to your emergency??

for the fucks above that took a stab at the cops....would you say that it is wrong for an ambulance to speed aswell? how bout fire trucks?

YOU WOULD BE FUCKED WITHOUT THEM!!!

THESE ARE EMERGENCY VEHICLES....THE IDEA IS TO GET TO THE SCENE AS QUICKLY AS POSIBLE!!!....

cops go through hours of precision driving coarses!, unlike the dumb fuck in a lancer doing 100 in a 50!

IF YOU GET CAUGHT SPEEDING OR IN THE WRONG AND THEY GIVE YOU A FINE....fucking accept it....

(if your in the wrong what argument do you have?)

just dont pay out coppers, they do a good job!

blake

Twisted Evil
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the problem being stated was that despite lights and siren, the cops were driving at an unsafe speed for the conditions. What cops usually do is "safe speeding" (despite the fact that the RTA tells us there's no such thing), where if someone fucks up, the cop's improved vehicle and superior driver training should enable them to avoid an accident, despite the increased speed.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought he was referring to the comments about cops speeding without their lights/sirens on. to blake: do you condone that sort of behaviour? Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 04:42]

86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lobby69 wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 13:46

dont pay out cops, they are their for a reason.....would you like to live in Australia withount any law enforcment???

Blake: I think you missed the whole point

but do we really have any law enforcement? Not if 90% of the cops is busy with a radar/lidar instead of patrolling the un-safe streets! I'm 100% sure we will live in a safer place if we actually see as much cops patrolling the streets as much as speed cameras! And if they needed funding, these should come from fixed tax from income and businesses, not from revenue made by speed enforcement in the name of "safety"! Which is not actually making the road safer in any way!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lobby69 wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 13:46

if you were in an emergency situation would you give a shit if the cops were speeding to get to your emergency??

Everytime ive had an emergency where ive called a policeman its taken them a couple of hrs to come.

My conclusion Police are never arround when you need them but allways arround when you dont.

MOST cops do a good job and we thank them for it but you have to accept there are cops that arent so law obiding unfortunatly it is those bad cops that we remember and tell everyone about.

This post sounds like your taking it very personally lobby69 are you a police man/woman or is a relative/friend one?

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lets just all agree that your regular cops are all great and do a wonderful job, the highway patrol officers are the wankers.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:12

the highway patrol officers are the wankers.

i am yet to come across a pleasant one
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:33

EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:12

the highway patrol officers are the wankers.

i am yet to come across a pleasant one

don't think there's many, when they have the "license to wank" they will use it unless they're in a very good mood! Which doesn't happen often. After all, they're there to give you a bad day! And either they've been brainwashed to think that speed kills, or they're part of the propaganda!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think its that, i just think they are on a power trip. most coppers you will meet are top people, i know a few. the regular cops dont like the highway patrol either, ask one next time to meet them Smile
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard that most of the highway patrol coppers are given that job cause no other coppers in the station/area like them so to get them out of their face they stick em in highway patrol..thats just wat a cop mate said to me anyways...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:52

i dont think its that, i just think they are on a power trip. most coppers you will meet are top people, i know a few. the regular cops dont like the highway patrol either, ask one next time to meet them Smile

ive heard this from police as well the conversation usually goes like this

me `ohhh so your a policeman should be nice and easy to get out of speeding fines then huh?`

Policeman `huh yeah right i have 3 points left on my licsense bloody highway patrol`
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Sun, 08 May 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you give power to most human, 60% will abuse it when ever they feel like, 35% will abuse it if they're in a bad mood, and I'd say less than 5% will never abuse it at all, who is the rare occasional good cops that people mention.. haha..
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Mon, 09 May 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Double-Post Dammit! (Sorry)

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 04:00]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 42% of accidents have speed as a contributing factor, but... Mon, 09 May 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 22:02

I heard that most of the highway patrol coppers are given that job cause no other coppers in the station/area like them so to get them out of their face they stick em in highway patrol..thats just wat a cop mate said to me anyways...

That's nearly word-for-word what an ex-cop (Vic.) I know, and a current plod (NSW) I went to school with said. I've never met a nice highway patrol-pig either - in fact I can't recall ever dealing with people more pissed off at the world!

As for the cops speeding widt teh sirens going: I accept that they've been trained, have metallic brake-pads, etc. etc. - but what I saw (see above post) was near-on suicidal.

All the training in the world won't stop a hot-headed, fv(kwit copper from putting lives at risk when they behave outside what they've been trained, instructed and allowed to do. I know there's a ton of "good" cops out there, but there's plenty of pain-in-the-ass "bad" cops, dirtying the good reputation the rest of the force works so hard to maintain.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Price Guide - AE92 Corolla
Next Topic:Novus Autoglass
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 03:47:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012533903121948 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.