Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE------> 4AGZE???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 12:11 Go to next message
im new to the car game (on my P's) and recently bought a AE82 Twin cam 16 and am wanting to eventually, hopefully turn it into a pretty quick corolla. it has a few small mods at the moment, genie headers, k&n air filter and is going in for a new exhaust system (2.5inch to the cat, and 3 inch cat-back to 3 inch tip). in the long run i was wanting to give it some significant performance mods, so here is where my quetion lies...

Firstly with the exhaust system does anyone think what i want to have done to it (2.5inch to the cat, and 3 inch cat-back to 3 inch tip) appear to have any problems (back pressure etc?).

Secondly ive been looking at every single site with the words "4AGZE", "corolla" and "Turbo" and have not found anything relevant to what my question is so hopefully one or some of you can help me out. I want to know if it is possible to supercharge my current motor (4AGE) or do i need to get a whole new 4AGZE engine if i want it to be charged? and if its possible what i need to do it (obviously the supercharger itself Razz but anything else that goes with it...)

Or alternatively turbocharging it... i have seen and read a few articles about people doing this mod and having it be pretty successful. Although i think most have turbo'd 4AGZE's, not standard GE's.. so i guess im after the same info about turboing my engine as i asked about supercharging it...

If that made sense to anyone Razz or if you have any feedback for me that'd be tops! thanks heaps...
  Send a private message to this user    
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2.5 inch to 3 inch lol.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, thats way too small, pissweak!
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your planned exhaust is to big, 2.5 inch all the way, no.

RE: GZE POWAH!! - N/A engines are not designed to run boost, i recommend not doing it, id get some lumpy cams instead. Also use the search function, you will learn more than u can possibly imagine about this subject. If u did decide to make the 4age into a F/I engine, u would need lots of things changed... search and you will find answers.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo

thats the only way Cool
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly search this forum, lots of good info to be found

with the engine, if you want F/I, go 4agze and turbo it, or leave it sc, best option in the long run..

but the 4age also has potential if you decide against going turbo or sc.

good luck
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got a power figure since the recent tarbo conversion des?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not yet man, haven't driven it much, havin some small probs here and there, but dyno and drift soon

free bump
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't go any larger than a 2" on a 4AGE, maybe 2.25" if you are lookin at a GZE.

to answer your question about supercharging a GE, it can be done but when you add up all the costs of doing it, and the headaches, it comes out much cheaper to just buy a GZE and put that in. then selling the GE....

GZE's are also a much better base platform if you plan to turbocharge it down the track.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is what I am doing with mine currently, putting all the SC gear onto the GE motor.

Its a bit of a fuck around, but I got everything I needed really cheap, thats why I did it. you need, SC, intake manifold, differant rear water pipe, mounting brackets for the SC, new bracket for the front to hold the A/C and Alternator and PS, a wiring loom would be nice, you would have to get a bigport SC gear off an either AW11 or early AE92. so you would also need the AFM, ecu if you want to go standard, and all the timing gear, cause if you get AE92 stuff it has a crank angle sensor, coilpacks, and separate igniter. if you got the AW11 one you would still need a new dizzy as I am finding out.

its not that difficult to do, I am having problems currently though with getting her started, the CAS isn't registering properly.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Sun, 08 May 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone says there is a higher chance of blowing the motor, but there are measures you can take against this.

you can pretty much never go more than stock boost, although it will be less than that on a normal GZE, I am calculating about 7psi because the crank pulley on the GE is a bit smaller. but don't think this is bad, because she is still higher compression even at that boost level she will still make a bit more power and lots more torque than that of the GZE.

If you run a really good intercooler, this should help prevent the detonation, or I am going to try a stock one with a water sprayer in a really good location, not top mount. You also may have to run a couple of degrees retarded on the base timing.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2005 22:49]

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Mon, 09 May 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a 2 inch on my 4AGE, That is plenty big enough, The 4 cyl engine doesnt put out that much air! anything bigger and you will start to lose to much bottom end. I got Straight thru with a resonator. The dick how did the exhaust put the resonator right up the front behind the cat, so it does nothing for the noise.
Sounds great but drones like hell at 100kmh.

Get a Hi-flow cat, that will make a much bigger difference than 3 inch for the 2 ft of pipe from the engine to the cat.
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Tue, 10 May 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool.. cheers for the advice, as i said i dont really know much about the technical side of exhausts and engines etc but i am learning!! so yeah ill talk to the guys at the exhaust place and see what they rekon about 2inch all the way and if they recommend a high flow cat or anything else.. and about the engine i think ill hang onto the GE for now and if i keep the car for long enough ill probably transplant GZE and work from there! but again thanks for all your help with that and ill no doubt have more questions for you guys very soon!
P.S what do you mean by f/i engine?? Rolling Eyes
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Tue, 10 May 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agerolla wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 13:35

P.S what do you mean by f/i engine?? Rolling Eyes

Forced Induction Engine
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Tue, 10 May 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll probably want to look at your suspension too, if you're going to put more power out of the engine. At the very least change the shocks and springs, 20 year old items arn't exactly desirable for best handling Wink
4agerolla
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4AGE------> 4AGZE??? Tue, 10 May 2005 08:54 Go to previous message
ahh i see.. f/i makes sense now! thanks for that...

Yeah the suspension has been changed, the previous owner had it lowered 2inches and replaced the springs.. but im not sure about the shocks, ill have to check it out..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mkII Cressida wiring
Next Topic:Toyota V8 into MA61 (2.0meg worth of pics)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 18:56:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053601264953613 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.