Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No turbos mate, atm full exhaust, very mild cams with adjustable cam gears, and small port and polish!!. Tho will prob need hyper agressive cams for it.....hence the Microtech! Hasnt been dynoed yet...altho....an mr2 with less mods achieved 97kw at the rears. also non turbo!!
Will see what happens after some work with timing and ignition. damn-it........I'll bore it out to 2.2 if i have to!! Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 04:23]

Send a private message to this user    
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, should be a beast, hurry up and get some dyno figures so we can drool
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah definately go with the bore, i had mine bored/honed and balanced, think approx. 2.1 maybe less, but yeah definately nice results, additional 9kw at the wheels, going to have some ignition adjustments see how we go, but i'll be happy just to reach 100kw at the treads
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 14:21

No turbos mate, atm full exhaust, very mild cams with adjustable cam gears, and small port and polish!!. Tho will prob need hyper agressive cams for it.....hence the Microtech! Hasnt been dynoed yet...altho....an mr2 with less mods achieved 97kw at the rears. also non turbo!!
Will see what happens after some work with timing and ignition. damn-it........I'll bore it out to 2.2 if i have to!! Razz

Did you noticed a nice increase with the mild cam gear and shaft?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah...definately better results. it was tuned back a little coz when my mechanic tuned it first after the rebuild, it backfired like a madman and resulted in some form of failure. We concluded that the stock ecu could not cope with such advanced timing and and was subsequently tuned back a little less. having looked back, i should have got the Motec he offered me. the cam gears wasnt a choice Laughing had to have it with the cams!
I'll hurry-up when i get time to research and organise. a bit hard with semester exams now looming over me
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah untuned cars with cam gears/shafts can get alittle hairy, probably why i've left the cams till last if i ever decided to get them.
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Show me a pic of your redback muffler please.
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meetch wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 16:07

Show me a pic of your redback muffler please.

they're nothing special looking.
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok. No probs, just like a normal muffler yeah?
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the one that i had a while ago was the same as a stock one
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3" chromie it is Wink
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for n/a cars mufflers with a tip on it r best they give u the best quality sound all n/a cars with canons sound shockin well i havnt heard one that has sounded good but mufflers sound decent if u get a half decent one
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decent mufflers, ie, remus
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
120kW's at the wheels would be near beams performance. the celica's put down about 120kW's from their 140(there's a dyno from a sportivo on here somewhere search if you want to find exact) so maybe 125-130 from a 200hp engine with 10years of engineering on the first version. But anyway good luck with that Smile

Also, mates altenator just died, what would be an acceptable price for a replacement, so far quotes of 140$ (that's with trade in) and 200$ with no trade
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 05 May 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got an alternator you could have cheap, could even deliver it to you at uni! Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
140 sounds good... if its reconditioned... ask on here there will be plenty of ppl with them the 3sgte 185 alt fits also... youll pick on up cheaper
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you won't be able to get all the way to 2.2litres with any standard S-series block if you just bore it out.

You'd need to take off 2mm from each side of the bores - and I think you'll have all off fuck all left between them if you do that!

That's why you should stroke it Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to much money if u ask me for the benefits u get.. but would have good bragin rights
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 14:06

to much money if u ask me for the benefits u get.. but would have good bragin rights

Thats what were after (bragin rights) Laughing
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could put somethin alot cheaper and alot more "herb" lol for the money though and still have the wank factor... haha
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was only kindin' bout boring it out to 2.2, although, the JGTC cars bored their 3sgte to 2.2litres??? after spending sooo much money on the engine, i dont really feel like opening it up again! but will go for as much power as finacially viable! by means, i wont spend an extra $1000 just to get an extra 2 kw at the wheels..but again.. 120kwatw will be some form of target!
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie, just get your mate to reco it himself.Pull aprt the alternator, get new bearings (2 - one each end) and get new brushes (3)if the rod is rooted you can get one machined down for like 5 bux at any brake joint really or give it a good sand and then put it all back together. Thats pretty much it.

Although, the voltage reg sometimes goes(but not that often on Jap cars)

Have fun with it
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 17:32

Charlie, just get your mate to reco it himself.Pull aprt the alternator, get new bearings (2 - one each end) and get new brushes (3)if the rod is rooted you can get one machined down for like 5 bux at any brake joint really or give it a good sand and then put it all back together. Thats pretty much it.

Although, the voltage reg sometimes goes(but not that often on Jap cars)

Have fun with it

sweeet yeah I think I gotta do this too.. hey where is the voltage reg? and also, where dyou get like the parts from? just an auto elec store?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
regulator is inside it
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah voltage reg is inside and yep, auto elec.Pull it apart and take the bits to him and ask for a new identicle unit-dont let them say that they will only reco it.Thats bullshit and i've had that tried on me.IM gonna reco both my current and the one for my new car.I have access to a lathe tho which is good.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone know what the "auto" drivers side power window button does... mine seems to be missing a switch.

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darren (DarSBB) had his ST162 bored + stroked out to 2.2l didn't he? Can't have been that good, he sold it and bought a 180sx. Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 06 May 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Afaik both the JGTC and D1 Altezza both stroke & bore the 3S-GTE to get it out to 2.2litres.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 07 May 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the auto button brings the window all the way up or all the wayd own wen u just press it
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 07 May 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys Smile

Yeah the auto button is pretty simple, if it doesn't click into position when you press it down then you are missing the little plastic bit in the control box. Just watch that when you pull it apart to have a look (if that's the problem) that you don't lose the two springs that are in there. They're not very big.

Also does anyone know of any wreckers in melb with lots of 162 interior parts? Looking for a drivers side electric window control box, my passenger window button is only putting out 3 volts. I've tried cleaning all the contacts in the box but no luck. Any other solutions to this?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 07 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey - I need help quickly! Those guys who've done engine conversions and found that their gearboxes foul on the crossmember - how did you fix the problem? Did you just take to it with a mallet? I cant remove the crossmembers from the car - dont have access to a powerful enough rattle gun. Quick reply would be apperciated - the engine is sitting in the car on 2 mounts and supported by the hoist! So annoying - its only out by 5mm or so, just enough for the mounts not to line up properly! Mad
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 07 May 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem smashed_wombat, I simply bolted the engine mounts onto the crossmember 1st and that gave it a little play to install the long bolts through them.

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youll find that most huge rattle guns wont undo it either mine wont and it is one big mutha of a rattle gun... but cauz it sunder the car and got dirt and water and corrosion etc they lock up use a huge fuckin breaker bar ... just lift the engine a little get a m8 to push the engine / box off the member it wouyld only be sittin on it by 20 mm or so right? if so just push it off but lift the engine and take the weight so it dont just drop down and risk breaking something
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie - maybe its only supost to have 3 volts?... if not ask warrior hes the parts man for the 162... hes sure to have the thing ur lookin for
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are those aw11 guys post whorews or what lol fuckin gunna pass us Razz
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:00

Damn straight Twisted Evil

now I need somebody to volunteer and go to there car sometime, have a look at their dizzy and tell me how many wires is on the plug that goes to it. I would on mine but I can't see my dizzy without pulling have the engine apart, I don't remember the 3sge being as bad as a 3sgte
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 wires

trigger
sync
12 volt
earth

know that shit off by heart fuckt with that thing one to many times lol
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The actual gearbox isn't on the crossmember, it might actually be the end of the sump nearest the flywheel that's touching. Possibly the bottom of the flywheel housing is resting on the lip that runs along the crossmember... It's hard to tell, but whatever it is its barely touching. The front and drivers side mounts bolted in fine, but the others are a litte skewed - just enough to stop the bolts getting through. Confused I'll try what Warrior suggested (thanks!).
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hairdressers down at the AW11 forum has just about passed us!! hmmmmmm I wonder what they talk about.....!!!

oooooohhhhhhhhhh..... Shocked .....Bec Cartwright is pregnant!!!ahhh
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 08 May 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

Im just curious, what does the "ECON" button do? It is located next to the "A/C" (Aircon) button.

It seems to perform the same function as the Aircon button, but there has to be something else.

Cheers
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:57

4 wires

trigger
sync
12 volt
earth

know that shit off by heart fuckt with that thing one to many times lol
What does the sync wire do?
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was told when I was a kid that the Econ button (short for economy?) made it so the aircon turns off when the car is idling, to conserve fuel.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey anyone got an idea how long ignition coils/modules last? and when should they be replaced? for a 3sge of course
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wondering if my mags on my st162 would look good white? and if painting them white is a good idea?

Chrome or white?

Mitch.

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/9159/dcp034488ku.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 03:53]

CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
econm a/c, its not quite as cold as normal a/c, so even though the a/c is on it just running at lessor capacity, econ stands for economy, so less cold =less force on the motor
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:06

berad wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:00

Damn straight Twisted Evil

yeah well at least the 162 thread is the ORIGIONAL big thread. Very Happy

I had to attack my crossmember with a hammer when I put the LSD in
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer wat warrior said is the best way i did that the second time round so much quicker and easier it just falls into place instead of pushin it round gettin angry

sync wire dont ask me lmao.. just got it off my ems wiring diagram..
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.cox.net/cboehm/tcamry.jpg

i was reading abotu this 3sfe fuck me im suprised its still running... hes runnin the standard fpg ontop of a rising rate fpg... which is a timebomb in its self lil own a t3 turbo pushin 5psi yes its only 5psi but 5psi from a t3 is alot different from 5psi from a ct26... he also claims 174hp at the flywheel.. im curious to know where he got the flywheel hp number from as the only way to measure power at a flywheel is to remove the engine from the car i highly doubt he did that... lol the list goes on

but if he had researchd a lil more this would be a kewl lil car... who would have thought an st beatin a sx... lol i knew they had it in them Razz
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why wouldn't he intercool that thing man?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that with the Econ button depressed the A/C just turns itself on and off every 5 minutes or so, keeps the car cool without running at full power to save fuel.

I got the engine back in ok - managed to get the N-S crossmember out without removing the E-W one. Then I could bolt up the left and right mounts without the crossmember interfering! Just slid it back in and re-bolted the front and back mounts - too easy! Thanks for the tip karl.

Question: Could someone take a quick look at their heater hoses and tell me which one runs to the tap on the firewall? Does the one from the water outlet on the head go to the tap or the other pipe from the water pump? My hoses have gotten mixed up somewhere along the line...
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it dont make a difference which configuration the heater hoses go in ones feed for the core ones drain they btoh run to the thermostat thingo so dont matter
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, you're right. I thought about it (shock horror) - you'd want your hot water from the outlet going to the tap and the cold water from the drain going back to the cool end of the system at the thermostat.

Silly question no. 2 for the night - should there be two copper washers on the fuel filter fitting? I think I've lost one...
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes I'm pretty sure there should be! I have a pair here but i highly doubt its worth sending them over from Adelaide Razz
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 09 May 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for the info fellas
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 19:54

Silly question no. 2 for the night - should there be two copper washers on the fuel filter fitting? I think I've lost one...

Definitely 2 washers !
1 either side of the Pipe.

You shouldn't re-use them as they get compressed when you tighten up the bolt. Once used they can't be compressed any further and don't seal properly.

Cheers
T.
teknoboi
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heyz, im new im about to buy a st162 SX 1985 model

================================================== =====
late 1985 model, white hatchback,
5 spd manual, 2litre twincam 3SGE engine, 150 000kms,
Remus twin muffler,
car is in good condition,
near new tyres, belts replaced, serviced regularly,
with aircon, VDO CD player, dark tints.
a good cheap car with fair amount of power!!!

anything i should look for?

he wants 2800 but i need to haggle it down a tad
what u rekon ??
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rust in boot sill........... is common... cant think atm thats all from me lol
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teknoboi wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 15:18

Remus twin muffler,

he wants 2800 but i need to haggle it down a tad
what u rekon ??

ummm that's a good price!
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teknoboi wrote on Tue, 10 May 2005 15:18

Remus twin muffler,

Oil leaks, CV Boots split, power steering fluid leaks etc.etc.

Drive it up onto some Ramps and have a look underneath, or take it to a MEchanic you know, or the RAC.

When was the last time the shock were replaced ?
It's a 20year old car, if they haven't been replaced they will certainly need to be.

But as Rob said sounds like a Fair price !

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:34]

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 10 May 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
For that price the paint job and body work might be showing its age.most likely all original,having only 150k on it.

Just look for oil leaks,check the suspension,g/box work nice.selects fine,no crunching etc.

edit: and when i have my econ on and im sitting in heavy traffic my idle speed varies. up and down. it switches about every 2-3mins.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:51]

Pages (63): [ «  <  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:55:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014352083206177 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.