Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 08:13 Go to next message
I just put a 4AGE bigport in my AE86, it runs beautifully!
But it is not idleing properly, it goes from around 1000 up to 2300 over and over.
When I disconnect the vaccum sensor it idles, but up at just over 2k and drives like crap. Connected another vaccum sensor and same thing happens?
I did a search but could not find any explanations for how to solve the problem?

The engine ran fine in the AE82 it came out of, the only thing that was changed was a pod filter inplace of the airbox, and a RWD intake manifold instead of doing a cut and shut.
The intake and exhaust gaskets are all brand new, and I am using the fuel pump from the AE82 mounted in my tank with an extended bracket.

also... even with vaccum sensor connected it idles really high, that prolly doesn't make sense with info above...explanation: When I take my foot off the clutch it drives forward, as if accelerator is being pushed and held at about 2-2.5K?

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?Can someone please help me out?
I am very grateful for any info you guys can give me!
Thanks in advance.
-Whitchy-

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 08:39]

Send a private message to this user    
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate,

I have also recently installed a bigport 4age into my 86 and had a similar prob, what i would do first is check all of the vacuum lines to make sure they are connected correctly. If you dont know where they go just block every one! thats what i did and it works a treat, you'll also have to block a couple of holes which go between the front and rear of the throttle body, its pretty easy just take it to bits and you'll see how it works. Just put a rubber bung in the hole. Just remember to reconnect the charcoal canistor, there is a little pipe marked with a C on the top of the throttle body just run a hose from there to your CC. Also to run a pipe to your brake booster and rocker cover, so that you run the blow by back into your engine. Or run a catch can which is good if you do a bit of track work and hard driving.

good luck!
Craig
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a search, i had this problem about a month ago and solved it quite easily,

if the search doesnt work, click on my profile and "show all posts by this user" and find the thread.
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it is to do with the water lines running into the throttle body? Cause when I modded the water lines I didn't run any to the throttle body, but others I have spoken to have done the same thing and not had any problems?
So all I should have to do is block the two pipes at the bottom of the throttle body?
Thanks heaps for the info so far!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no,
i was reffering to the vacuum lines, running water lines to the throttle body wont do anything once you block the holes that i've mentioned, have another read of my comments
craig
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Sun, 08 May 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah all the vaccum lines are blocked off except the one to the charcoal canister and the vaccum sensor???
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Mon, 09 May 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it hunt all the time or only when the motor's warmed up ?
If it only does it at temp you'll either have to mod the throttle body so that you don't have to run the coolant lines to it or run the coolant lines to the TB.
These 2 temp sensors at the back of the head. One is used for idle control, from memory its the 1 with the green connector. You might have damaged it some how or a connector for it somewhere.
If you want to know the other sensor is for fuel mixture.

Are you sure that you've done up the bolts for the intake manifold tight and that the intake manifold isn't warped ? Cause thats another area that'll cause hunting. How about a hole in the vacuum line for the brake booster ?
Is it running a MAP sensor ?

Edit - The brown connector is the idle control sensor. Where as the green connector is fuel mixture.
BTW these 2 sensors are tied in with other sensors.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 15:23]

cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Mon, 09 May 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what we're trying to say is that it is a vacuum leak, you should be able to hear a hissing sound somewhere if this is the case. Be sure to block the internal passages as i mentioned as this will cause the greatest amount of problems
good luck
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Mon, 09 May 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To a point.
How about the fuel pressure regulator ? Have you connected that up ? If so, did you connect it to the right spot on the manifold.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Mon, 09 May 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:32

Cause when I modded the water lines I didn't run any to the throttle body,

so why exactly did you do that?

Quote:

These 2 temp sensors at the back of the head. One is used for idle control, from memory its the 1 with the green connector.

yea, a faulty coolant temp sensor doobie could cause a bouncing idle.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or it could be as simple as a dirty throttle body?

But searching between 1000rpm and 2300rpm is a big bounce.

Cheers

Steve
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Tue, 10 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone think the TPS being way out of adjustment could cause this?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Tue, 10 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 07:37

Quote:

These 2 temp sensors at the back of the head. One is used for idle control, from memory its the 1 with the green connector.

yea, a faulty coolant temp sensor doobie could cause a bouncing idle.

Well its only an idea. Cause it does happen when you dont have any coolant around the sensor. Try it and see what happens then pull the plug and see what happens.
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Wed, 11 May 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK the problem is fixed...Thanks heaps to Joel for fixing it and you guys for the info.
Turned out the be a few things, the TPS was not aligned properly, causing the irratic idle, then once that was setup properly it idled rather high, found about 3 separate vaccum leaks, fixed them and idle dropped to 2k but it is steady now.
The idle up valve is sucking in too much air causing it to idle so high, even with the idle screw in all the way.
Suspected F**Kd throttle body.
Will take throttle body off a spare intake and test that out, hopefully that will fix it completely!
Thanks again for any help and info!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Wed, 11 May 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Whitchy i thought i might make up some alloy plates to block off the idle control junk under the throttle body. Want me to make one for you? If you taking the throttle body off would be a good time to put it on.

Cheers
Joel
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE Bigport hunting at idle? Wed, 11 May 2005 04:52 Go to previous message
yeah, thatd be awesome!Thanks Joel!
Let me know when it is ready and I will pull some funds together and come down for a visit and grab it!Thanks heaps!
-Whitchy-
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bigport Manifold on 4agze?
Next Topic:4AGTE jolting/surging problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 09:02:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014468193054199 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.