Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 07:43 Go to next message
i have used the search option... but couldnt find if anybody has actually come up with a solution or 'best your gonna get' with the weight distribution issue when putting a 1jz into an ra28.

any help appreciated.

Cheers,
BennyG
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of 2 people who have done the 1J conversion into TA23 (I no of no 1J>28 though) Celicas - One such person is chucklandwher (spell?), he frequents these forums.

You could try and ask him if he weighed teh car end for end.

Apart from that, you haven't really asked a question.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i used the search function to find out about putting a 1jz into an ra28 and it came up with the issue of a large weight bias towards the front of the car. i was wondering if anybody knew of possible solutions to removing weight from the front of the car and adding to the rear as to even out the weight distribution?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
battery relocation, fibreglass bonnet, lightened front bumper, upgraded diff....

all of which will require engineering of course Smile
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will require engineering for the conversion anyway so thats not too much of a worry
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depoending on how rich you are, a 2-core alloy radiator + slimline thermo will also drop a decent amount of weight off
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much is one of these units, supplied only, can install myself.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, you could install yourself if you can manage to fab up some brackets (not hard).

price? $500+ Very Happy

you never mentioned if you were on a budget - 1j into ra28 and looking to lighten it will be expensive.
possibly better off spending your money on good brakes and suspension
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course im on a budget, everyones on a budget, but ill budget in one of those if it is much of a weight save.. how much weight will it save?
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another thing, should i use the gearbox that comes with the half cut? if not, what gearbox should i use?
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will have to most definetly do a 5 stud conversion along with atleast cresida brakes and booster, custom cross members for box n motor plus engine mounts, mount a 1j dash cluster Very Happy would love to see the taco windin high revs on i it hehe.. as for weight, maybe spare wheels in the back lol i do it in mine cos my springs are a bit short (bout 4 inches long in the back Laughing XR6 too lol) and my stock shocks are fucked so the wheels stop the bounce being brutal.. if weight turns out to be that much of an issue, just have the tank full ALL the time..

peace
wes
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wezelton wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 22:26

mount a 1j dash cluster Very Happy would love to see the taco windin high revs on i it hehe.. wes

what do you mean by that? whats the red line on one of these?
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
REMOVED: There is one for sale for $800 from 84LLA in the forumns.

I was contemplating putting a 1j into my 28 a few months ago and decided against it purely because of the weight issues.

Once you get around to doing a single turbo conversion on your G you will leave most things for dead (Next on my list of thiungs to do).

My last dyno I managed roughly 165rwkw with a 3" exhaust, chipped factory ecu and a set of blitz turbos on 13psi.

The G's have alot of potential... but if you want to be different I would love to see the conversion when your done.

REMOVED: Wrong person.

Cheers,
Kirk

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:55]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Mon, 09 May 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use lighter weight brake components. I recall seeing a weight comparison between the Pug/Hilux upgrade vs the 300ZX caliper there was a saving in the calipers of a few kg's. Not much but it all helps. other than that what has been mentioned above.

or stroke a 1G and bolt on single turbo.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Tue, 10 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benny G, a couple of weight facts for you.

My 1G-GTE RA28 Auto topped out at 1205 kilograms, the weight split was 49% rear 51% front.

My 1JZ-GTE RA23 Manual tipped the scales at 1140 kilograms, the weight split was 43% rear, and 57% front.

Did I hear someone say "Lead Tipped Arrow", well how about "Depleted Uranium Tipped Ballistic Missile"

Straight line fanflamintasic.

Corners, let us just say that had I kept the RA23, I would have been forced to fit a set of coilovers.

cheers Chuck.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Tue, 10 May 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so with that i calculate i have to re-position 75 kg worth of gear from the front half of the car to the rear half to get 50:50, or close to, to get something reasonable. not easy, but not impossible. can mix between lightening as much as i can up front along with sub install etc in the rear, along with moving battery etc to boot and putting an in tank surge tank and pump... to remove that weight from up front.

cheers,
bennyg

ps. anyone know what sort of money is decent for a 1jz half cut? and what i expect to pay for an ra28 with a straight body and that bout it?
TwinTurboCelica
Regular

November 2002
Re: 1jz into ra28 weight issues Thu, 07 July 2005 23:08 Go to previous message
I have a 1J in a RA28... Ford 9-inch helps with the weight distro... Never have done a weight front to back compare... Also half cage would help I suppose....

I could keep up with an exige at wakefield through the twisty bits....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:half cuts
Next Topic:power of 22r-E engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 18:13:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.040729999542236 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.