Toymods » Tech & Conversions » OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 09:08 Go to next message
OMG i was torquing up my cam shaft bearing cap bolts to 13N/M like it says everywhere and one of the bolts BROKE!!
OMG!
this is so annoying! does anyone have any suggestions of how i can get this out??

i havent torqued any more after that one broke, it was the first one i tried after tightening all the rest of the bolts to approximately the same tightness.

Cheers
a very pissed off, Choony

Send a private message to this user    
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pull the head back off and take it somewhere. Needs to be drilled and then ez-outed
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh dear. this happened to me not too long ago. its a real bitch.

did you forget to install something? baffle plates, oil lines etc.?

what ever you do dont use a screw extractor, they are evil.

pull it off, and get the machine shop to drill it out.
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys
i've calmed a bit now

well initially my head was in pieces, a while ago it was put together but not torqued down, bought a torque wrench last week and went to do it tonite, first thing, camshaft bearing caps, tightened them al with a normal ratchet then came the torque wrench, first bolt...snap!

Was a very depressing moment Sad

Do you guys know how much these guys charge to drill it out?

Cheers
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah $20
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you say its a bolt so the head sheared off the other part might still come out ,and i thought 4age were 14ft lbs for the bearing caps is that the same as 13nm .anyway take the bearing cap off ,and use some locking pliers ,multigrips that might do it ,but take cam out 1st
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever you do, DONT use an ezyout. If it breaks in there you'll be in far worse trouble.

Ezyout is hardened (tungsten I think) which is strong but brittle. That means they snap very easily when torqued but are impossible to drill out. There is also a real art to choosing size etc etc.

Take it to the machine shop and see if they'll show you how its done. They have the tools and expertise to do it right.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bantech wrote on Sat, 07 May 2005 22:05

Whatever you do, DONT use an ezyout. If it breaks in there you'll be in far worse trouble.

Ezyout is hardened (tungsten I think) which is strong but brittle. That means they snap very easily when torqued but are impossible to drill out. There is also a real art to choosing size etc etc.

Take it to the machine shop and see if they'll show you how its done. They have the tools and expertise to do it right.

thats exactly why i recommended against it. when my bolt snapped i tried to use an extractor, and yes, it snapped.
you really dont want this to happen...
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sat, 07 May 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait till you are drilling out monel bolts that are sheared off at the heads but you cant remove the cover plate as it's an electricmotor underneath a navy ship (canberra). drilling one at a time with pneumatic drill the you (not me) snap an ezy out off in the hole. 4 days to drill that alone Sad . Guess what, the guy who snapped it was ex navy ships engineer, first and last job with us Laughing
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Torque wrench???????
if it's a 1/2in drive at the very bottom of its range, i wouldn't trust its accuracy.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go get a copy of the first issue of RACE mag which is still in newsagents, it has a very good tech article on removing broken bolts. ezy-outs are good if you arent ham fisted.
i also wonder about the torque wrech, i hope it wasnt a 1/2inch. i dont torque down the cams anyway, its not necessary.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres nothing wrong with easy outs if you buy a good set we use them all the time at work.There are different types of easy outs the shit ones lock in on a taper thread no good they expand the thread causing the thread to go tight in the hole but other styles are square so they bight on the edges keep the bolt in its natural shape use these type of easy outs and you will have no problem. I bought a set through caterpillar cost me about $60 very good. A bolt will not be tight in the block if you have just do it up unless the bolt has bottomed out then the thread is locked up hard. If the bolt has just broken from strain and there is no load you will find that you more than likely will be able to get it out with very little problem. Unless you have loctite the bolt in thats different. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 09:42]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i agree. the key to using ezy outs is to drill as small a hole as possible. the bigger the hole, the thinner the outside walls of the stuck bolt will be meaning it will expand as you turn the easy out in.

i was just thinking, if you broke the bolt in a camshaft cap, cant you just take all the caps off and the cam out and wont the bolt be half sticking out of the hole? most likely the bolt hasnt bottomed out and will come out easy.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 18:54

i dont torque down the cams anyway, its not necessary.

id like to know how you come to that conclusion
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who knows why i do things the way i do Rolling Eyes i personally dont torque them. there arent any bearings in the caps, what difference does it make? i mean there are torque specs for ever bolt on the car. i also dont torque flywheel bolts, strut bolts, caliper bolts etc...
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so you mean you just tighten them till they are tight.
i thought you were saying you just finger tightened them or something dodgy like that Laughing
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im dodgy... but not that dodgy Smile
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the advice guys i might try this ezyout stuff sounds interesting.

As for torquing bolts on engines, this is the first (and at the rate its going the LAST!) conversion i've done, jus to be on the safe side i wanted to torque everything.

From what i've read around the camshaft bearing caps are 9 ft.lb = 13n/m.

The bolt is broken IN the head, not in the actual CAP, it sticks out around 1.5mm to 2mm, i tried some pliers out and it just squeezed what was left of the bolt, lost grip and now its warn down.

So there goes that idea.

So doesn't anyone here torque down their bearing caps? i might not do this either now..

Cheers
Choony
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dood its probably just me, dont copy me Very Happy

mate you got it easy if its a coupla mm outta the head! hammer and chisel will getit out no trouble, failing that weld something to it and turn it out even.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or use a hacksaw and cut a slot in the of the bolt and use a flat blade screw driver
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not surehow the hammer and chissel will work coz its a size 10mm bolt so u can imagine how skinny the body of the bolt will be

ra_28: I think your idea will be the first i try

Thanks again guys
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i somehow managed to do this trying to get a broken bolt out

Mad
http://img86.echo.cx/img86/144/mvc011s9cx.th.jpg
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had it happen to me ages ago when i was torquing down my GZE head. Took the head to my local engine builder and they pulled the bolt for $10.

As for the torquing, if you were using a 1/2" torque wrench i doubt it had the accuracy which you needed at low torque levels.

And as for the torque on bearing caps, if you do them up tight with a ratchet, its normally about 15nM. Just a lot of practice i guess.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Sun, 08 May 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best way to get it out is to weld a nut to the top of it,

you wont damage anything as the head is alloy the weld wont stick to it,

once you weld it just undo it with a shifter,

Dale
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Mon, 09 May 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg Jackel man i feel sorry for you i hope i dont do that

if i had a welder i'd try that but i dont, might have to find a mate who has one though.

The torque wrench i was using has a 3/8" end so it was accurate.Could it be because i was using a long neck socket? maybe i just didnt know how to use my torque wrench coz it was my first time, but i doubt im that retarded though Confused

Gona try cutting the slot in the bit sticking out today and unscrewing it
will let you guys know how it goes

Choony
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Mon, 09 May 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evosti is so dodgy when a customer comes to his house in a tarago for a noise under the bonnet he wont look at it and makes me look at it but evos right tight is tight enough flywheel bolts go in with locktite anyway, sometimes if the bolt in question isnt siezed inside you can get a centre punch on the outer edge of the bolt and tap the centre punch into the loosening direction (l/h&r/h threads) of the broken bolt dont forget heeeeps of wd40
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Mon, 09 May 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well maybe i should send my customers over to your house after hours, or at 6am on a sunday Mad fukin dole bludgers have no concept of work hours.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Thu, 12 May 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u know what id do id be the best mate and give them a jensen mechanical repairs buisness card and tell them go and see you or id tell them theyll have to get the thing towed cos itll break the car if driven Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: OMG WTF?!?! Camshaft bolt BROKEN in HEAD Thu, 12 May 2005 09:58 Go to previous message
bastard guy!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:changing ae82 starter motor
Next Topic:datalogging with wbo2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:40:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077028274536133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.