Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Getting nut off crank pulley.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 06:03 Go to next message
I'm changing my timing belt as my engine is out i thought it would be easier to do it out of the car.
The nut that holds the crank pulley on wont come off.
I have put a screw driver in the teeth of the ring gear like the manual says, socket and breaker bar with and 2 metre long pipe with me sitting on the engine to stop it from moving and a mate trying to loosen it but still wont come off.
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe somehow get it down to a mech. and get them to hit it with a rattle gun
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe yeah i'll just throw the engine in the back of my mums 83 charade.
I isn't a reverse thread??
knackers
Regular

November 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
proberly has'nt been removed since it left the factory.They put loctite on all there nuts and bolts.You will have to get hold of a rattel gun to get the fu;;er off.If you have a compressor you can get borrow one of your machanic take ya 5 mins to get it of.
good luck cya Smile
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah you gotta put an extension bar on the socket that is long enough to hit the ground, turn the pulley till the end of the bar is sitting against the ground and flick the starter for a millisecond.

Wallah! Its not loose. It works everytime!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you just need to stop the flywheel from turning and then get a massive breaker bar onto it and crack it... You'll get it off... Make sure that you don't strip the bolt though...
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tend to use the starter motor method too. It is quite effective.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

as my engine is out i thought it would be easier to do it out of the car.

his engine is out guy's, so the 'starter method' need not apply....Smile

plus i seen things broken doing it that way......

Brett, just grow some muscles dude..... Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 22 December 2002 11:39]

inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got the same problem, but gave up when i cut my hand open trying to use brut force(sledgehammer) on the f**cker. isn't the starter motor way a little dangerous??
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate this job...

once i had to take the sump off, and jam a piece of aluminium between a crankshaft counterweight and the block body to stop the sucker turning, then used a 2m long breaker bar plus pipe on the nut. (not good if you plan on reusing the crank Smile )

another time, i wedged a BIG screwdriver between the flywheel and the block, used above said breaker bar, and broke the screwdriver

another goer was putting 2 bolts into the holes on the rear of the crank where the flywheel mounts, then wedge a 2m long jimmy bar between the bolts, then use 2m breaker bar again (broke 3 grade 10 HT bolts)

last idea has worked a few times for me...

would like to know how good a rattle gun is though...

cheers
ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steel plate or small piece of chain bolted to the flywheel and block works a treat. Starter motor and breaker bar also a goodie.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thanks everyone for the ideas.
Plan to buy a 19mm socket and try again just this time i wont have the crappy convertor in between the breaker bar and socket..we broke the convertor.
Is the thread and left or right hand thread??
Or if that doesn't work i'll see if I can borrow a air rachet.
and if that doesn't work i wont bother about changing it.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try hitting it hard with a hammer, using some kind of adhesive lubricant (maybe let it settle for a couple of days) make sure you are turning it the right way (some are left hand thread), and make *very* sure you have alot of leverage and equipment that doesn't snap off before the nut gets off.
Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to spend some cash to get this stuff off.
I ended up buying an air compressor for these kind of problems.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
air ratchet and oxy torch - heat up using the oxy, then, hit with rattle gun - will come off.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen a left hand thread on a 5ME cam gear, I assume you have tried turning the nut anti clockwise already? If it isn't left hand, you won't do any damage by trying to tighten it up further. The torque should give you some idea if it wants to play the game, but remember - no gorilla tactics!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Sun, 22 December 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Embarassed , meant turning it clockwise (if it is left hand). Surely there is someone on the site who can give a definitive answer on the thread type?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's definately the standard anti-clockwise to remove it thread.
Like someone said, hit it with WD40 every day, & get a hammer & just tap the head of the bolt a couple times.
Then use one of the above methods. If you fuck the bolt they're not too pricey from Toyota, I think 8 bucks or so?
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK got the nut off. Borrowed the mechanics rattel gun at the same time i got the Engine Hoist.
Then jumped on the breaker bar after hitting it with the gun.

Now the bloody pulley wont come off.
I have tried a 3 point puller and a 2 both didnt work.
Is there a special pulley puller to get??
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can it not come off.. get a pulley puller and start turning it and if you cant turn it put a big bar on the shifter or socket you are using to turn it.
.. you should try pulling apart a big valves gearbox that has been corroded with salt water... now that basdard didnt want to come apart.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it was the wrong kinda of puller. In my manual it shows one with 2 bolts on the outside and the center one. Theres 2 holes on the pulley that 2 bolts could go in to. Going to be hard now as i put the engine back in today.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you have one of these: http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/w89705-2.jpg
This is a timing gear puller!

From just doing a few searches it seems that these things are also being sold as crank pullers! But from some pictures I have just seen I wouldn't reccommend it! Just picture one of those small bolts snaping and landing in your eye:?

[Updated on: Mon, 23 December 2002 13:10]

rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i need where can i get me one of them.
Nah i got a jaw style one. It sucks.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.houseoftools.com/content/houseoftoolscom/images/250/Products/K/K_D/K_D_2291.jpg
You get these from just about any auto store! Just be very carefull using them!

Do a search and you'll find some not so good pictures taken from when these things fail!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1 - the one above this post is a steering wheel puller.

the gear puller i have has like claws on the end of it - to go behind the pulley and grab it forward - is big - does the job well!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Mon, 23 December 2002 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FreakGrega,
you will find that the pic above is the type of puller toyota recommend to pull the crank pulley off.....
that one looks a little different to mine, but it it the same design...

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate that puller is used for steering wheels and crank pullys!
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate using those puller sets with the jaws,they always slip at the wrong time
anyway all ive ever used is a couple of big arsed square shank flat blade screwdrivers,and just slowly walk the pulley off,its not a taper pulley so shouldnt be all that tight
if so as said before wd40 soaking for a few days can do the trick

Cam
roadrunner
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should never touch an engine with a rattle gun. thats a disgrace. they are unpredictable and damage components. get a big breaker bar and do it more professionally than that.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha profesional, a breaker bar with a LARGE pole.

haha
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i got we one of those pullers in the picture above and will try that.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just make sure you stay above it, not in front of it!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Tue, 24 December 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"you should never touch an engine with a rattle gun. thats a disgrace. they are unpredictable and damage components. get a big breaker bar and do it more professionally than that. "
-roadrunner

Sometimes it's hard to find the room to fit a big breaker bar in when you don't have an two or four post hoist to fulfil that "professional" profile. Try doing it on an ST162, you can fit a smallish breaker bar, even with ramps to put the car up a bit, you just can't get to it from the top, have to go from underneath. Plus some crank nuts are on *extremely* tight. My "professional" (retired however) mechanic uses rattle guns on crank pulley nuts, and doesn't think twice.

I'm not a professional by any means - I'm a home mechanic and I work on my cars and thats it, but it's not extremely likely that a rattle gun will damage components. Of course, I don't recommend going to the rattle gun straight away, but it's an option for some external nuts/bolts.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Wed, 25 December 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its all good now. Bought a pulley puller like the one in the picture above and got it off in 30sec's. Worked a charm.

Should the nut be done up using a tension Wrench??
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Getting nut off crank pulley. Thu, 26 December 2002 21:02 Go to previous message
yeah its easy when you got the right stuff.

thanks for the clarification feral4mr2!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter A/C wiring
Next Topic:Clutch place in Canberra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 13:13:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056729316711426 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.