Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sideeways
Regular

March 2004
HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 05:15 Go to next message
hi guys, sorry bout this, i would really like to do a search myself IF i knew whats wrong or what they called. not sure if any of u experienced this.
say the car is stationary, and steering wheel and front wheels are pointing straight. i turn my steering wheel to the left and then turn back . now..the front wheels are straight but the steering wheel is no more straight. somethings loose somewhere..i dont noe if u know what im talking abt haha but if u do, pls tell me what needs to be tightened or replaced? thanks heaps
  Send a private message to this user    
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are we talking steering box or rack and pinion?
what car?
sideeways
Regular

March 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive no idea Sad its an ae86
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much out are we talking about? 10 degrees? 45 degrees?
a little bit is normal
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how far to the left do u turn it... if u turn a little u wont tell the wheels have turned but they would be..
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm takumi failed the gutter trick hey Razz Razz
On a sreious note first get a wheel alignment see if that fixes it that doesn't work then start searching they are only 40 bucks anyway
sideeways
Regular

March 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm i think i didnt explain clearly ehhee..what i mean is..arrrgg!! how do u explain this..
okok..front wheels are straight, steering wheel is straight right? with no power steering, its a bitch to turn the wheel when the car is not moving at all yea for example when ur parking in a really tight spot. anyway, when i force the steering wheel to turn to either right or left for few rounds and then return to centre, the steering wheel and front wheels will no longer be alligned. meaning now if the front wheels are straight, the steering wheel might be either 30degs to the left..or right..i hope u noe what i mean ehhee
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well try see if the linkages are worn, so turn the wheel back and forth and feel every part along the way to your wheels to see if there is any major play in any component. requires 2 people Smile if nothing is suspect then check your wheel alignment.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 22:23]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Sun, 08 May 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's anything like my RA23, there's a joint in the steering column made out of some fibre stuff which can fall apart with age. It's located just after the column comes through the firewall. If this is broken it will cause the symptoms described.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Mon, 09 May 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideeways wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:19

hmmm i think i didnt explain clearly ehhee..what i mean is..arrrgg!! how do u explain this..
okok..front wheels are straight, steering wheel is straight right? with no power steering, its a bitch to turn the wheel when the car is not moving at all yea for example when ur parking in a really tight spot. anyway, when i force the steering wheel to turn to either right or left for few rounds and then return to centre, the steering wheel and front wheels will no longer be alligned. meaning now if the front wheels are straight, the steering wheel might be either 30degs to the left..or right..i hope u noe what i mean ehhee

Do you have any steering issues while driving,.. i.e at 80kph, does the car dive into potholes, pull the wheel out of your control or tramline?

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Mon, 09 May 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if the spline in the steering wheel has expired and the slip is happening between the wheel and shaft.

Not an inconceivable idea..

Is it an aftermarket wheel?
If so has the boss been overtightened and now it is cracked?
Have you smoked any illicit substances lately? (this can alter your abiltiy to judge time and space).
sideeways
Regular

March 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Mon, 09 May 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha mann i dont smoke anything not even ciggies. and no i dont drink either. i got perfect judgement..i think.
i sent the car for allignment today..steering wheel is still pointing to the side..but car is going straight now..allignment was badly off but that doesnt explain why the steering wheel will shift..something is loose somewhere im sure..hmm
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: HELP! with my steering ..watever u call that Tue, 10 May 2005 00:54 Go to previous message
well they should have alligned the steering wheel to neutral
and then done the allignment hmmm well anyway now that the allignment is done either the wheel is off centre or there is play in the system, im pretty sure you can take the wheel off and re align it on the splines to be neutral. or there is play in the system which you will have to find as mentioned.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sv-21 3s-fe to a 4age or a 4agze
Next Topic:How to fit RX7 calipers to an AE86 - Links to pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:35:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045530796051025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.